Sign in to follow this  
thai3

TDS

thai3

Hi all. I am new to this hobby and have been keeping cherries and crs for a few months now. Each species have their own tank, from 20L to 35L. They are breeding well so far and I am going to move them into 55L tanks.

The new tanks were added with RO and old aquarium water, which read TDS of 120-150ppm, minimally planted, 240-litre rated sponge filter, black earth premium substrate, temperature maintain about 24-26 degree Celcius. Tank cycle was surprisingly quick with another matured external filter, almost no ammonia till date, I am guessing BEP doesn't leach ammonia like other subtrates. 

On day 3 after setting up, I put one feeder goldfish in each tank to ensure the water is right. After another 3 days, TDS now reads 230ppm, other parameters stay the same. The goldfish were fed only once with 2-3 pellets. I do add liquid CO2 every other day. I am trying to keep the TDS down to 150ppm for cars, they never breed for me anywhere above 180ppm. 

My questions are,

Why TDS rose by almost 100ppm within 3 days?

In terms of breeding, would cherries do fine in 200-250ppm?

Managing the parameters is easy in smaller tanks but I am not ready to move them until I can manage the new tanks parameters. 

jayc
3 hours ago, thai3 said:

Why TDS rose by almost 100ppm within 3 days?

3 hours ago, thai3 said:

I put one feeder goldfish in each tank to ensure the water is right.

Your answer would be this ^^^

Goldfish fouls the water fast.

3 hours ago, thai3 said:

In terms of breeding, would cherries do fine in 200-250ppm?

That's getting on the high side of TDS for cherries. I would keep it below 200.

revolutionhope

Jayc is definitely right the goldfish will contribute significantly to TDS but I can also add that I have used BEP in two tanks and can say that BEP does leach some ammonia, it's not very significant but it does leach some so depending on how well the filters are seeded it is possible to get a spike. The other thing I can say is that it does raise TDS somewhat when first added. The amount it raises TDS will of course depend on the substrate:water ratio and maybe some other factors.

love n peace

will

Shrimpelina

I have found personally that my cherries do best with TDS under 200.  I keep sunkist and red cherries and have also kept blue gene red rili and have had not issues with breeding. Lots of berried girls and shrimplets :-).  I also keep a mixed specie tank so tend to keep my TDS quite low...

Edited by Shrimpelina

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Okay, so the title pretty much says it all... One of my berried tts just moulted, and she left the eggs in the moult. What happened, and why? 
      I'm going to try to save the eggs with some sort of extraction, and I'll be very careful. She was pretty far along. I think I'll use the net over bubbler method. Does anyone have experience with this, and particularly the extraction? I won't do anything until I have some idea to go off. 
      Thanks in advance.
      Crabby
      Oh and the moult is under like 2 hours old. Wasn't there when I started watching a movie, was there when I checked back after.
      Going off this video: 
      Hoping the process will be similar. 

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey folks!
      So I got myself a little 5 gallon (20L) recently (it was free!) to use for quarantine. I’m going to use it to qt some cory cats and maybe some tetras or gouramis for my community tank. The thing is, I’ve got it set up really nicely in my room and I want to have it actually stocked. I definitely don’t want a betta, but I found some super cute guppies on gumtree (Wild Thai Orchid) that I can never find locally. How many guppies do u think I could get in the tank?? The seller only has 4 pairs, so is selling in pairs but not trios, so that could have an affect on the amount. I also plan on adding shrimp, either of a neo or caridina variety, or native - like dae or chameleons. 
      So my questions are: how many guppies could go in the tank (assuming they breed and I keep the babies in with them for about a month each time), could I fit in anything else (with a pair or 4), like a couple of chilli rasboras or rocket killies, and will the shrimps be enough for a cleanup crew, or should I add an Otto or something?
      Cheers!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I thought I’d just make a single topic for my community tank, so I stop running around in other chats asking the same questions 😁. I’m going thru a big change in the tank at the moment, so will likely update in the morning with photos once the cloudiness is gone. Be prepared for a possibly very long message about a 10 hour process 😂.
      Cheerio!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, just found an add for this website showcasing a cool-lookin native algae eating shrimp.
      https://algaeeatingshrimp.com.au/products/australian-algae-eating-shrimp
      Anyone heard of these before or own any? My interest was peaked by the claim that they eat hair-type algae, as I have some on my crypts and lace fern that I cannot remove. And for a price of $4 ea, and super easy parameters, they sound pretty doable! 
      Tell me more oh great SKFians! 😁
      (or feel free to point me towards an already existing page)
      post-note: have you/do you keep these grubs? Seems like your sort of thing.
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Crabby
      Okay, so the title pretty much says it all... One of my berried tts just moulted, and she left the eggs in the moult. What happened, and why?  I'm going to try to save the eggs with some sort of extraction, and I'll be very careful. She was pretty far along. I think I'll use the net over bubbler method. Does anyone have experience with this, and particularly the extraction? I won't do anything until I have some idea to go off.  Thanks in advance. Crabby Oh and the moult is under like 2 hours old. Wasn't there when I started watching a movie, was there when I checked back after. Going off this video:  Hoping the process will be similar.   
    • Blazepelt
      Quick update: Definitely one saddled shrimp possibly 2. 3 Moults. And lots of activity! Here’s more pics.  
    • clippergear
      @Blazepelt  thanks for the advice of just spreading the powder on the surface of the tank for the babies. I hadn't thought of using it that way. @jayc  thanks for the recipe. It's probably very similar to anything Repashy would have but is more nutritious like you said. I know it's way cheaper to make my own!! Thanks for the link to the recipe. I've checked it out and it seems straight forward with readily available ingredients!! I've already located the super greens and the agar agar. I'm assuming I could add some other minerals and stuff to the recipe as well, which I like to do.
    • jayc
      @clippergear, make your own ! I have a recipe somewhere on this forum. It's more nutritious than repashy since they have to keep costs down.  Oh yeah ... found the link. https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/8429-new-food-type-for-shrimp-shrimp-kandy-feast/  
    • Blazepelt
      Hi clippergear, I don’t speak from experience but I hear shrimp adore repashy gel. Which is just repashy powder mixed with water and boiled. It comes out as a jelly. I have never heard of a shrimp that doesn’t like it. Most shrimp even love the straight powder form. It’s especially beneficial to shrimplets as the powder will float all over the tank.    -B