Sponge filter only tanks feedback sought

OzShrimp

Lately with not being able to maintain a tank i have been giving alot of consideration to running a sponge only filtration setup. This is a big deal for me cause I believe I am sort of OCD in terms of having over filtration in order to have the highest possible chance of preventing deaths in terms of lack of filtering etc.

I would like some honest feedback from those of you who do run sponge only setups especially if your keeping high grade shrimp in terms of how you find the maintenance, how many you would use, have you experienced problems in using only this filtration etc etc etc.

I have ideally been planning on having a sumped setup but if it saves money i have to consider it. 

Edited by OzShrimp

• HOF Member

I have 11 tanks that are sponge filters only. Each tank holds approximately 70 litres. I use benibachi soils, RO and GH + . Each tank has 1 large sponge - think they are xy - 380 - the number is right not sure about the prefix, and 1 large double sponge which I change 6 monthly or so but only change 1 sponge at a time so full sponge change yearly. I have the air running through quite strong - the moss sways in all areas of the tank- . I have had this setup for over 3 years and breed pure TB, Pinto, CRS, Taitibees and recently Tigers. I do weekly 10-15 % water changes with RO and SS, add minerals regularly . I have encountered no problems using sponge filters , I have great shrimp let survival rates so I'm happy to recommend their use. I have also had a bigger tank with 100 litres running on 4 filters. My largest tank - 215 litres - has 4 sponges plus a canister - well 2 canisters now but it was only 1. I haven't ever used a sump system so can't compare them for you

What sre your plant levels like in your tank, cause understandably can play a major role to?

When u say u replace 1 sponge do u put a complete new one in or simply just clean in tank water ?

• HOF Member

My tanks have a lot of moss with a few Java ferns or bolbitis. I clean the sponges every couple of water changes in the old tank water. I fully replace the sponge buying a new one . Previously I used the sponges for 2 years before replacing but recently I read its best to change them 6 monthly. As I have 2 per tank I change 1 halfway through the year and the other one at the end of the year, so each sponge is used for 12 months .

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Average plant level in each tank

• Like 1

Most of the breeders in Europe are using sponge filters to filter the tanks in the racks. I personnally never change the sponges in mines and clean them 1 or 2 times a year. The turbo filters are becoming more and more popular because of they efficiency and their quietness. I use a double sponge filters in 16 tanks, single in 2 and Ugf in 1. Still have a few tanks to set up and will be using Ugf in a split level way for the tanks 40 litres and over and doubler sponge filters for smaller ones.

Here is a picture of a 30 litres tank with a double sponge filter where i added 10 berried females crs/Prl, the survival rate was 20+ shrimplets/female, had to remove the adults and set up 2 bigger tank to grow the juveniles before selling them to shops.P1050821.jpg

• Like 2

They are filters with a compression chamber in the airlift.

Here is a link of the ones i have http://www.skaii-and-shrimps.com/index.php/en/category/product/1148-turbo-exhausteur-mousse-l-10-x-10-x-18cm

Cant comment on the survival rate of the juveniles as the 2 i have are in grow out tanks.

You can easily make it yourself and people use this type of airlift with some hmf refined version http://www.garnelen-tom.de/zwerggarnelen-shop/HMF-Luftheber

• Like 1

I think I have been over doing it with cannister filters. I really want to try a rack with sponge filters next time.

12 hours ago, Disciple said:

I think I have been over doing it with cannister filters. I really want to try a rack with sponge filters next time.

Thats probably gonna me my plan to Bas to cut down on running costs ultimately.

15 hours ago, anthonyd said:

They are filters with a compression chamber in the airlift.

Here is a link of the ones i have http://www.skaii-and-shrimps.com/index.php/en/category/product/1148-turbo-exhausteur-mousse-l-10-x-10-x-18cm

Cant comment on the survival rate of the juveniles as the 2 i have are in grow out tanks.

You can easily make it yourself and people use this type of airlift with some hmf refined version http://www.garnelen-tom.de/zwerggarnelen-shop/HMF-Luftheber

Can you please translate the description of that first link lol,

I have never seen a filter like that before but am highly intrigued :)

16 tanks with native shrimp using the same double sponges that @anthonyd is using - I buy them on ebay for $3-$3.50 each making sure to get the right ones (bigger version with the clear air inlet tube).   I often clean both sponges at the same time (in the tank water in a bucket) and never have an issue with filtration capacity.  Tanks are 20-60l and I only clean the front glass so plenty of biofilm. For me the main role of the sponge filters is particulate removal and water movement.  I clean them mostly when they clog and the air riser starts making blub blub noises - approx 4-5 times a year.  Oldest is 3 years old and the sponges are still good.

55 minutes ago, Grubs said:

16 tanks with native shrimp using the same double sponges that @anthonyd is using - I buy them on ebay for $3-$3.50 each making sure to get the right ones (bigger version with the clear air inlet tube).   I often clean both sponges at the same time (in the tank water in a bucket) and never have an issue with filtration capacity.  Tanks are 20-60l and I only clean the front glass so plenty of biofilm. For me the main role of the sponge filters is particulate removal and water movement.  I clean them mostly when they clog and the air riser starts making blub blub noises - approx 4-5 times a year.  Oldest is 3 years old and the sponges are still good.

Got a link for who you are buying from ?

Quick translation 

these filters are more efficient than classic sponger filters, there is a compression chamber and the air is injected in the pipe through really fine holes, this has many advantages :

-The bubbles of air going up are really fine so the water flow is more powerfull and the bubbles dont explode at the surface

-Higher flow with less air

• Like 1

Thanks @anthonyd

Sigh @Grubs now that extra 50 cent breaks the bank haha. Cheers will check it out

Just had a look at them i used to have those.

I got a couple of the ones @Disciplegets overseas which have the media under the sponge. Geese their good at stopping sediment took me ages to clean when i pulled tank down. 

U guys should check them out to. Just cant post photo cause on my phone