Shrimp tail rot?

WaterWalker

Ok, so I wasn't planning on going straight into a "please help me" thread, but my stress levels just spiked.

As the heading suggests, is it even possible? First question.

I will describe what I saw in extensive details, because my phone camera is very poor (I blame Sony), and secondly I can only get a better camera tomorrow (GMT+2 here by me, so it's 10 in the evening)

Background - I got 10 Jellies in Feb, of which one was a rilli. It survived for about two weeks. Death was unknown as the tank was cycled and params were good. (It wasn't an impulse buy, so I made sure that the tank was ready for them). Anyways, females were in berry, and when the shrimplets were big enough, I saw some colour irregularities. But that's a different, and sorta funny story. Because of the colour irregularities, I knew I'd have to separate the different colours. So a plan was made to get a second tank up to speed for shrimp occupation. All went according to plan. No complications during the separation. No deaths. Yet. Touch wood.

Ok, now to the current issue. In the tank that the shrimp were moved to, I saw a female with the following:

The back end of the tail is black. What is that?

Just kidding. Full details. Female is roughly 1.5cm long (about 3 fifths of an inch). From between the 3rd and 2nd last pleopods all the way to the end of the tail it is extremely dark brown, almost black. The last 2 pleopods don't function at all. The body is also a lot thinner there than what it should be. The shrimp can't swim, and when it does try, the entire back end is curled into the body. So it's confined to the substrate and wherever it can climb.

I'm trying to think of a good analogy. Uhm... Beef jerkey, maybe?

I have been dosing the tank with Bio Elite Heal All for the past ten days, so if it is viral, bacterial or wound related, it should have gotten better. It doesn't appear to be a difformity, as it's getting worse.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

WaterWalker

Sent from my D2005 using Tapatalk

Hi @WaterWalker,

welcome to SKF.

Sorry to hear the news of that shrimp, it doesn't sound good.

It might be too far gone to find a cure for it.

It certainly sounds like bacterial infection, but a picture close up of the area will help.  

A full report of your water parameters would be useful as well to spot any possible irregularities.

Unfortunately, using that general purpose multi cure medicine will not help. It's not strong enough. It's like trying to treat cancer with Panadol or aspirin.

While you are working on reporting back with a pic and water params, have a read of the Diseases and Diagnosis sticky thread.