Tigers , tibees and taitibees

ineke

• HOF Member

a few of my Tiger and Tiger hybridsimage.jpg7image.jpgimage.jpg

Edited by ineke
  • Like 2

:eyes_on_fire:

• HOF Member

They look a bit different in my tanks Disciple ?

• Like 1

They look BETTER ?

• HOF Member

Not better just different. The low PH seems to bring out the colours

• Like 1

what pH for your tiger Ineke? what are your WP? I like your red tibee though. What generation are they now?

• HOF Member

My tanks all sit between 5.5 and 6 taken with a newly calibrated PH pen each time. The Tigers are kept slightly different TDS to my other tanks- they are around 180-190 , my other tanks 140-150. Gh 6 , Kh 1. I use RO water and Salty Shrimp minerals plus I add Mineral powder or Boss booster fortnightly. It remains to be seen how the Tigers breed in these conditions though as my dark blue female carried her eggs full term but I can't see her babies even after 2 weeks now.

My Tibees are about 10-12 th generation some may be a bit more. I have had Tibees since the beginning of 2013 so they are getting up there. I have only recently been seriously selective breeding them. Before I just put the ones I liked together and left them to it. Now I am picking out the actual males I want to use and later in the year I will be doing a huge cull and then picking individual pairs to put  together. It's very hard to get them to breed true with large numbers of culls from each drop. It is a work in progress and will take some time yet before I can say I'm happy -if that even happens.

There don't seem to be many breeders who have successfully bred a type consistently in Australia -if there are then they aren't showing us the results. I would love to see some from other breeders who have bred theirs from scratch and who are getting consistent patterns.

I have a line of fancy Tibees that is breeding true - I will take some pictures of those  and post - I have seen that particular pattern from other people -they look a bit  like spotted head pintos with black face , black tail and a  black skirt with white body except some of mine have quite a light blue face instead of black. I will be putting a few to a blue Tiger and also a Bluebolt to see if I can enhance the blue. I haven't worked with them they just keep turning up with that pattern so I have caught them all and put them into their own tank. I will see how they go but will need to work on their colour as the white is not very good.

-My tanks have a poor Ca-Mg ratio at the moment which may account for the poor white. That also is a work in progress as the readings are so bad they can't be fixed by just adding Mg. 

Edited by ineke

When I have tigers, I tried to raise pH up to 7-7.2 as WP suggested somewhere I have read. However despite my effort of raising kH and using crushed coral (to raise pH naturally), my substrate did a really good job (Shirakura) - it keep bring down pH down to 6.7-6.8 steadily. I am totally surprise you manage to breed tiger in such a low pH.

I have one CRS recently berried by one of blonde tigers. Hopefully I can get some good results down the track as yours Ineke.

• HOF Member

Thanks Albash - as I said I don't know how the pure Tigers will go but Jamie - Newbreed - is having success at the lower ph. My substrate does too good a job at buffering my ph too despite now only having a couple of centimetres of substrate. I have added some Bakki balls - just a filtration ball- into the tank as I had an experience with them in a HOB. They  raised the PH  to 7.5 in 3 days but it was in my TB tank which I didn't want. I will be testing the ph tomorrow to see if it has had any effect on the ph. I won't use ph up or any other chemicals as I want a stable ph not a rise and fall environment .

here are a few pictures of the only Taitibees that seem to breed true. I haven't worked on them these just seem to turn up in most batches of babies . I couldn't get the blue faced girl to show her face. the variety needs work but could be quite nice .

Edited by ineke
  • Like 1

Nice shrimp that ineke. I should stop looking at all these nice pics otherwise will end up with another tank

• Like 1

On 02/05/2016 at 7:53 PM, ineke said:

Not better just different. The low PH seems to bring out the colours

You are really doing well with these tibees, taitibees and tigers. You will be world famous soon.

• Like 1

• HOF Member

LOL thanks Disciple don't think that will ever be the case but I'm sure most people are getting fed up with me on Facebook every time they show an exciting find I pipe up oh I have those in my tank! I've stopped saying it so often now but I do get quite a few interesting specimens showing up. Trouble is keeping the numbers down I just can't keep everything " interesting" . My biggest boo boo was giving away my yellow King Kong before I knew they were yellow king kong LOL . I have given away so many interesting finds I just hope the receivers have done something with them.

• Like 1