Sign in to follow this  
thai3

TDS

thai3

Hi all. I am new to this hobby and have been keeping cherries and crs for a few months now. Each species have their own tank, from 20L to 35L. They are breeding well so far and I am going to move them into 55L tanks.

The new tanks were added with RO and old aquarium water, which read TDS of 120-150ppm, minimally planted, 240-litre rated sponge filter, black earth premium substrate, temperature maintain about 24-26 degree Celcius. Tank cycle was surprisingly quick with another matured external filter, almost no ammonia till date, I am guessing BEP doesn't leach ammonia like other subtrates. 

On day 3 after setting up, I put one feeder goldfish in each tank to ensure the water is right. After another 3 days, TDS now reads 230ppm, other parameters stay the same. The goldfish were fed only once with 2-3 pellets. I do add liquid CO2 every other day. I am trying to keep the TDS down to 150ppm for cars, they never breed for me anywhere above 180ppm. 

My questions are,

Why TDS rose by almost 100ppm within 3 days?

In terms of breeding, would cherries do fine in 200-250ppm?

Managing the parameters is easy in smaller tanks but I am not ready to move them until I can manage the new tanks parameters. 

jayc
3 hours ago, thai3 said:

Why TDS rose by almost 100ppm within 3 days?

3 hours ago, thai3 said:

I put one feeder goldfish in each tank to ensure the water is right.

Your answer would be this ^^^

Goldfish fouls the water fast.

3 hours ago, thai3 said:

In terms of breeding, would cherries do fine in 200-250ppm?

That's getting on the high side of TDS for cherries. I would keep it below 200.

revolutionhope

Jayc is definitely right the goldfish will contribute significantly to TDS but I can also add that I have used BEP in two tanks and can say that BEP does leach some ammonia, it's not very significant but it does leach some so depending on how well the filters are seeded it is possible to get a spike. The other thing I can say is that it does raise TDS somewhat when first added. The amount it raises TDS will of course depend on the substrate:water ratio and maybe some other factors.

love n peace

will

Shrimpelina

I have found personally that my cherries do best with TDS under 200.  I keep sunkist and red cherries and have also kept blue gene red rili and have had not issues with breeding. Lots of berried girls and shrimplets :-).  I also keep a mixed specie tank so tend to keep my TDS quite low...

Edited by Shrimpelina

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, just found an add for this website showcasing a cool-lookin native algae eating shrimp.
      https://algaeeatingshrimp.com.au/products/australian-algae-eating-shrimp
      Anyone heard of these before or own any? My interest was peaked by the claim that they eat hair-type algae, as I have some on my crypts and lace fern that I cannot remove. And for a price of $4 ea, and super easy parameters, they sound pretty doable! 
      Tell me more oh great SKFians! 😁
      (or feel free to point me towards an already existing page)
      post-note: have you/do you keep these grubs? Seems like your sort of thing.
    • Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I’m going away for a few weeks and having a neighbour take care of my tank, as they are already gonna be caring for my cat during that period. I’ll be away for 2 and a half weeks, so not a huge amount of time, but the neighbour doesn’t have any experience with fish or shrimp tank maintenance.
      The tank will be fine without a water change during that time as long as I do one before I leave, I know that, but my 2 main problems are feeding and stopping my intake sponge from clogging up.
      For feeding I was considering getting a couple of pill boxes, like the ones that have seperate compartments for each day of the week, so I can set a certain amount for each day, and which foods.
      But for the intake sponge, I’m pretty stumped. My current intake is a sponge filter connected to the intake pipe, but it’s been clogging up once or twice a week due to how fine it is (and how messy my fish are). When it’s clogged, it puts strain on the canister filter’s motor, and that’s not good. I don’t trust her with cleaning it safely, plus I’m only paying her for 5 mins in the morning, and 5 at night. I’ve considered a mesh intake, but it looks like it could hurt a fish if it went past it quickly... plus I can’t check the size of the inside where the pipe could go as the only one I’ve found would have to be posted.
      Are there easy alternatives that I wouldn’t have to mod, or do intake sponges come in courser versions? (I haven’t checked).

Any input would be appreciated!

• Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
    • Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
    • bristlenose
      By bristlenose
      Hi, I've kept Red cherry shrimp for at least 3 years. I've never had a problem with them. I used to keep my shrimp in 500l tank but i got careless while buying plants and introduced planaria into my aquarium. I only noticed after the numbers got out of hand and i noticed the shrimp deaths adding up. I moved 200-300 shrimp into a standard 4ft tank planted aquarium and dosed with noplanaria along with melafix to ward off any bacterial infections. There were multiple dozens of shrimp shells all over after being moved. Initially i believed it may have been the planaria/bacterial/constant water changes/stress of new environment(i drip acclimated them for a 5 hours) that was killing them but i haven't changed the water in a 2 months but i still get the occasional death, 1 or 2 every few days. There are decent amounts of cuttlebone in the filter and also in the aquarium itself, and i also feed them the occasional powdered egg shells but i still get molting problems. Adults and also the month olds are dying, no discrimination. They're fed every other day shrimp snow, high protein discus granules and zucchini/pumpkin/spinach/dry seaweed every 3-4 days. I can see many berried females and small shrimp and also babies but i'm still losing shrimp constantly, easily 80+ in total. I don't want to buy a gh/kh test, they have never had any problems with molting in their last aquarium so can't quite understand why they're having problems now in the 150l. I've read so much online but i can't seem to find an answer, i'd sincerely appreciate any advice i can get. Thank you so much if you've managed to read all of this. Please feel free to ask any questions. The photo is from the current setup they're in.
      Previous tank parameters:
      Ammonia: 0 
      nitrite: 0 
      nitrates: 20ppm
      Ph: 8
      substrate: sand 
      Lighting: generic LED lights i got off ebay
      I don't know any other parameters.  cuttlebone in the tank and filter, no ferts, heavily infested with guppy grass. Large colony of bristlenose. 
      New tank parameters:
      ammonia: 0
      Nitrite: 0
      Nitrates:30-40ppm 
      co2: 3-4 bps 
      Ph: 6.5
      Lighting: generic LED lights i got off ebay
      substrate: ada aquasoil
      The new tank is heavily planted and dosed with root tabs and liquid ferts. Cuttlebone in the tank and filter. 6 large pieces of seiryu stone 17kg (i doubt they're authentic so they're some kind of limestone) Shrimp only tank

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• jayc
      ✌️   Absolutely only use bleach as the last resort, with nothing in the tank. (6parts water to 1part bleach for future reference). Even white vinegar is safer and probably just as effective for removal of planaria and worms. After you clear the old tank of gravel, give the glass a quick wipe with a vinegar soaked kitchen paper towel. Rinse and let dry in the sun. Use vinegar if that wasn't clear.   Set up the new tank as desired. If your other tanks are free of pests, you can use the filter media to seed this new tank. Wash the filter media in the water of the new tank. Yes, it will be dirty for a while, but you will have seeded it with millions of beneficial bacteria and probably cycle the new tank in a week.   PRL, real PRL, are pretty rare in Aus.  They will demand a high price for them, so check the legitimacy of the PRL. Find out the PRL history. Nice looking CRS is not the same as PRL.     
    • DEL 707
      Thanks. Think I'm going to order from Pro Shrimp, get 5 cheeries and 3 amano, just to play it safe.
    • Crabclaw
      Dang I thought u might say that... for some reason the guy at my rlfs (relatively local fish store) recommended them instead of honey gouramis as a bit of a feature fish. Are there any other ‘feature fish’ style fish that wouldn’t munch on my shrimp, or should I just have my endler trio? I’ll check out the page.
    • incomplet
      Hi Simon,  Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been using the GenChem No Planaria; honestly it worked so well the first time and most of the snail population/worms all disappeared and i tried to remove most of the larger rotting worms but didn't have a single casualty, they were Neocaridinas and i guess they were much hardier. But i did notice the packet wasn't sealed properly when I went back to use it a few months later. I haven't seen the SLAqua Z1 available in Australia before.  I used to own a marine aquarium previously with fish only; then i changed after a few years to a planted aquarium with CO2 and then to a smaller set up with shrimp. Currently have three tanks (2 foot with RC Shrimp, 1 foot cube with BB and another 1 foot cube with CBS); I've never had to really restart a tank but would rather consult SKF then have a crack at it myself. I wasn't use if using bleach to rid of all the hitch hikers was the right method. And i have no idea what ratio of bleach to water I should be using for a 27L cube. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Yeah i think RO water at stage 6 would be a bit over kill; especially with the time it takes to make the water. Thanks for that. I've got about 40-50 with about 10 as breeding adults and the rest as juveniles still; I'm not a picky person when it comes to culling; I'm enjoying the hobby not as breeder to sell to others. I'd figure it would be good fun to pass the time, water changes and watching the little fellas shrimp around picking and prodding at things. Also i have no idea about the F1, cross breeding, taibees, taitibees, etc. just more interested in seeing the differing colors.  I set up the CBS and BB tanks at the same time which also sit next to each other; the CBS population has exploded to about 100+ shrimp where the BB is a bit slower. Is that quite common; are BB more fragile? I thought about trying to have a got at PRL. Any advice? Cheers, Dan Hey jayc, Thanks for that; phew lucky i bought a spare way nack. Yeha i have lots of denitrate left over. Also hello fellow Sydney-Sider! Dan
    • jayc
      There are so many varieties of food you can be feeding them. Have a read of this Food & Nutrition section for more ideas. Leaves, flowers, vege scraps. Frozen bloodworms. Bee Pollen.