Sea of grass

ineke

• HOF Member

recently I was given some hair grass by Disciple and for the first time in 3 years have moved away from moss tanks. I had to buy some extra from eBay and then Neo- 2FX sold me some. The rocks are lava rocks from Newbreed Aquatics. The tanks won't win any aquascaping awards but it's a nice change from just moss and Java ferns. They should look good once the grass starts to spread. The lava tank is about a week and a half and the other one was done this morning. Excuse the towels on the chair in the mirror back of the tank I only just realised it was there!image.thumb.jpg.c7769d0a0cd9d83fe81840eeimage.thumb.jpg.c63bff32f2dda9fb27fea92b

• Like 5

thats going to be a lush field in no time! :cool: you'll need to buy an aquatic lawn mower soon 

• Like 1

Its true. haha

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Any new pics of the hair grass tank?  How does it do for you in terms of being able to see your shrimp?  The hair grass in my community tank is getting a little enthusiastic and I'm trying to decide if I want it in the shrimp tanks or if I should just try to sell it.

• HOF Member

Kaylenna I ended up pulling it all out last month. It grew very quickly and densely but I wasn't happy with not being able to clean the tank properly - things like snow got caught up in it and not being able to catch the shrimp. I also had a large snail infestation and couldn't keep them under control as the eggs were all through the grass. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture before I took it out. 

I removed all the shrimp I could catch first as I was a bit worried about an ammonia spike when I pulled it out. I didn't get one as it happened but better safe than sorry. I am now just putting a few pieces of grass in the middle of some of the tanks which looks OK  . 

That's what I was afraid of - I had a small patch of it in my Cherry/CRS tank and I could never keep it looking nice.  It needed very regular trimming (especially since I'd noobishly put the patch near the front of the tank) and tended to catch things too much. I yanked it all out in frustration one day.  But the shrimp loved hanging out in the grass, so I felt as if I should give it another try if I could find a better way to have it.