Sponge filter bubbles

neo-2FX

Does anyone else get issues with fine bubbles coming from sponge filters?

I've got two biospon's running off an AquaEl OxyPro 150 and one tank (which mind you is about 30 cm lowers than the other) lets off bigger bubbles which don't explode as much as is good. The other is really annoying because it lets off tinier bubbles which explode everywhere and the bubbles reach the front glass which then explode and wet out the front of the tank.

I thought it had to do with the differing heights to begin with but I'm not convinced that's the cause. I'm thinking it's because of the splitter used and most air pressure reaches the first tank and the other tank gets the leftovers. Maybe the length of the hoses to each tank? The positioning of the output doesn't help either. Whether it's above water or below it's still the same.

It may seem simple when someone sees this so I'm looking for anything I can try to reduce the damn bubbles haha. Let me know how you guys set up your tanks from one air pump to reduce this issue. Maybe there isn't a solution but I thought I'd see how everyone else goes with theirs.

Here is a video of each tank so you get an idea.

Tank 1 (the good bubbles)

https://vid.me/Gdp7

Tank 2 (the crap bubbles haha)

https://vid.me/lwUj

Attached is a picture of the height difference.

IMG_20160502_210047.jpg

So is it the lower tank which has the stronger bubbles if so thats because of the height like you said having to travel a lesser distance irs coming out stronger. Perhaps a cheap adjustable valve would assist in ur issue allowing u to reduce the air flow

In the mean time u can tie a loose knot in thenline going to that sponge or slightly crease the line and apply an elastic band to the appropriate tightness

• Like 1

Correct. The lower tank has the stronger bubbles so they come out bigger and don't pop as much. I use one of those splitters (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stainless-Steel-Aquarium-Fish-Air-Flow-Distributor-Splitter-Lever-Control-Valve-/121721675406?var=&hash=item1c572d5e8e:m:m2sBirW4jp6kN_5XKN1jO5Q) already and even when i reduce the flow it still makes small bubbles. Even if I shut off the flow to the good tank the other tank still has these tiny bubbles. I will try reducing the tubing length to the crap tank to see how it goes.

How do you set yours up normally? do you have the pump in roughly the middle of all the tanks? There's always going to be a tank farther away than others. Have you run into similar issues? Is it the splitter?

When my tank was running i had 3 dual sponges running off the one pump differing lengths of tubing but didnt have your issue. Have to tried giving the sponges a squeeze undrr the water incase its blocked could be resulting in the smaller bubbles. 

Just about tonlook at that link

I just looked and i think your splitter could be the main issue. From briefly looking at the photo would inbe correct in saying the air is entering on one end then travelling along and out each one? If this is the case u will find the first splitter gets more air.

The splitter input on mine was directly in the centre like a T piece which provided a more even output flow

• Like 2

You sir @OzShrimp are a damn genius!

I should have mentioned that the tank was cycling so the sponges had lots of air in them being new!

That's done the trick!!!

Legend mate :D

Haha glad i could help :)

U will find the sponges u hook up further along ur splitter will produce less though cause the design is not that great.

• Like 1

Look for the ones where the the input part into the splitter is in the middle and not the end. Mines plastic and has no valves

• Like 1

Well my one is only a 4 piece connection so not really.

You could easily overcome it though in my corcumstance i would put a valve in the outter ones air line and have it partially closed to equal the levels of air going through

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OzShrimp said:

giving the sponges a squeeze

Great detective work Oz.

Unfortunately the success was short-lived. It's now back to its old antics. I've tried everything. Lifting the air pump higher. Putting the second tank on the closet output. Shortening it's tubing length. The only two differences I can see now is 1. The second tank is cycling 2. The tubing to the biospon on the second tank is a much softer one compared to what I'm running to the good tank.

Would these two things make a difference?

the only difference with the 2filters i can see is the output tube. The big bubble output tube are the straight up dwn. And the sml bubble output tube has a 90* like hose ; maybe thats the prob.

firstly swap the 2airfitting hose &see if reasult caused followed after u changed  or the filter it self is the prob. Eliminate what is/is not the caused.

Suggestion- sorry if its stupid?

What do u think of this..

Placing some filter wool(black colour so not noticeable)above the tube to help stop/eliminate the water bubble from spitting. That might help with any noise caused from the bubble poping.

Will be an eye sore, if ur a perfectionist. Or try shoving a thin little peice of filter wool in the tube to help slow the water, creating a light barrier might help stop water bubble fr spitting..

let me knw if any of thoes ideas worked for u..

cheers

• Like 1

Both are biospon. I'm going to get some new tubing that's exactly the same all the way from the pump to each filter. Hoping that fixes the issue.

OK I've used some of the same line I had on the second tank and no change. So currently they both have the same type of line from the sponge to the splitter. Both have the same media. Could the media be blocking the flow on the second tank?

Have you tried moving the "crap bubble" outlet further under water? 

At the moment it looks like it is too far above the water line.

• Like 1

iwas going to saY check the media aswell in the bottom it may be affecting the flow

• Like 1

Yep tried moving it under water too. Would temperature affect the pressure? That's the only other difference I can think of. I'll try moving the media tomorrow, it may be blocking the flow or something.

How did u go moving the media? Temp wont affect flow unless its freezing the water

I'm avoiding touching it anymore because of the fact it's cycling. I did remove the sponges and media off the magnets and it made no difference. Like the water was going straight through the tubes.

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like it was due to the fact that the tank was cycling. The output looks OK now that it's cycled. It's not bursting like crazy like before and spitting water everywhere. ?

Cheers @OzShrimp for your help!

Edited by neo-2FX
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, neo-2FX said:

Looks like it was due to the fact that the tank was cycling.

After all that, it was due to the tank being in the middle of cycling??

I never knew that could be a cause for bubbles to react differently. We learn something new everyday.