Guava leaves

Santa

I stumbled across a little comment on guava leaves being a strong anitbacterial for shrimp in the health section and was wondering if anyone here has tried to use fresh guava leaves before?

Santa, can you please give me the link in regards of that guava leaves? I just happen to buy an "apple guave" from a local nursery and would be interested if guava leaves can be fed to shrimp.

I've tried garlic - nah they hate it. Yes the whole clove with skin peeled.  

It was a comment in this thread, says they have anti bacterial and anti fungal properties. I have seen some scientific backing for it too but I was just wondering if anyone has tried them and if anyone has tips on how to prep them.

@Santa all you need to do is boil them for a couple of minutes, let it cool and drop straight into the tank.

If anyone is interested, there have been lots of papers and research on the antibacterial properties of guava leaves.

Just google "guava leaves antibacterial" and you have a huge choice of reading material.

• Like 1

I use them, supposed to have anti bacterial properties like most leaves, break down much slower than almond leaves. I was told to put the dry leaves in a food blender as the powder form is better at preventing bacterial infections.

Interesting information and good use of natural products. I love at just how diversed we've become with leaf feeding over the past few years.

I am thinking about processing my own food with guava leaves! Due to the fact that my family makes tofu from soyabeans I was told that the left over husks from the grinding process is basically what shrimp snow is?!?! I have some knowledge about food tech and guess I shall finally be able to put it to good use! I'm thinking a small soy based pellet with the added benefits of guava and mulberry leaves and a few other bits and pieces.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Santa said:

I'm thinking a small soy based pellet with the added benefits of guava and mulberry leaves and a few other bits and pieces

That sounds interesting. I hope you actually do this.

I recommend adding chlorella as one of the ingredients. Those ingredients will make it a very well rounded food type.

2 hours ago, jayc said:

That sounds interesting. I hope you actually do this.

I recommend adding chlorella as one of the ingredients. Those ingredients will make it a very well rounded food type.

Ah was thinking of mixing in some spirulina powder I had lying around and some axataxthn also that I have been trying to figure out how to incorporate into their feed. First stop is preparing the soy and leaves for use!

I wonder if anyone here has tried something similar?

49 minutes ago, Santa said:

I wonder if anyone here has tried something similar?

Not with soy husks, but ....

I went down a different route to pelleted food. I used agar to bind the ingredients. And you could use virtually any ingredient you have handy including soy husks.

• Like 1

How often do you use the home made feed if I may ask?

26 minutes ago, jayc said:

Not with soy husks, but ....

I went down a different route to pelleted food. I used agar to bind the ingredients. And you could use virtually any ingredient you have handy including soy husks.

Does it matter if the leaves are green, or should they be dried out first?

1 hour ago, Santa said:

How often do you use the home made feed if I may ask?

I make them in batches. And because I don't use preservatives, I have to use it up as fast as possible.

So everytime I make a batch, that is all the shrimp will be eating for a a few weeks. 

Then I'll go back to processed foods and leaves and veg, until I gather enough enthusiasm to make another batch.

2 minutes ago, jayc said:

I make them in batches. And because I don't use preservatives, I have to use it up as fast as possible.

So everytime I make a batch, that is all the shrimp will be eating for a a few weeks. 

Then I'll go back to processed foods and leaves and veg, until I gather enough enthusiasm to make another batch.

Would storing them in the freezer not help? I was planning on making a batch and setting them in an icecube tray and kept in the freezer?

Not too sure how the agaragar would react though.

I tried freezing some, but agaragar doesn't freeze well. 

• 3 weeks later...

My first batch of feed seems to be goin down quite well!

Put this together with the main ingredient as soybean husk but it was a lot more involved than using agaragar which I bough just incase this failed, just ignore the unsightly state of my tank lol

Alot of research, alot of drawing on my degree and alot of hard work but it's a start and I am quite pleased!

image.jpeg

Santa when u say u use soybean husk, u meant the remaining body after ur family had extracted the soy drink from correct?

Bc what i remembered when i use to make Home-made soybean drink (years ago) the remaining soy bean is.. All Minced, blended into a semi-dried, dampy-powdery-soy husk behind.

Which u would then add, what ever u want and sun/air/oven/grilled dry (with caution) or freezed..

Is that what u use, santa? The Soybeans remain after, ur family tofu is made.

Or u would grind ur own fresh soak soybean for ur mix..

I LOVE to try THIS at home some day soon. I just need to find that DIY Homemade SoyBean drink machine, hopefully Mum kept somewhere &not thrown after we moved.

i remembered there was heaps of bits n peices need washing after the making of SoyBean drink.

So i FULLY UNDERSTAND What jayC meant "Gather enough Enthusiastic" when using SoyBean or other products.

i will post my pics experiment, food tested n trialed, after it is done, for all whoms interested on DIY Shrimp food.

Yep the left over soybean meal is what I was reffering to when I said husk. Basically we soak fresh soybean and grind it up to extract the soymilk and strain the particles out of it and thats what I am using.

All seems to be going well with the food, been adding a little in every second day and they seem to jump on it every time. No odd deaths or anything out of the ordinary which is a good sign. Surprisingly got a lot of food from only a small batch which is awesome, plenty left over for me to experiment with.

• 3 years later...

2020 bump to ask if it is ok to use boiled fresh guava leaves?  Or should I let it dry out on purpose, then boil?  (But I think if I let it dry out it will turn brown, whereas the pre-dried ones I see for sale are usually green?)

• Like 1