The Dangers of Posting Plants

Cryptocorynus

Hi again everyone, and yes, I'm going to be a Negative Nelson again and share with you one of my worst experience ever with Australia Post, which just happened to have come to a glorious climax this afternoon.

On the 3rd of May (a Tuesday) I was sent a large hygro attached to a piece of cholla wood and a gigantic magenta barclaya by a woman in Victoria through Express Post. I normally receive Express Post parcels two days after they are sent as I live out of the major cities, but when Friday came around and it still hadn't arrived she launched a customer enquiry to find out where it was. Apparently the parcel was in Brisbane (where it should have been the day after it was sent). However, Monday came around and it still hadn't arrived... then Tuesday, and Wednesday, and Thursday... and a week after the enquiry was lodged it still had not arrived. At this point we were both sure it had been lost and were working up an arguement to get compensation from Australia Post.

Just as we were going to get serious and send our request for compensation, it strangely turned up at my house about an hour ago (Monday 16th May). I wasn't sure what had happened, but I knew whatever was inside must have been in a pretty bad way as it had been in there without light for a day off two weeks.

dewftr4.PNG

The sequence of events.

D01D0B32-007F-4AD3-8D25-F511C21C5595_zps

6C5BEE3B-378A-4F56-B7E8-56F64627A758_zps

The hygro I was sent...

OqlYd9l.jpg

The hygro after two weeks in the post...

QCyM6OK.jpg

The cholla wood had even started to gather mould. 

8xD2KA2.jpg

The barclaya I was sent...

j6XixzG.jpg

Z3UJcnp.jpg

... and what I received. It was rotting badly and the smell was horrible! I think I am going to be able to revive it (it has one half-decent leaf) but was very hesitant about putting it in my tank if it had anything that would come from it and kill my fish. I'm normally pretty relaxed about putting plants I collect into my tanks, but this was very different! 

Edited by Cryptocorynus

2 hours ago, Cryptocorynus said:

Australia Post

Found your problem ... 

Most time they are ok, but when they get it wrong, it's really wrong!!

What's your plans with the plants?

They need CO2, a lot of it.

I have revived crypts at the point of melting by putting them in a clear air tight container, filling it with Soda water (the kind you can buy in coles) and placing it in the sun. The high CO2 levels really helped it pull through.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jayc said:

What's your plans with the plants?

Well, I'm going to attempt to revive the barclaya, but the hygro is too far gone. I need to take them in to the post office tomorrow anyway. I can tell you, they'll be regretting that they need to see things in person as part of their process for claims once they smell everything!

1 hour ago, jayc said:

I have revived crypts at the point of melting by putting them in a clear air tight container, filling it with Soda water (the kind you can buy in coles) and placing it in the sun. The high CO2 levels really helped it pull through.

That is such a good idea! So you can really just use straight soda water? It doesn't burn them or anything?

Edited by Cryptocorynus

Neverheard of co2 burn. It's not like using too much Excel or glut. Mix with some tank water to be on the cautious side. 

It's just high levels of co2 gas. You could put in some macro nutrients like potassium as well.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, jayc said:

Neverheard of co2 burn. It's not like using to much Excel or glut. Mix with some tank water to be on the cautious side. 

It's just high levels of co2 gas. You could put in some macro nutrients like potassium as well.

Wow, well, thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to try it! 

do what you can to save the barclaya, ill send you some hygro but you'll have to reattach it to the wood.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Foxpuppet said:

do what you can to save the barclaya, ill send you some hygro but you'll have to reattach it to the wood.

You would do that? I'll pay for postage if you wanted. 

• Like 2

Wow! good luck let us know how it all pans out interested in the revival process.

Lol gotta love australia post. I had my plants sent on a tuesday from qld to nsw should of got at thelatest on friday. Attended post office to check if package was there to be told it wasnt delivered they were done for the day and to come back monday. The seller checked the tracking and it was delivered at 4pm. Thankfully the post office was open on saturday so i could get them.

I sent shrimp once when i was in the bush and the package was late took 11 days express post as it sat on a conveyor belt going around and around until they investigated my complaint. 

Most shrimp survived but i couldnt complain fully anyway since they cant be sent in the post

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzShrimp said:

Most shrimp survived but i couldnt complain fully anyway since they cant be sent in the post

I send my fish through Fastways. You should try that in the future. They're a lot more interested in issues than Australia Post. 

47 minutes ago, Cryptocorynus said:

I send my fish through Fastways. You should try that in the future. They're a lot more interested in issues than Australia Post. 

What is the cost like using Fastways? I have always assume it is a lot more expensive so I have never really go check it out myself. Do you also mind sharing the information and process? Do we drop it off at their depot or do they come pick up, etc? Sorry I am just starting to think using a proper courier for shipping including larger packages like fish.

Don't forget the new timings for express post too, it's no longer as express lol

Don't forget the new timings for express post too, it's no longer as express lol

Huh? Did Auspost change their 'express' post t&c?

Sorry @jc12, I typed up a complete reply to you and then I had some computer troubles and lost it. Basically, I'm able to drop the packages off at a local general store (which is on a main road) for it to get picked up. Normally it costs about $20 to send a large esky away. Fastways has a complex way of determining postage costs through various colour zones, so I think you should hear that first-hand. I would recommend them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoGi said:

Can the general public use Fastways? Or do you need an account with them.

I have an account with them but I'm quite sure (just like with Australia Post) that it's only optional. 

Compensation (including $22 spent on postage) has just been denied.

gy89gy8o.PNG

A war has just been started. 

Compensation (including $22 spent on postage) has just been denied.

gy89gy8o.PNG

A war has just been started. 

At the very least refund of the postage costs.... Express post took how long?

I wonder why they did not address the fact that it was a express post parcel and it took 13!!! days to get there. The fact that there was plants is a different matter. IF you pay extra for express post there should be some kind of compensation for it taking that long.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Foxpuppet said:

At the very least refund of the postage costs.... Express post took how long?

Like @Disciple said, it took 13 days. I'm definitely going to be taking this further. Getting the monetary compensation is now my second priority. What I mainly want to do now is address with them the fact cases like this shouldn't be allowed to be closed in their favour. They are judge, jury and executioner at the moment and need to be knocked down a few notches and shown that operating like this is totally wrong in every sense of the word. It's like they see themselves as above the law and able to do whatever they please. They will keep operating like this if no one stands up to them, and that's what I plan on doing. 

50 minutes ago, Cryptocorynus said:

Like @Disciple said, it took 13 days. I'm definitely going to be taking this further. Getting the monetary compensation is now my second priority. What I mainly want to do now is address with them the fact cases like this shouldn't be allowed to be closed in their favour. They are judge, jury and executioner at the moment and need to be knocked down a few notches and shown that operating like this is totally wrong in every sense of the word. It's like they see themselves as above the law and able to do whatever they please. They will keep operating like this if no one stands up to them, and that's what I plan on doing. 

what do they mean in that line clause 74.1.2 about prohibited carriage? are they trying to say your plants are illegally being posted?

31 minutes ago, Foxpuppet said:

what do they mean in that line clause 74.1.2 about prohibited carriage? are they trying to say your plants are illegally being posted?

I have no idea. I think they're trying to say they're not wanting to take any responsibility for perishables (maybe even that you shouldn't be sending them?), but in the form I had to fill out to apply for compensation they wanted to know what was in the parcel and had options to tick such as "fruit and vegetables" and I think from memory also "plants" so I'm pretty sure that seeing a they were on the form right next to things you would definitely be able to post, perishables probably aren't prohibited.