Life inside a canister

DemonCat

I returned from a 3 week holiday yesterday. As well as finding out the house sitter has feed the fish in three weeks what I do in about 3 months (I showed them how much and wrote it down!!) leading to a massive algae problem, I did a water change and cleaned my canister this morning.

I found no less than 50 shrimp in the canister! I have a little hand made pre-filter sponge but I know there are a few small holes in it. I might go and buy a proper one.

My question is, how long can they live in a canister? Surely it's so swirly with the constant water influx they could not last too long?

• HOF Member

Firstly next time you go away buy those cheap little medication dispensers from a cheap shop about $2 for one that does a month worth of melds, put the required amount of food into each compartment - they pull apart easily if you have more than 1 tank- put the food in the required day and then the feeder only needs to tip that days food into the aquarium. That is the only really safe way apart from an automatic feeder. People who don't keep fish and shrimp think the small amount we give just isn't enough especially with fish as they always seem hungry.

i don't know how long fish survive but I know shrimp can live for several months as I lost some tiny babies and found them in the canister 8 weeks later . They survived quie well and were only a bit smaller than their siblings

• Like 1

I've had Cory fry grow to almost adulthood in my canister.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• sdlTBfanUK
      It has been a few weeks now and I have done a couple of large water changes. I tested the water parameters this morning, GH6 and KH2, TDS 140 and PH 7.5. Obviously the PH is off but there isn't anything in the tank that should cause the PH to rise to this figure so I will just run the tank for another month with 10% weekly water changes (probably just with RO water) and see where we are at that point. The RO water tests at PH6, and the KH and GH in the tank could come down as they are at the upper limits for Caridina shrimps! There are only about 10 very small snails in there at this point, but they seem to be doing well enough.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I believe these to be very rare in Australia so you may even consider making it a longer term plan and produce your own by starting with the best CRS you can get as that is where the pure lines started! Depends how patient and interested in the project you are, but would save money as well? If I recall correctly it takes from 8 generations of selective breeding? They sell them at micro aquatic shop but do not ship to Western Australia, but that means they are available in Australia. https://microaquaticshop.com.au/products/pure-red-line-grade-ss-shrimp Good luck and just maybe smeone on here may point you in the right direction or be able to supply you with some.
    • Jimmy
      Hi Guys,  Does anyone know where to buy PRL shrimps in WA, not the CRS please. Thanks Regards  
    • Subtlefly
      Yes it’s super accurate to position where I want now and stay there- I am satisfied.  All the fish and shrimpers are doing excellent! Coming up on 4 years running!
    • sdlTBfanUK
      You must be pleased with that, it looks better and is much more robust and less likely to damage or leaks! The tank looks very natural now it has been running for a time. I see the ember tetras, how are the blue shrimp doing, I see a few? The cat and dog look very content and unimpressed, lol.