What is your Ca:Mg ratio for OEBT?

KeenShrimp

For the guys that keep orange eyes: what is your Ca:Mg ratio?

Is it the 4:1 Ca:Mg ratio that @BlueBolts recommended in his blue bolt ideal water parameter post? Also, is there a consensus on the ideal pH to keep these little guys in?

I have been having a few interesting colour-changing experiences with some of my shrimp. It might be good or bad depending on your outlook and I was hoping to gather a bit of data to ensure that something is not really off in my tank, even though the shrimp look happy.

For those knowing their Calcium levels, please mention which test kit you use- I have been getting inconsistent testing levels from a few kits as most are designed for marine tank levels and I have found the Salifert test kit to be the most sensitive for testing freshwater shrimp parameters.

I am flying in the dark here as literature is inconsistent and would appreciate some input from people out there to find out what your experiences are.

1 hour ago, KeenShrimp said:

For the guys that keep orange eyes: what is your Ca:Mg ratio?

Irrespective of the type of shrimp,  or even fish,  the ratio of Ca:Mg in freshwater is always 4:1. This is the target. 

Thanks JayC,

I have heavily moss planted tanks and find that they use very large amounts of Mg, so I do extremely slow up-titration so weekly to get the ratio normalised again. Glad the Ca:Mg 4:1 ratio is universal.

• Like 1