How often do you clean your canister filter?

Sprae

Hi all, as I've got my new Eheim 2213 running up to 4 weeks now for a 23L nano tank (as a 2nd filter), I'd like to know what other maintenance schedules are like.

I've heard that canisters should be cleaned every 4-6 weeks. But with such a small volume of water with two filters, I'm thinking maybe clean the filter every 2 months?

I don't clean mine until the flow is reduced greatly, even then with eheims I just backwash them usually. That being said I don't generally use any kind of fine sponge.. I guess my record would be no cleaning for 18 or so months, probably 3 months at the quickest interval.

I had scheduled every 4-5 weeks...stretched it to 8 weeks the last time, and a nano tank of mine had a huge nitrate surge (build up of crap), so best to do it every 4-6 weeks I reckon....just a quick rinse/squeeze with tank water...no major cleaning.

I don't use canisters.

But I guess all filters while different in the way they operate are for the same functions.

I pretty much clean mine when;

A) The flow is reduced.

or

B) The filters are not keeping the desired levels.

If I am getting good flow rate from them, And the nitrate levels are acceptable I leave them be.

My theory is, Why mess with something that's working.

I have a Classic 2217 on my 4ft and clean every 4-6 weeks as flow pretty much stops. I've managed to speed up the cleaning process by putting my media into media bags so only a handful of things to pull out and rinse. I also removed the fine and corse mats and started to use an internal Otto to increase the times between canister cleans.

I usually clean my canister filters every 4-6 months. Never really had an issue with that. Occassionally I clean it more frequently if I notice flow decreasing significantly.

Most my filters I clean only when the flow is reduced or levels are out.

I don't set a schedule because the large turn over or changes in stocking levels.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• sdlTBfanUK
      It has been a few weeks now and I have done a couple of large water changes. I tested the water parameters this morning, GH6 and KH2, TDS 140 and PH 7.5. Obviously the PH is off but there isn't anything in the tank that should cause the PH to rise to this figure so I will just run the tank for another month with 10% weekly water changes (probably just with RO water) and see where we are at that point. The RO water tests at PH6, and the KH and GH in the tank could come down as they are at the upper limits for Caridina shrimps! There are only about 10 very small snails in there at this point, but they seem to be doing well enough.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I believe these to be very rare in Australia so you may even consider making it a longer term plan and produce your own by starting with the best CRS you can get as that is where the pure lines started! Depends how patient and interested in the project you are, but would save money as well? If I recall correctly it takes from 8 generations of selective breeding? They sell them at micro aquatic shop but do not ship to Western Australia, but that means they are available in Australia. https://microaquaticshop.com.au/products/pure-red-line-grade-ss-shrimp Good luck and just maybe smeone on here may point you in the right direction or be able to supply you with some.
    • Jimmy
      Hi Guys,  Does anyone know where to buy PRL shrimps in WA, not the CRS please. Thanks Regards  
    • Subtlefly
      Yes it’s super accurate to position where I want now and stay there- I am satisfied.  All the fish and shrimpers are doing excellent! Coming up on 4 years running!
    • sdlTBfanUK
      You must be pleased with that, it looks better and is much more robust and less likely to damage or leaks! The tank looks very natural now it has been running for a time. I see the ember tetras, how are the blue shrimp doing, I see a few? The cat and dog look very content and unimpressed, lol.