Hoping she is just moulting

Baccus

While mucking about in the tanks this evening rearranging power leads and condensing power boards I noticed this girl swimming funny and then anchored herself at the front of the tank near the surface. What got my attention was the sides that normally cover the eggs where flared out like wings making her look really odd.

I am hoping she is just moulting (did a large water change earlier in the day) and its not something more sinister going on.

P1130175_zpsuo2lt0vc.jpg

Sorry about the whitish dried duckweed leaves that are partially obscuring her

P1130171_zpsmwtown6u.jpg

@Baccus I have had this before: incomplete moulting- the new shell was not yet ready when the water change triggered it. I have had this in 2 shrimp. One I euthanised painlessly in the freezer, the other looked fine and was foraging as normal. He lived well until his next moult: he was unable to moult. You unfortunately need to put this one out of its misery, I am sorry.

I also had a shrimp with this condition, in my case it was realy pronounced on one side and barely noticable on the other. It was behaving normally and so so I let her go and she recovered well. I hope she turns out OK but if keen is right then I'm sorry for your loss.

Just saw her again and she is making her way about the tank, but now the males are starting to follow her about wanting breed. I will see if I can find her again tomorrow and if she still has not managed to shed or is having trouble moving about I will probably end up having to kill her. Shame because she was a nice chocolate.