About these strictly vegetarian Ottos hogging all the meat...

KeenShrimp

After @Disciple very kindly recommended a protein feed for my little guys every now and then, I went to the frozen fish food section and all the bloodworm products were from China ( sorry, I am still recovering from the melamine milk and dogfood scandal), I wanted to buy an Aussie product for my shrimp, so I settled for Cichlid food containing everything from shrimp, fish, octopus, garlic, spinach, spirulina and I didn't know what Wombaroo was, but it sounded delicious ( really didn't want to google in Petbarn, it's a marsupial milk replacer for those that are interested).

I have 7 ottos in my 240 litre tank and 5 Ottos in my 130 litre tank that are well- fed. When I put the smallest piece of the new meaty goodness in, the ottos went nuts and hogged it all. I had to mash a little but up for the shrimp that wanted some. The ottos sucked that Cichlid meat food until there was nothing but a few sinewy bits left...so my question is, how do we really know that they are 100% shrimp-safe?

image.jpg

• Like 3

I think it comes down to the physical makeup of the mouth of ottos. They have a sucker mouth suited to scraping surfaces, not for grabbing stuff floating past. 

Almost all "herbivores" will grab a bit of protein when they come across it. 

Very interesting. I have not noticed them eat any shrimp and I have mine in my tiger tank that seems to have the best rates of survival

It is an interesting observation just the same.  I wonder if the reason people struggle to breed Otos is they don't get enough protein.  You might be onto something @KeenShrimp