another chiller question

chad590

So I have a JBJ Mini Artica 1/15 HP chiller that I bought. It didnt come with a pump and I'm clueless when it comes to selecting one.  I have a 12gallon tank and was wondering what size pump i would need, and would it be too much flow for shrimp?

I'm not familiar with that make/model of chiller. However most chillers have a rating system (for example 100-200 gallons/hr). Select a pump rated around the middle of the chillers range (for example 150 gallons/hr). Alternatively you could connect the chiller to the outlet of an external canister filter. this is better than using a stand-alone pump because the water will be filtered prior to entering the chiller, meaning the chiller is far less likely to become clogged. Once again the filter needs to have a similar flow rating as the chiller.

• Like 1

That JBJ Mini Artica is a good chiller. @fishmosy it's one of those brands we don't get in Aus. Our market is too small and it's already dominated by Teco, Hailea, and Resun. As always we miss out on many things.

@chad590, that chiller you have is rated at Flow Rate: 110-160 gph.

As fishmosy said, most will run chillers off a canister filter. It's a lot more convenient, and clean water flow into the chiller is recommended to avoid blocking the chiller. So if you have a canister filter rated around the recommended flow rate, then plumb the output of the filter into the chiller's inlet 1/2" (13mm for everyone else on metric) connector. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jayc said:

@chad590, that chiller you have is rated at Flow Rate: 110-160 gph.

As fishmosy said, most will run chillers off a canister filter. It's a lot more convenient, and clean water flow into the chiller is recommended to avoid blocking the chiller. So if you have a canister filter rated around the recommended flow rate, then plumb the output of the filter into the chiller's inlet 1/2" (13mm for everyone else on metric) connector. 

Thanks for the help. I ask other shrimp/aquarium forums and they are NO help. Ever.

Ive been asking around on other forums too about the canister to chiller question and never got a straight answer. this has been bugging me for days!

So if i was going with a Fluval canister, would a 106 (550lph/145gph) work? or the Fluval206 model better?(780lph /206gph) 

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/product/A202-106-canister-filter/   -- 106 filter

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/product/A207-206-canister-filter/   -- 206 filter

Edited by chad590
links to canister filters.

4 hours ago, chad590 said:

So if i was going with a Fluval canister, would a 106 (550lph/145gph) work? or the Fluval206 model better?(780lph /206gph) 

@chad590, both will work.

It just depends on how much flow you want in your tank. 

But remember, the rated canister flow will be greatly reduced due to prefilter mesh/sponge intakes, filter media, chiller, and spraybars. So a 206gph rating of the Fluval 206, might actually only be 160gph. 

So if you thought that 206gph was a lot of water movement, it isn't after it's installed in the loop.

In regards to choosing a canister filter, I would personally choose the bigger, more powerful canister (where practical). That means picking the 206. The extra filter media space is important, you can never have enough biological filter media. The bigger canister ensures that there is enough flow rate to run the extra chiller, flow is reduced when adding those things mentioned above. And if you find flow is too strong in the tank and blows everything around, it is a lot simpler to reduce flow. Whereas, it's near impossible to increase flow from a smaller, underpowered canister.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Great info from @jayc as usual.

I just wanted to add that once you have your canister running as Jayc mentioned you will need to adjust the flow. The reason is, if the flow is too slow the water in the chiller will cool too fast making the chiller stop prematurely (a mistake I made earlier in the year, It took me awhile to realise why it was constantly starting and stopping). On the flip side if the flow is too fast it will not effectively cool the water either. You will have to experiment with the flow until you get it just right.

• Like 1

• HOF Member

While on the question of chillers what do you do over winter.? Do you leave the chiller on, leave it attached to the canister but turn the chiller off or do you disconnect the chiller and take it out of the system? If you disconnect it what do you do to keep it in good condition while not in use. This is my first year using a chiller, when I was using fans I just took them off for the winter but I have no idea about what the best thing to do with a chiller

5 hours ago, ineke said:

While on the question of chillers what do you do over winter.?

I don't know if there is a correct answer for this.

I was lazy last winter, so I left it connected but turned off. 

However, this coming winter I am planning on disconnecting it and draining it, to remove any gunk that might have built up. I am going to stick the garden hose in through the outlet port (opposite to the normal flow) and blasting it with high water pressure.

Store it dry. Do not leave water in it while in storage.

Aquarium chillers will need routine maintenance such as removing the front grille and vacuum the build-up of dust. This is easy to perform and greatly helps your chillers performance. This can be done without disconnecting the hoses, and can be done anytime.

Aquarium chillers used in a Marine tank will need to be flushed with vinegar to remove any calcium buildup. But I don't think this is necessary for freshwater tanks.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1