How often do you clean your canister filter?

Sprae

Hi all, as I've got my new Eheim 2213 running up to 4 weeks now for a 23L nano tank (as a 2nd filter), I'd like to know what other maintenance schedules are like.

I've heard that canisters should be cleaned every 4-6 weeks. But with such a small volume of water with two filters, I'm thinking maybe clean the filter every 2 months?

I don't clean mine until the flow is reduced greatly, even then with eheims I just backwash them usually. That being said I don't generally use any kind of fine sponge.. I guess my record would be no cleaning for 18 or so months, probably 3 months at the quickest interval.

I had scheduled every 4-5 weeks...stretched it to 8 weeks the last time, and a nano tank of mine had a huge nitrate surge (build up of crap), so best to do it every 4-6 weeks I reckon....just a quick rinse/squeeze with tank water...no major cleaning.

I don't use canisters.

But I guess all filters while different in the way they operate are for the same functions.

I pretty much clean mine when;

A) The flow is reduced.

or

B) The filters are not keeping the desired levels.

If I am getting good flow rate from them, And the nitrate levels are acceptable I leave them be.

My theory is, Why mess with something that's working.

I have a Classic 2217 on my 4ft and clean every 4-6 weeks as flow pretty much stops. I've managed to speed up the cleaning process by putting my media into media bags so only a handful of things to pull out and rinse. I also removed the fine and corse mats and started to use an internal Otto to increase the times between canister cleans.

I usually clean my canister filters every 4-6 months. Never really had an issue with that. Occassionally I clean it more frequently if I notice flow decreasing significantly.

Most my filters I clean only when the flow is reduced or levels are out.

I don't set a schedule because the large turn over or changes in stocking levels.