riffles eating shrimplets?

waffle

Peeps who keep riffles, do you find they prey a lot on shrimplets from other species? I'm thinking they'd eat larval-form babies that float into their fan-hands, but wondering, do they hunt around for non-larval shrimplets? I'm trying to decide whether to continue keeping them in their own dedicated tank or whether they can find a home with my yellow cherry tank, which is currently very understocked. I keep them out of my dedicated native tank because I don't want all the larval paratya to be eaten. I think they'd look quite nice together with the yellow cherries, but I'm leaning towards that being a bad idea for the sake of shrimplets.

Edited by waffle

I've never had it happen, but have heard rumours (friend of a friend stuff).

My belief is that IF a riffle is hunting down shrimplets, then it is not being fed properly. 

Edited by fishmosy
  • Like 1

Excellent, thanks for the tip! I feed mine plenty so it should be all good. 

I have saw my riffles eat other shrimp babies. As fishmosy said if they are well fed they wont actively hunt there first preference is filter feeding. like most of our natives they will take an accepted snack if presented. there is probably slightly less bubs in the divisions with riffles but more than in with parataya they will eat bubs more often but also usually only if they are hungry or it walks in front of them from my experience with both.

• Like 1