Digital/chemical or combo water quality testers?

puddlejumper388

Hi everyone, looking for advice as to who is using what to test the varying water quality levels we all commonly look at for overall tank health. Are there combo digital units out there that help cut down testing times and provide consistent testing, or are there other forms of testing people are using to find out these properties? Just looking to see what people are using to test their tank water.

Cheers.

Hi @puddlejumper388, sure there are awesome laboratory spec testers out there for TDS and pH, but very accurate ones worth buying start at about $200 ( average $500 for a really accurate pH pen). It all depends on budget. As shrimping is already expensive, most people opt for the below options.

I find the pH pens sold for aquarium use are not as accurate as they should be as the probe dries out- unless you keep it in storage solution. And they are also slow to indicate pH.

API master test kit has everything you need apart from Calcium testing and GH/KH. API gets a bad wrap in reviews as people say they struggle to read the results. The reason for this is that they do not put the test tube flush against the white card as per the package insert. There also seems to be some colour-blindness issues. 

I have tested the API personally against a highly accurate lab pH tester and the accuracy to one decimal is acceptable.

The KH/GH test kit from API is also the most popular.

Be careful with Calcium test kits. Most are designed for Marine aquariums and are not sensitive enough for freshwater shrimping. The ONLY brand out there that I have found is highly accurate is the Salifert Calcium test kit.

You only really need a Ca2+ test kit if you want to fiddle around with your Ca:Mg ratios.

If you want fancy equipment: our sponsor The Tech Den sells an aquarium pH probe and controller. Our other sponsor Newbreed Aquatics also has really cool TDS pens for sale.

If you are dead set on lab equipment, I can send you a few links.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks KeenShrimp,
 its that sort of advice and info that makes this hobby easier to enjoy. I don't know many who are cash heavy, so having those tested options that don't break the bank, so much easier than wasting money on gimmicks.

Will do some more research on the ones you have used. Thanks again mate.

• Like 1

A TDS meter is a must have for Shrimps. It comes in handy if you keep software fish as well. I use it to maintain parameters for both my shrimp tanks and my softwater fish tanks.

If you already have pH, GH/KH test kits, then all you need is a TDS pen.

Otherwise, those will be the first things I would suggest buying if you are starting out - TDS meter, pH, GH/KH

Of course, if you are cycling a new tank, then an Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate kit is essential. 

When you have more funds, you can get Calcium test kit, and anything else that takes your fancy.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 3

Thanks jayc, I noted KeenShrimp saying some of the TDS pens weren't that reliable. Is there a brand/unbranded one(s) that are better than others? I have the API Freshwater Master test kit so the only combined one I can find (minus the TDS) is the API 5 in 1 test strip kit with 25 test strips, might be the way to go. Interested to see which TDS units are being used by shrimpers on here.

11 minutes ago, puddlejumper388 said:

Is there a brand/unbranded one(s) that are better than others?

I use a HM Digital AP01 TDS meter.

The ones being sold by the SKF sponsors are good enough. They don't have to be lab grade, super accurate. If you are concerned, you can always buy calibration solution and calibrate the TDS meter with it. 

TDS meters are way more reliable and easier to use than pH pens.

Afterall, you are only testing aquarium water, not drinking water.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 2

Hi @puddlejumper388, I would not recommend the test strips from API ( apologies, I should have clarified). The liquid ones with drops and little test tubes are the accurate ones- the drops last for ages ???. The TDS pens from suppliers like our sponsors are reliable. Some at suspicious prices on EBay, not so much!

• Like 1