some riffle pics

fishmosy

• 4 months later...
39 minutes ago, neo-2FX said:

Was so awesome to see some of these in person at the championship! Top quality @fishmosy

Thanks mate. 

• Like 2

Awesome to finally meet you too @fishmosy, hope to see you down here for the next show with a swag of cool natives! 

So the field trip section is looking a bit thin... what's happening? Don't tell me I have to go up to Cairns and take my own pics? 

On 22 July 2016 at 11:05 PM, kizshrimp said:

Awesome to finally meet you too @fishmosy, hope to see you down here for the next show with a swag of cool natives! 

So the field trip section is looking a bit thin... what's happening? Don't tell me I have to go up to Cairns and take my own pics? 

I haven't had the time to go through all the pics and videos yet, as you know just started new job. I'm planning to find some time in the coming week so keep your eyes peeled. 

• Like 1

Great looking shrimp @fishmosy I will be looking at getting some of these in the future, thanks for sharing the pics.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• braga
      By braga
      Has any progress been made in figuring out how to keep riffle larvae alive?
      From what I've read here and elsewhere, it's not entirely clear whether it's an issue of chemistry/hardness or food.
      This is a basic but important question, and I think it's easily answered by running a few experiments using water drawn from a creek where they naturally occur.

Is there anyone here that can help?
    • waffle
      By waffle
      Peeps who keep riffles, do you find they prey a lot on shrimplets from other species? I'm thinking they'd eat larval-form babies that float into their fan-hands, but wondering, do they hunt around for non-larval shrimplets? I'm trying to decide whether to continue keeping them in their own dedicated tank or whether they can find a home with my yellow cherry tank, which is currently very understocked. I keep them out of my dedicated native tank because I don't want all the larval paratya to be eaten. I think they'd look quite nice together with the yellow cherries, but I'm leaning towards that being a bad idea for the sake of shrimplets.
    • NoGi
      By NoGi
      Give it a few minutes to finish uploading
    • Grubs
      By Grubs
      The pump flow jets into the corner of the tank and bounces the flow back out across the semi-circle of pebbles which provide "hang-on" spots for the shrimp. Not surprisingly this was set up to also give maximum viewing potential for me :D
      Feeding (infrequently) a mix of Sera micron powder, brine shrimp nauplii, and milk paramecium that I culture as fry food (I strain out the big ones on 50µm mesh).
      I also drop bits of mulberry leaf into the tank every now and then.
      I've found reproduction to be very seasonal.  In the 18 months I've had them this is only the second time I've had berried females - last time was last summer.

• Baccus
      By Baccus
      Does anyone know how quickly or slowly Riffle shrimp actually grow? I think it was around 2 years ago (maybe 3) that I went to Cairns and got to collect some riffle shrimp. Since then I have purchased riffle shrimp and all have been large full grown females. But my dilmeia is I still am finding small riffles in the tank. Surely they cant still be the original small riffles wild caught in Cairns, that for some reason just arent growing.
      The only other option I can come up with is that by some miracle the riffles are breeding in the tank. Highly unlikely I know but stranger things have happened in peoples tanks.
      The tank is a 4ft around 200L with lots of structure and plants, filtered by a 800L/hr HOB. I rarely actually do any plant maintence on the tank and everything is pretty much let go, hence the constant suprise of new baby corys emerging. It was only because I removed the current falling apart java fern tree and remade it with new timber that I rediscovered that I still have plenty of small approx 1-2cm riffle shrimp hiding out in the tank. Other tank inhabitants include Threadfin rainbows, Pygmy rainbows, otocinclus, Borneo Suckers and chameleon shrimp. I was also pleasantly suprised by how many chameleons where in the tank and showing lots of various patterns and colours.
      So do I have particularly slow growing riffle shrimp? Are they gradually breeding? Or is there some other alternative I cant think of happening.
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• jayc
      Ah yes. That was the injectable form of oxytetracycline. Each mL of the injectable form contains: 100 mg oxytetracycline HCl, 5.75% w/v magnesium chloride , 6 H2O, 17% v/v water for injection, 1.3% w/v sodium formaldehyde Sulfoxylate as a preservative and q.s. with propylene glycol. Basically, it has additional compositions in it. 1000mg might have been the dose recommended for the injectable oxytetracycline, but if you have the powder form then follow the dosing rates as recommended on your bottle. Hope that clears it up a bit.     As for doxycycline and it's use to treat short antenna ... I cannot comment on whether it will be more effective than oxytetracycline or not. But if you do use it, only try one at a time. Is bacteria even been proven to be the cause of "short antenna disease"?
    • beanbag
      14 April 2015 -  Update based on experiences of one of our SKF members. Unfortunately for this shrimpkeeper it was too late to save these shrimps, but hopefully this experience will help someone else. 250+ shrimp were lost before the bacterial infection was halted.   A vet was consulted and he eventually ended up contacting a senior lecturer of aquatic animal health at University of Adelaide school of veterinary science. He stated that bacterial infections being internal or external are almost always gram negative in aquatics and recommended using oxytetracycline at a dose rate of 1000-2000mg per 40ltr of water.   Dosing method: Oxytetracycline is available in 2 forms. Powder and injectable. The injectable form was used as it is a stronger form. This meant that we could use less to obtain the required dosage.   Dosed straight into the water column at 1000mg per 40ltr of water.
    • jayc
      What?! Can you point me to where you saw that please?   If in doubt, Always follow the directions on the bottle.
    • beanbag
      What is the recommended dosing for oxytetracycline?  The sticky thread has a mention of " 1000mg per 40ltr ", but I don't know if that refers to total amount of powder, or active ingredient percentage. I live in USA, where oxytetracycline is not as common, but I was able to obtain a bottle of powder.  On the bottle, it says [calculated out to] 75 mg / 10 gal, which is a wayyyy lower value.  Also, the manufacturer / distributor won't tell me the fraction of the power that is active ingredient vs filler. This is for a Taiwan Bee shrimp tank with pH 5.5 and Gh 5, in case that matters for the effectiveness of oxytet in these parameters. I also have doxycycline available if that is equivalent / better. It's to treat that "short antenna disease" in one of my tanks that seems to show up once every few months. I've already dosed with Maracyn 1 (erythromycin) and 2 (minocycline) and they didn't seem to work.
    • jayc