Barbatanas

Discolored Cherries + Red Blue Rili

Barbatanas

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum and gave a little bit of my background in another thread and explained a few issues that I'm having.  http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/topic/11300-you-got-me-hooked/

Basically, I started a new colony to get from red cherry shrimps to Fire Red as a way to understand more about how to selectively breed shrimps. The problem is that all my new shrimps are getting a more orangy color than red even though the initial 4/5 shrimps were vivid red.

Today, I decided to separate all those orange-looking shrimps and only keep the ones closest to sakura grade. I then added a few more from my community tank (about 3) just to have a bigger colony, since by the end of the culling process I only had 3 better looking shrimps.

In my opinion, the lack of color is not related to stress or water parameters since if that was the case, the older shrimps would have dull colors as well. So, I'm thinking it's either genetic or diet related (even though I'm using a food rich in minerals, from Exobyo).

What do you guys think?

P.s.: While searching for shrimps in my community tank, I found this little guy/girl. What is it?? (sorry about the quality, If needed, maybe later I can try to take a better photo)IMG_20160429_184252.jpg

Thank you for your time :D

Edited by Barbatanas

KeenShrimp

Holy smokes @Barbatanas! That there is the best looking blue-bodied Red Rili I have ever seen! Usually the blue body is blue-velvet blue, but you appear to have a bright, dark blue? This would be amazing if you can breed more of them. Is it possible to try and take a higher resolution image?- we would love to admire your shrimp close-up ? Apologies, the breeding experts will have to weigh in on your breeding issues you are having.

Barbatanas
37 minutes ago, KeenShrimp said:

Holy smokes @Barbatanas! That there is the best looking blue-bodied Red Rili I have ever seen! Usually the blue body is blue-velvet blue, but you appear to have a bright, dark blue? This would be amazing if you can breed more of them. Is it possible to try and take a higher resolution image?- we would love to admire your shrimp close-up 1f600.png Apologies, the breeding experts will have to weigh in on your breeding issues you are having.

Oh god, stop making me feel so lucky about this little one! xD I don't see anymore of these, but I'll be on the hunt for them :) In the mean time, I'll try to get a better resolution photo.

waffle

Congrats on the nice red-blue rili!!!

Re the smaller shrimp being orangy and not as great coloured, often they don't show their full colour until adulthood. I often notice a big jump in the richness of colour in my cherry juvies as they go through their first few adult moults. So some of the orangey ones may turn out redder in the end.

If you get shrimp that stay orangy as adults, they might be cool to keep as a separate line! Orange can look gorgeous too! 

• Like 1

NoGi

Cool, many have tried breeding the Spider-Man style cherry, hope you find a few more for some selective breeding.

• Like 1

Barbatanas
12 hours ago, NoGi said:

Cool, many have tried breeding the Spider-Man style cherry, hope you find a few more for some selective breeding.

Spider-Man cherry?? Is that a real name or just a joke? xD I can't seem to find more though :/

NoGi

Just my joke name for them as they are red and blue same colours as spidy 

:smileys-fish-465204:

Barbatanas

I have some news! :D Found another red blue rili!

I tried to take more pictures, but I guess I'm not cut for photographer... Nonetheless, here you have it!13091757_1295690070458340_1254326658_o.jpg

The on on the left was the first I found. Any ideas on the genders?

13106489_1295690073791673_869534626_o.jpg13128630_1295690053791675_278049455_o.jpg13128780_1295690057125008_1335007008_o.jpg

Edited by Barbatanas

OzShrimp

The thing to consider to because the genes are moxed it could take take several generations before you begin to consistently start to see the colours ur after on a regular basis.

Dont be discouraged though cause u will definitely learn alot

Barbatanas
2 minutes ago, OzShrimp said:

The thing to consider to because the genes are moxed it could take take several generations before you begin to consistently start to see the colours ur after on a regular basis.

Dont be discouraged though cause u will definitely learn alot

I won't! :) Learning is my main goal in this whole process :)

OzShrimp

Just cull heavily the ones which dont have the traits you want. When i had cherrys i had red rili blue genes then decided to add some blues. I only wanted breed blues so would isolate them from my rilis and sold off the rilis eventually. In the end my blue rate increased but i also got a couple of greens which was interesting.

• Like 1

Chiquarius

Those are amazing blue-bodies red rilis!

I discovered some red rilis spontaneously emerging from a substrate I ordered (lucky me). When I read you could mix with blue velvet to produce the blue red variated offspring, I had to try and so ordered some blue velvets. Now I have 10 blue velvets and 5 red rilis. I plan to isolate the desired offspring and cull the undesired ones.

I am not expert enough to tell males from females. If I want to improve my success, should I mix and match my reds and blues in some ideal M:F ratio? 

Amazing Barbantas! If you can get those shrimp consistently, they will be highly sought after.

• Like 1