THE AXE HAS FALLEN!!!

wayne6442

Well it was only a matter of time. Last friday night i was fronted by the Minister of Home, War and Finance ( you can guess who) and given the ultimatum that my precious shrimp tanks have to be removed from the spare bunk room and re located elseware.:cower:

Now this sort of ultimatum possibley would not worry most blokes out there as we always have the garage/ or the trusty back yard shed to re locate to. (Howeve it sent all sorts of shivers through me because we live the idelic lifestile on a houseboat on the Gold Coast) so where could I put them? The only option i could see was to build some sort of smallish shed/ racks up on the top deck. After a lot of discussion it was agreed that this project COULD go ahead ( as long as it did not cost the earth, no more than $ 100.00, my monthly allowance Ha Ha, AND while your at it, do some thing with the three empty tanks upstairs)

Now I only have two 300mmx300mmx600mm tanks in the bunk room plus a chiller, and all of the other junk that goes with it. These two tanks are home to about 50 special project Cherry shrimp (One tank) The other tank is home to my Yellow cherries, twenty or so Darwin Alge shrimp and about the same number of Darwin red nose shrimp. I realy did not want to move this second tank, so cunningly I called another war council of war and put my case for keeping the yellows tank in the bunk room, pointing out the initial cost of the yellow Shrimp, and the need for special care!!:friendly_wink: $$$$$ Talk compromise struck.:victorious:Now i have 5 days to complete my project and my yellows tank is safe in the spare room.!!!! To Be Continued.:positive: Postcript, lose one tank and gain three in the new setup I hope!

Welcome Wayne6442

This is a win win situation by the sounds of it. I must say i have never known anyone to live on a house boat and keep shrimp also.

Mind you it sounds like a pretty relaxing way to live :)

how will the tanks go being outside with the hot weather you get on the Gold Coast?

sounds liek you have a good power of persuasion also mate, 3 new to lose 1 ! ha that's an argument worth having :)

i hope you going to take plenty of photos for us all and start a thread showing the build.

thanks for sharing that with us :encouragement:

Hi,

Thank you for the kind words, My build will not be very flash, due to space restrictions i am thinking somewhere down the line of a powder coated four shelve garage racking system about 800x400x2000mm from Bunnings, inclosing three sides with ply,Ply will be sealed and weatherproofed with libral coatings of resin mixed with acitone and a canvas flap down the front. 12 volt lighting system ( only needed late afternoon/night natural light during the day) 240v power already at location to run air pumps etc.Each tank will have sponge filters and I have already divided the bottom tank in half to act as a sump, the other half will be able to carry some livestock. A pond pump will act as a water circulating pump .water will be pumped via 15 mm pipes to each tank, each tank has been drilled with a 35mm hole so will be plumbed to take the overflow back down to the sump.Heating is provided by two 150 w heaters and cooling will be by a chiller in the summer. I hope. Lucky for me that Cherry shrimp are a hardy bunch. I have actually seen them thrive in water that has ice on the top to temps of 28 deg or above. Any way thats the plan for now.

This doesn't sound like a low budget builds mate :) im still trying to get my head around the fact your doing all of this on a house boat !

what happens when there are waves? or another boat drives past with a big wake?

i have to agree about the cherry shrimp being very hardy and think you are right in saying they will be ok in both extremes

with heat and cold.

we definitely want to see some photos of this :applause:

Guest Shrimpstyle

this sounds like an interesting setup

wont the seagulls have diner everyday on you shrimp?? sorry if thats a stupid question :stupid:

but it the first thing i thought of when i read you live on a boat

Shrimp on a house boat, Awesome!! You could be the only person in Australia with them on a house boat :D This rack sound awesome too, can`t wait for pics!!

I have been working very hard over the last couple of days, the shelves are up, tanks are in place,plumbing done, shrimp are in their new homes, and everything works.Still very rough and needs finishing touches. By the weekend things should start looking better.

Boats, Birds and Seasickness. The thought of a bloody great Riveia or Maritomo flashing past at 40 knots leaving a wake as high as Mt Everest had passed through my mind.Having experienced this very frightening occurence more than once on the broadwater I have come up with some plans to combat this problem from happening again. Now as far as my build is concerned, it will be tethered using 4mm stainless steel wire and fittings to various structures fore and aft to stop it tipping, The tanks will be held in place by fiddle rails.( framing secured so as to stop the tanks from moving) the tanks also have non slip material under them.

Before I get the boat underway I also reduce the water content in the tanks to stop water slop( works sometimes) but does not stop my poor shrimp from getting sea sick with all the unusual slopping backward and forward of the water.At least they don't end up on the deck.The other safety rules are ,don't go cruising on the weekends or public hollidays, leave at first light or late afternoon,early evening,(speedsters don't like travelling in the dark) anchor up in sheltered places, not near main waterways. this way everything on board the boat remains safe and well.

Anyway enjoy the pics, as I said before it is nothing flash, but should serve its purpose for the time being.

Enjoy![ATTACH=CONFIG]41[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]43[/ATTACH]post-12-139909845518_thumb.jpg

MORE PICS

post-12-139909845528_thumb.jpgpost-12-139909845533_thumb.jpgpost-12-139909845536_thumb.jpgpost-12-139909845541_thumb.jpg

I should have bought a rack twice the width, More tank space! and possible dog house for me Ha ha,:cower:

post-12-139909845524_thumb.jpg

Hi Wayne, great to see you here and also great pics mate,

your house boat looks bigger than my house :)

but now after seeing the photos it all makes sense as there seems to be heaps of room.

how are those yellow going?

Hi Dean,

I recon I should put up pics of the interior of my boat, give everyone an Idea of how rough i have it.

As far as the yellows go. NO x!!xxxy GO, these guys are just having me on. Let me know when you have a real pair that know what they are doing.

Great to see the setup. Where there is a will there is a way. Do you have any photos of the whole house-boat?

not a problem! stand by.

Close mate, Just down the river at Hope Harbour Marina. Nicer than the Cove and not as expensive.

Guest Benny
Close mate' date=' Just down the river at Hope Harbour Marina. Nicer than the Cove and not as expensive.[/quote']

Heh. Haven't been back to GC for years. Grew up there.

To The Water Born ! ( well the shrimp anyway)

Two People, Two Dogs aaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnddddddddddddd The SHRIMP, The way to go![ATTACH=CONFIG]54[/ATTACH]post-12-139909845553_thumb.jpgpost-12-13990984555_thumb.jpgpost-12-139909845547_thumb.jpgpost-12-139909845544_thumb.jpg

To The Water Born ! ( well the shrimp anyway)

Two People, Two Dogs aaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnddddddddddddd The SHRIMP, The way to go![ATTACH=CONFIG]54[/ATTACH]post-12-139909845553_thumb.jpgpost-12-13990984555_thumb.jpgpost-12-139909845547_thumb.jpgpost-12-139909845544_thumb.jpg

post-12-139909856444_thumb.jpgpost-12-139909845615_thumb.jpgpost-12-139909856453_thumb.jpgpost-12-139909856458_thumb.jpg Boat is 48 ft long 20ft wide 2ft 6ins draft engines 2x 70 hp Mercs

post-12-139909845556_thumb.jpg

post-12-139909845559_thumb.jpg

post-12-139909845562_thumb.jpg

post-12-139909845565_thumb.jpg

bout time you paid us a visit. welcome to stay.

hi, pics of my house boat are posted

nice house boat, how do the tank cope when there is waves?

Mate they cope fairly well with most slop, but i definately would not take this boat out to sea,(some do) The only thing that upsets things is when some clown in a massive Riveria etc come racing past at 40 knots ( because they can!!!) close enough to share breakfast. The wake is tremendous and upsets things a bit, scared my 6 year old grandson to the point that he refuses to get on the boat again. Sad.Seams to be a bad trait of large boat owners no respect for others and their safety.

Lachie, The tanks will be ok in the waves, I will be holding them in place by things called fiddle rails, just pieces of timber fixed around each tank to stop them from sliding, also the tanks are sitting on some non slip material, so they should hold well. i will have to reduce the water levels by about a third before I go anywhere to stop most of the water slopping out.

Thanks Nolan, nice to see you here.How did your yellow red crosses go?