Seachem Digital Spoon Scale

KeenShrimp

I bought this immediately when I came across it as it looked like a genuinely cool and functional item:

It is a measuring spoon scale that can measure up to 30 grams in 0.1 gram increments.

Highlights:

- it is lightweight

- you can use it as a scoop direclty

What failed to impress me:

- the scale only shows one decimal: so you can not measure 0.150 grams, just 0.1 or 0.2 grams. This is not acceptable for chemicals/powders that need to be measured for quantities of water used during normal water changes for large or small tanks.

- A scale is meant to sit on a solid surface for measuring accuracy. Because this is a spoon being held, the weight of the powder fluctuates wildly if the spoon moves up or down and then you have to hold it absolutely still until the scale has stabilised.

- the batteries leaked all over the packaging and scale when I opened it after purchase ( I would like to clarify that it might have been unsold for a while, so it might be a battery problem, not a total product problem).

- when switching off the spoon scale, you have to hold the button in for a very long time compared to TDS pens or pH pens etc. it gets annoying when doing serious amounts of changes in a day.

So, a fancy, expensive spoon that can estimate the weight of powders for baking or other kitchen use or rough estimations in measuring. For the level of accuracy I expect for this kind of hobby, a definite thumbs down. A small pocket jewellery scale is half the price and measures up to three decimal points. Save your money.

This Seachem Digital Spoon scale gets ?/5 Shrimp tails. The one was awarded for the cool idea of having a spoon scale.

image.jpg

• Like 2

I hadn't seen one of these before. I guess it can only get better. Have you tried to send them some product feedback?