GUTTED!!!

plecofan09

Morning guys,

just work up this morning and went to the garage, turn on the lights to find all of my shrimps dead!

i was gutted!!

SO then had to scoop them all out , and i was wondering what the hell happen???? dirty hands , chemicals anything new to the tank????

the only thing i could think of was that my father in law was spraying some of my plants with bug spray, but he was pretty careful not to spray my spinach leaves.

I gave all my shrimps spinach leave last night , but i also had my hands in the tanks in the garage cleaning and arranging the wood around.

So i went to the small tanks in the house and turn on the light to find all the crs and some yellow shrimps dead as well.

Well that left me with one anwser it must be the spinach leave as the tanks in the house i did not touch at all i just dropped the spinach leave in and went to bed.

So must be the bug spray just been in the same area must of effected the leaves, i did boil the leaves for over 2mins but guess i still had some effect as it killed all my shrimps.

Now i 'm not really sure what i am going to do now .....keep going and start again or give up?

amazing that most of the cherry survived .. it seem only the expensive shrimps died...

Just that everthing was breeding so well .

So guys if you are growing food for your shrimps make sure not to spray any chemicals at all.

Gutted at the moment but i will get over it not looking forward to coming home from work today to empty tanks.

Garage is not the best place for fish tank I recon, dust and chemicals can get under the garage door and into your tank and tends to get really hot in the garage too. I lost a lot of fish before when my all my tanks was in the garage.

Ace

Terribly sorry to hear that mate! :dejection:

Keeping going! I'd take the opportunity to reset and thinking about what to do next. I plant my spinach in a big pot so it can be moved whenever I spray chemicals around the garden.

That's awful.....really sorry to hear. Not uncommon, many hobbyist have experienced this dreadful scene. Just take a deep breath, and slowly re-think & re-build your colony. I'll send you some shrimps when you're ready, just have to PM me....

thanks guys

yeah , im starting to think about it more , and getting more upset thinking about it.

hopefully when i get home there might be still some left as a saw 1 sss cbs and a few ss crs still alive , but who knows if there are still there when i get home.

Worse part was that i invested a lot of money in them and they were all going very well.

the chocolates and rilli were all berried with babies as well plenty of ss and sss crs breeding....

Thanks for the offer BB , not sure what im going to do now will have a deep think and see what i am going to do.

hopefully i still have enough to start again.

Bugger, but at least this may be a good time to re-evaluate what you are doing and what you want to achieve. After losing the bulk of my fish in a series of unfortunate incidents, I was able critically look at what I was doing, and I realised most of my equipment was too inefficient and power hungry. Having empty tanks meant it was easy to swap filters and set up the tanks differently, plus with the reduced work load I was able to enjoy my remaining tanks more. I've since upgraded my equipment and slowly building back to where I was. I still regret losing the fish, but it has actually been the best thing for me to better enjoy my aquariums.

Unfortunately aquariums tend to teach us lessons the hard, expensive way.

sorry for your loss, hope you work things out soon, ive been in that dreadful loop too, but shrimpkeeping is really a great hobby, dont give up since you already had so much success prior to the spinach leaves!

Yes Mate! very sorry to hear about your loss, I had much the same disaster when I was new to the hobby. A young family member went mad with fly spray killing about 600 shrimp of different types, I was only left with 7 red cherries two yellows and one crystal black, a couple of thousand $$$$ worth of ss+sss crystals and about $300 worth of cherries all dead. I didn't give on shrimp but I am now a dedicated Cherry breeder and concentrate on line breeding new colour var. Stay in the shrimp game, don't give up, the rewards are just around the corner.Regards

Sorry for all the losses mate.

But don't give up, Live, learn, progress and move forward aye!

Sorry to hear. I had a similar thing happen to me with a colony of peppermints and it was devastating to watch and wait. Maybe go check out a mates tank and see if it makes you want to do it again.

Very sorry to hear that dude. I went through a similar thing when I first started and now am careful about fly sprays. This is a wonderful hobby and I hope you won't give up.

Thanks guys , i feel a lot better now,

just checked the tank still got about about 5 s-ss grade crs and 2 sss cbs and 2-3 cbs s-ss and one female cbs still berried (woohoo)

all the chocolate shrimp died bar 1 and she is berried(woohoo again)

So just gonna start back with them , hopefully no more deaths ......

gonna be a slow come back but hopefully save up some money and buy some more high grades shrimp from the top breeders...

will update if anymore deaths occur...

thanks guys .

hey man i am so sorry for your loss!!! it happens to everyone at least once mate i've experienced something like this too. i'd be happy to donate some culls to help you out (as long as you pay for postage) when you are ready. there's not that many shrimp lovers out there and we gotta take care of each other :)

hey man i am so sorry for your loss!!! it happens to everyone at least once mate i've experienced something like this too. i'd be happy to donate some culls to help you out (as long as you pay for postage) when you are ready. there's not that many shrimp lovers out there and we gotta take care of each other :)
+1' date=' I can share some yellows too.[/quote']Thanks guys for the offers makes me feel a whole lot better knowing that there are members out there willing to help out:encouragement:.

Oh no! So sorry for your loss, that must have been awful :(

Really glad to hear that you've found some survivors, though. Especially the berried CBS and Chocolate Cherry, that was lucky! Hopefully they will all be okay now and you'll be able to build up your numbers again :)

I know how you feel. Past few year it happen to me every year fist year 2f golden shrimp tank . Next crs 4f tank .after CBS 3f tank. Few years work one naight gone. just littel no careful you can kill the tanks shrimp in one naight.

But don't give up:p . from 1000s CBS left 20 to 30 CBS ,now 3f tank full agin just in few mounts time, so take care what you have now they will breed back to you. Any thing need help jus sand me a pm.

Thanks guys , just checked the tank all looks good now , have not had any more deaths.

So hopefully they will breed soon.

Sorry to hear about your loss...

Have heard of a few people recently losong all their fish/shrimp.

Diversification is the key...

Today I have diversified my tanks so if I have a problem with one tank I won't lose all my fish/shrimp of that kind.

Have spread my species throughout all my tanks instead of having all one kind in one tank/system.

Same with feeding, if you feed different things on different days you can stop this sort of thing happening and taking them all out in one hit.