My Mistake(s)...

Chandy

Hello Fellow ShrimpKeepers! 

I started a planted tank approximately two weeks ago and the tank was cycled as of yesterday. I decided that I would have a crack at Red Cherry Shrimps as my clean-up crew. They're such delicate and peaceful creatures, I just knew I had to have some. 

I plan to keep some shrimp specific shrimp tanks later on, but for now I'll be growing this tank out. My tank currently has 4 glowlight tetras in there, which I made the mistake of buying because I couldn't tell the difference between them and glowlight (hengeli) rasboras... I looked for the word glowlight at my LFS and said yup, they're the ones. My second mistake was putting RCS in without knowing that glowlight would absolutely dominate my RCS

I put 3 males and 3 female RCS into the tank, one female was obliterated within a minute, another male injured and 4 others being bullied. 

I hope to trade away my glowlight tetras in due course, but am looking for a source for more RCS. They cost me a pretty dollar each which I thought was a bit steep considering they can be pests at times. I'm located in Sydney, Australia, so please let me know if you've got some RCS you're willing to let go. 

On another note, does anyone know how hengeli rasboras will treat RCS? Otherwise, I may have to give them up and go with something like Darwin Algae Shrimp or Ghost Shrimp.

Without further ado, I thought I'd share a photo of my tank:

1. The setup:

IMG_4990_zpshonb8hnn.jpg

2. Filling the tank up:

DSC00680_zpsmqt1sdej.jpg

3. The plants growing out: 

DSC00700_zpswdz3oubn.jpg

If you're interested, please check out my Tank Journal at the following link: 

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/1016801-chandy%92s-sanctuary-%96-komoda-%91skyclear%92-4ft.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The reason the RCS might have cost you more would be because they were of good quality.  There are definitely some cheaper lower grade RCS out there, but why get cheap, which tend to have less colour, when you can invest in a few good quality RCS of each sex that in the right conditions will breed nicely for you and produce alot of colour and activity in your tank? Good luck on getting it all sorted. I look forward to seeing pics of your busy tank soon ☺️.

Edited by Shrimpelina
  • Like 1