The Most Awesome Shrimp Tank Journal Ever!

OzShrimp

Now you have somewhere to put your coffee cup while shrimp staring???

When my youngest daughter got home she made me laugh. She asked me how i was going to put the glass in cause fish tanks are made of glass lol

nice job, have you sat on it to see how strong it is?

did you get the MDF cut to small too? since it doesnt go edge to edge

also its designed to be turned around, so the front is the 60cm so you cant see joins :P oh wait nvm i see what you have done :P, still i think if you turn it, you will see less screws and the top will look better

5 minutes ago, perplex said:

nice job, have you sat on it to see how strong it is?

did you get the MDF cut to small too? since it doesnt go edge to edge

also its designed to be turned around, so the front is the 60cm so you cant see joins :P oh wait nvm i see what you have done :P, still i think if you turn it, you will see less screws and the top will look better

I will wrap it maybe eventually. no i havent sat on it but was literally just discussing that with my wife lol. 

I just sat on it and it didnt budge lol. 

Its the ugling duckling in the stand world but i dont mind the flaws. Aslong as it holds my tank and lets me keep on shrimping im happy 

I just sat on it and it didnt budge lol. 

Its the ugling duckling in the stand world but i dont mind the flaws. Aslong as it holds my tank and lets me keep on shrimping im happy 

Sunday night i will start setting the tank up and transferring the stuff out of the kmart tank. 

I am about 99.99% sure the sponge filter should have an established bacteria colony having been running for 2 weeks with the betta 

oh and the MDF was just 2 off cuts cost me 70 cents lol. better then nothing i figured

Great stand man. Better get that tank cycled man.

Setup the tank last night running 2 dual sponges now 1 will go back in the kmart tank for my daughters tank.

Gotta buy a gravel vacc this morning to get the silt out from the soil and i will test the perimeters tonight as the main dual sponge has been running 2 weeks now. 

Only got tap water in the tank atm but once the filter cycles will switch over to ro water. Just gotta buy some salty shrimp lol

• Like 1

Great write up read it from start to finish, that Kmart tank turned out quite well in design can't wait to see more pics of the cube set up. 

5 hours ago, Mitch91 said:

Great write up read it from start to finish, that Kmart tank turned out quite well in design can't wait to see more pics of the cube set up. 

The Kmart tank has been pulled down shrimp wise lol. This is the Kmart Tank now,

20160530_195117.jpg

And this is the cube as of tonight!

I am fairly confident i am getting close to being shrimp ready.

Ammonia is 0-0.25

Nitrite 0 

Nitrate 0

Ph 6.4-6.6

My tap water suprisingly has a TDS of 128

KH - 4

and GH 7-8

I will swap it over to RO water once the cycling process is finished and at that time will rescape it so look out!

20160530_194738.jpg

20160530_194749.jpg

• Like 4

maybe you can use something like these to cover the screw heads, bunnings stock them.

bccf915a-cb12-4f64-b667-5981bdae5c8d.jpg

personally i like the stick on ones, they sit more flush and stay on better, not sure if bunnings stock them though

Cheers will have a look when i get some more funding lol.

Going to be selling my 4ftr well putting it up for sale in next couple of days to get funds!

From start to finish i got to pass on thanks to @perplex @jayc and @Disciple to bring the setup to what it is.

Without the plans for the stand perplex provided the tank would still be empty on the tiled floor, then Jayc saving me dramas of avoiding polystyrene foam. Although small contribution the suggestions of the foam from bunnings saved me a headache lol.

Then there is master @Disciple allowing me to obtain a pair of shrimp for this new home.

I suppose there is the rest of you aswell lol, the feedback and comments as i am sure everyone would agree definitely helps maintain motivation to proceed forwards and keep going.

Gonna dig out my rocks to scape it tonight a bit more and hopefully locate some bolbitus heudulotii. Plus i have been fighting with my eheim heater getting it calibrated atm.

• Like 2

You're welcome dude.

I'm glad I was of some help.

BTW, that dark foam mat is soooooo much nicer than the white poly foam on your stained stand. ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Disciple said:

Very nice @OzShrimp

Just scaped my tank a little bit. Dug through 5 removalist boxes last night to find my centre piece! 

What do you think? Do you reckon Lucky and hope will like it ? (Thats the name of the shrimp before i even got them) lol. Lucky will be the male (hopefully he gets lucky) and Hope will be the female (hopefully she breeds) lol

All i am missing is the bolbitus and its done!

20160601_150828.jpg

20160601_150837.jpg

@OzShrimp, hahaha. I like the names for the shrimps!

Can I ask you what do you think of the BioSpon filters?

Specifically are the sponges easy to detach (magnetically held I think) for cleaning? I am thinking of swapping out my current normal twin sponge ones (like the other one in your last photo) for them.

Currently I clean my sponge filters every few days (for my discus tanks) and the normal twin sponge filters are a pain to remove. However, for the price, they are really cheap though.

Is the BioSpon really worth 10x the price of a normal sponge filter? I have already spoken to the supplier in Korea and still considering if I should buy a whole carton in.

Maybe I could organise a group buy? Hmmm...

@Discipleto buy mine from overseas when he was over there. They are very easy to detach and not overly strong of a magnet i think but enough to hold them on. The only thing i dont like with them is the plain ceramic balls they use for filter media so i just swapped them out for seachem matrix and put that in instead. 

Do i think its worth the extra value, yes if you are running a sponge only filtration setup. I think having your chosen filter media in the bottom is a big added bonus especially if you have a batter operated pump running in times of a black out.

Hope that helps with your decision @jc12.

I have another 3 in a both lol. Got lucky and got the ones i brought from Disciple and won the 3rd in comp on here :)

The only reason i have the plain filter in the tank is for it to establish bacteria on it so that it can go into my daughters kmart tank along with the fighting fish. Didnt want to rip the established one out for him to suffer. Thats why his stillchillin in the tank lol, good ol Jack

The sponges on the biospon to you would be able to put back on with your eyes closed their that simple. And the amount of crap they clean from the water i was surprised. When i pulled my tank down it took me a good 10 minutes to clean them out prior to packing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzShrimp said:

What do you think? Do you reckon Lucky and hope will like it ? (Thats the name of the shrimp before i even got them) lol. Lucky will be the male (hopefully he gets lucky) and Hope will be the female (hopefully she breeds) lol

I really dont like naming shrimp lol.

Everytime I have done it the shrimp end up dying a short time later. So now I have a superstition about giving shrimp names. haha

1 minute ago, Disciple said:

I really dont like naming shrimp lol.

Everytime I have done it the shrimp end up dying a short time later. So now I have a superstition about giving shrimp names. haha

Well can you start getting them familiar with their names for me lol :P

I have only ever named 1 other shrimp and thats Elvis in my signature. Quiet frankly i had too many to give names to previously so didnt want to discriminate but he stood out.

Given i will have a pair i have time for names lol

6 minutes ago, OzShrimp said:

Well can you start getting them familiar with their names for me lol :P

They shall remain nameless in my tank.

You can call them whatever you like when they are in your tank. If they disappear a week later I will say I told you so! haha

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Disciple said:

They shall remain nameless in my tank.

You can call them whatever you like when they are in your tank. If they disappear a week later I will say I told you so! haha

Is your area covered by platinum post by any chance? 

3 minutes ago, OzShrimp said:

Is your area covered by platinum post by any chance? 

nope

7 minutes ago, Disciple said:

nope

Bugger I was hoping to pay for platinum post :(