Green body Orange Rili

KeenShrimp

I have just noticed while feeding that one of my female Orange Rilis have a lime-green body. I have some with light blue bodies as well among the colony. Does this happen often, or is it something special? She is saddled at the moment. Do I breed her with a regular orange Rili or a blue body one to see if I can get more green ones? Anybody out there with green body orange rilis? 

• HOF Member

We had a lot of green shrimp turn up in both the yellow Neos and in my case my Blue Velvets - which come from Red Rilli -  blue gene,  back in 2013 I think it was . It is often found that when you change them to a different ph the colour changes . If you look back through the general forums or search green cherries you might still find the old threads. It was very hard to get the shrimp to breed true. I don't know where they stand now as a lot of us gave up after several generations. However it's always worth trying to breed and unusual shrimp that appear to see what happens. I don't know if I still have pictures but will check. I had a huge Rilli colony at the time and ended up giving all my greens to Dean who was the founder SKF .

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @shrimpybusiness,

I have been slack to set up a tripod for nice photos, so I will make a bit of an effort this weekend as my iPhone does not quite cut the mustard. Since this post I have also discovered a bright yellow-body male, so definitely worth me making a bit of an effort! I have an incredibly high cull rate with my rilis, between 80-90 percent, not sure if anyone else is having genetic instability issues on such a scale?

• HOF Member

To get really good rilis you must cull hard but don't cull too young. I waited until they were at least 3-4 months old unless they didn't have any clear section then they were culled quite young. In a tank of 50 juvies I might end up with 3-4 reasonable shrimp. It paid off in the long run as some of my Rilis were beautifully marked. Here are a few but only one I classed as good . Even the heavily berried girl was classed as a cull. The first one is one of my favourites, the others you can see spots on so again culls, the last picture - sorry about the quality shows some babies that are all red even from a fairly good colony.  These all red babies were culled by 7 weeks-  before the boys started chasing the girls. I loved my Rilisimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 1

Even as 'culls" I am quite taken by your Rilis, just a shame I think I lost all mine, but I think I have some more random rilis starting to show up again. One day I might get into rilis again, at least I know they handle the heat up hear unlike the crystals.

• Like 1

Would love to see some pics as well. I don't mind rillis. Was thinking of getting back to them at some stage too.

If I ever have the room and time I would dearly love to breed a black rilli, then hot areas are covered for a similar shrimp to the cool water loving crystals.