3D- printed Moss and plant ledges

KeenShrimp

I took some inspiration from @Disciple 's tank and bought some moss ledges. I do not put any stainless steel in my tanks at all as I am concerned about chromium, nickel and manganese ions seeping out of it in a vat of freefloating ions that we call tanks...I found metal-free 3D-printed plant ledges at www.aquakitz.com.au for $4 each ( Elevate Shrimp brand). They come in a printed resin that does not smell of plastic at all and is stable in water. I am extremely impressed with the large, robust, super-grippy suction cups- I do not think I have ever come across better ones. Will highly recommend to anyone looking for moss ledges. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

is there more info on this chromium issue? I've got stainless steel strainers and dividers in all my tanks :(

Hi Foxpuppet,

If you would like to read up about corrosion of stainless steel ( factors such as biofilm, oxygen, water, temperature, pH and the effect it has on stainless steel), there are a multitude of articles on Google Scholar. You get various grades of stainless steel and the most stable commercially available is the Marine Grade stainless steel 316. The issue is that it is more expensive than regular types, and a lot of moss mesh people unknowingly use in their aquariums is of lower quality. There are also different types of stainless steel alloys with different metal combinations and the issue that the aquarist faces is that you do not really know what is being released into your aquarium at all. So instead of having to put Seachem purigen in all my filters that might take up some substances that my shrimp need, I just chose to abandon stainless steel altogether as there is no way of proving that it has an adverse effect on shrimp in your tank. Because shrimp are so sensitive to almost anything, I just made the decision not to have any in my tank. Because this is not really within the means of the average aquarist to test, one can play devils advocate and nothing might ever happen to your shrimp, but chemistry in each tank differs, and I cannot help but notice that the stainless mesh stays shiny all the time, so I suspect microscopic amounts of metal is released. It might be harmless, it might not be. Someone might have had it in their tanks for 20 years without ill effect. I just cannot take that risk with the amount of time, money and effort I put into my tanks. I think it is a very personal choice of what people might want or not want to put in their tanks ?

• Like 1

• HOF Member

I wasn't aware there was a problem with SS mesh and have all my moss in all my tanks tied to it. I must be lucky that I haven't had any adverse effects over the years that I have had this in my tanks. Trouble is now I know it can be a problem I'm going to be worrying about my tanks all the time now!

So thanks for the advice - I for one will now make a conscious effort to tie my moss to other items- sometimes ignorance is bliss until things go wrong and I don't think I'm willing to take any chances.

on the bright side I now have the perfect excuse to play with my tanks! Just have to find enough items to use now? 

• Like 1

Hi Ineke,

The same can be argued for plastics: all the cheap suction cups that turn white and lose flexibility over time? : those are the plasticisers leaching out into your water ( BPA, BPB, BPE, BPK etc). Almost everything is manufactured in China and when people do not want to pay for things and get it for cheap, corners have to be cut somewhere, so it's a catch-22. The best advice I found online ( forgot where) is to put whatever plastic you are putting into your tank in hot water first. Then smell it. If it smells heavily of plastic, the plastic is cheaply made and unstable and will definitely be leaching something into your tank...

• Like 1

• HOF Member

Thanks Keenshrimp. Over the 3-4 years I have been keeping shrimp I haven't had issues but I guess I may just have been very lucky. I used to have driftwood in all my tanks and slowly changed to mesh . I've been looking for an excuse to de clutter my tanks as they are full of moss which the shrimp love but it makes It hard to see them. If I take out the mesh which just sits on the substrate not held up with suction cups my tanks will have a much cleaner look. I might just go to cholla wood tied with moss . It's a bit hard to do a major remake of tanks when I have so many but I would hate to lose my shrimp with any type of leaching of unwanted chemicals into tanks. Some might think we'll I haven't had problems so why worry but as I said ignorance is bliss until things go wrong . now I know the possibility is there I will slowly change my materials . It' s great to learn of these things and make informed decisions on what we do with the information. Like everything we should check it out for ourselves so we understand what we are dealing with. Thanks for bringing this up, now for some heavy reading LOL!

• Like 1

Hey guys!  I thought I would chime in about my products to clarify a few things. First off my products are not made with resins, but with solid corn based PLA plastic.  The suction cups do turn a bit white in the water bit they are made with PVC (or phthalate free material) and they will return back to a clear color when removed from the water.  Everything is sourced here in the USA!   

Chaz

ElevateShrimp

• Like 1

Hi Chaz,

That is awesome, no wonder it had such a good result in the hot water test I did before putting it into the tank. I checked out your website- awesome products Chaz- I really like the feeding shelf and the AmaNO!- we have a native Darwin algae shrimp here that hogs all the food and your solution will be ideal. Hopefully someone brings more of your products into Australia soon.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The thing which would make me concerned is the SS filter intake covers everyone has. Surely due to the price they would be of a leaching quality.

I wonder if thise can be 3d printed to the point of having such small holes in them for water flow

• Like 2

I use the SS covers from dural irragation, have been for a few years and it doesn't seem to bother the natives or cherries.

• Like 1