Cooling nano tank

Santa

Does anyone have any recommendations on cooling a 40litre tank? I understand most people use fans but they don't seem all that practical?

• HOF Member

Fans work very well when setup properly with a temperature controller, there are a variety of types available. I ran my large tank with 4 computer fans and a controller for 3 years before buying a chiller. Unfortunately smaller tanks are less stable so have big swings of temperature.  Nano tank chillers are now available too and quite reasonable in price.

• Like 2

Would you be able to reconmend any nano tank chillers? i have seem to only come across the resun cl85 and older models of the like

• HOF Member

Our sponsors don't have any unfortunately. I just look on line at various stores when I want something. I don't know of a particular chiller but know that when I was researching for my big chiller I saw quite a few nano chillers. They are still  $200-$300 but you need something if you want to keep your shrimp over summer. I still like the fans I found my tank much more stable with my 4 fans than with my chiller. The chiller goes 2 degrees higher than the set temp before it comes on so I have a 2 degree swing continuously yet when I had the fans I could get it down to a 0 .5. Degree. Possibly other chillers can be adjusted more finely .

• Like 1

Hi Santa,

I have the larger chiller models: the Johnlen thermoelectric chillers are very economical on my power bill and they are very quiet for a chiller. There is a small one for any tank under 40 litre. I highly recommend these as they do not hike up your electricity bills. You are welcome to pm me if you want to know where to get one. I do not want to be disrespectful to the forum sponsors by advertising for someone else.

• Like 3

@ineke, what is the humidity like where you are? Brissy gets really really humid in summer and I wonder if that'd cause the fans to struggle (less evaporation)?

• HOF Member

Our humidity over the last few years is quite high , plus we have an evaporative air conditioner for the house which adds to the humidity but it isn't as bad as Qld! 

Having said I was happy with my fans now I have a chiller for the big tank I wouldn't go back to the fans, but the corner where this tank is gets very hot in summer and the fans worked extremely well. I did notice a lot of evaporation but I was happy to top up the tank as needed. I was surprised how well the fans worked I must say. I also think for a small tank if they are setup properly with a temperature controller they would be extremely efficient and certainly better than using ice packs and blocks trying to keep the tank cool. The swings of high and low would be quite big especially if you aren't home during the day. 

But if you can afford a chiller and can find one suitable to your needs they are set and forget so the best option . 

I am lucky that my breeding tanks are all in an air conditioned room - they have their own reverse cycle air conditioner for summer and the shrimp room is the coolest room in the house. What a great excuse to spend time with my shrimp!

Thanks for all the replies!

I have looked up plenty of chillers but most seem to use the peltier effect for lower water volumes? I realise that a proper chiller which uses a refrigerant is probably impractical for such a small tank but I was hoping that there would be an equivalent way of cooling with such precision.

Seems like my best bet is to keep the aircon on during the summer?

• Like 1