Sign in to follow this  
Bennett82

Worm like creature

Bennett82

Hi, this Is my first post on the forum and I'm not really sure where I should of posted it.

I've set up a new shrimp tank, been uninhabited for 6 weeks while cycling and sourcing shrimp.

Today I have found thin white worm like creatures swimming about, they are about 1-2cm long, I have been catching them in a net when I see them and they are a brown colour out of the water.

Does anybody know what they are and if they are safe with shrimp?

I think they might be hematodes?? :-/ 

Edited by Bennett82

NoGi

Are you able to take a picture?

Bennett82

I have tried but can't get a clear pic. This is the best I can get, out of the water. 

IMG_20160307_201601.JPG

jayc

Nematodes.

Do they swim in an 'S' shape?

It's harmless. A sign that the water conditions are getting ok.

Bennett82

They sort of squirm around in the current. 

My tank is cycled now and my shrimp are coming tomorrow, is it safe to put them in??

I read that fish eat them but I'm unable to move anything from my other tank due to the difference in conditions. 

Thank you for your replies 

jayc
2 minutes ago, Bennett82 said:

My tank is cycled now and my shrimp are coming tomorrow, is it safe to put them in??

Always test. Check Ammonia, Nitrite and to some degree Nitrates.

Check Nitrates to to ensure that it has not sky rocketed up during the cycling.

If Ammonia and Nitrites read zero then you are ready to add them in after a slow acclimatising. Do you have a TDS pen?

Drip acclimatise until the TDS of the tank is the same as the water the new shrimp is in.

Edited by jayc

Bennett82

I've done all the tests ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, kh, gh, tds everything is ideal. 

Sorry, what I meant was, is it safe to put the shrimp in with the nematodes? 

jayc
1 minute ago, Bennett82 said:

Sorry, what I meant was, is it safe to put the shrimp in with the nematodes?

Yes, it's safe.

Bennett82

Thank you for helping 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Wilbergz
      Tap is what im using, thank you for the help
    • Subtlefly
      Thanks for your input.. the tank is cement and is under our house, its what I use to top up my outdoor pond when it loses evaporation and the shrimp living out there are breeding.  I will certainly look into test kits but to begin with I am just going to cycle the tank with plants.  Thanks again!
    • sdlTBfanUK
      It is best to test the parameters of the 'source' water and go from there. Many people use dechlorinated tap water successfully with cherry shrimp (me included), but rainwater or RO water you will need to mineralise the water. I guess it is a bit too early at this stage as you don't have the tank yet, but you may want to ge the test kits so you are ready to go anyway - TDS meter/pen, GH, KH, PH and of course ammonia/nitrite/nitrate for cyclng the tank. I guess you can make life easier when you have the tests by testing the different 'sources' so you can get any minerals etc ready as well, and decide which source is going to best suit cherry shrimps? Rainwater is likely near to RO water so will likely need minerals added, and what is the storage tank/guttering made of, as some metals are toxic to shrimp, especially copper? Sorry, got a bit off original topic. All the equipment you originally listed looks good and well thought out from what I saw but as I am in UK it isn't the same 'stuff' here so hopefully someone from Australia will help with that aspect. Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I have often got odd groups of fungus growing when setting up new tanks, though not seen it on any shrimp, usually wood or ornaments etc and that clears itself in time once the tank is properly cycled and settled down. If he seems happy and active just keep a close eye on him and see how it progresses (hopefully disappears). Maybe the tank wasn't quite ready for him? I'm not quite sure how quickly/easy it is to cycle/establish when there are no plants, it may take longer as they are usually a part (speed up) of the process I would think, and if you have just got an ammonia reading this week? Keep testing Ammonia/nitrite and nitrate regulary at this point? If the ammonia gets too high it is normal to do a large water change, but that may trigger a molt so only do that if absolutely necessary. Don't overfeed the fish either (common mistake) as that may cause extra ammonia? What water are you using, RO or Tap? Simon
    • Subtlefly
      So we have a rainwater tank under our house and I have a pond in the yard - was kind of planning on using rain water or water that has been cycling through my backyard pond, native pacific blue eye fish and native red nosed shrimp out there doing their own thing.   If I am stuck and in a drought then I might have to resort to filtered tap water...  does this sound like a plan?