Tashmac's Zebra Tank

Tashmac

Hi All

Im new to this Forum so thought I would put up my new Zebra Tank for Opinions criticisms etc. I see a few familiar names from another Forum Im a member of.

Tank Size - 90 x 45 x 45

Filtration - Sump with Bean animal overflow (marine Pure & mat)

Tank is heated to 22 deg, will add a chiller prior to next summer.

Tank is open top and the sump has a float valve connected to me 200lt RO tank.

TDS - 35

PH - ?

GH/KH - ?

I have 22 Zebra's which are being fed shrimp cuisine, snow and Almond Leaves. Looking for a supply of Mulberry leaves to add to this.

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg

Thanks for looking, please offer you advise, as I want to give this a real good go.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 3

Hi Mark,

Just the fact that you keep zebras are impressive! How long have you had them?

• Like 1

I've only had them a couple of months, but I did keep them a few years go without much success. More is know about them now, so cross fingers I can keep them going.

Looks like a pretty awesome setup. I can't really tell from the pictures if there is good algae cover on the rocks. Zebs seem to like grazing algae in a similar manner to Sulawesi shrimp - relying less on prepared foods if there is plenty of algae available. Increasing your photoperiod may help to boost algae growth. Your TDS at 35 is OK but in the wild TDS is almost always less than 20, so if you have any issues you could lower it a bit further. Good plan with the chiller. High temps are definitely best avoided with these guys. Best of luck, keep us updated as to how you go. 

• Like 1

Half of the rocks have algae and half are new, I will concentrate on growing algae (something my planted tanks never have trouble doing ?) . Wondering if I should be adding any Minerals, such as Boss Mineral Balls ?  

Edited by Tashmac
  • Like 1

Nice clean impressive looking setup, did u test all the rocks before putting them in the tank? 

• Like 1

No but I have always used these in other tanks with shrimps. Should I be concerned about anything in Particular ?

6 hours ago, Tashmac said:

Half of the rocks have algae and half are new, I will concentrate on growing algae (something my planted tanks never have trouble doing 1f62c.png) . Wondering if I should be adding any Minerals, such as Boss Mineral Balls ?  

As a general rule I avoid adding anything that unduly raises TDS. Low TDS is key. 

You can do the vinegar test but not always certain. take them out dry them and drop some vinegar on them if they bubble their no good cause they alter your WP

• Like 1

Hey If you are suspicious about a rock and not sure if vinegar test is going to give you a definitive answer I think it is an option to leave a sample in a tiny container of RO or rainwater and monitor pH and/or EC for increase.

PS best of luck to you :-) I love these shrimps. I think it's great that you have a 200L sump and plan to use a chiller next summer. Hopefully people can get to the point of a couple of generations and then swap genes with each other to increase the hardiness and make them more accessible for the less vigilant keepers out there. :-)

love n peace

will