Width: 30cm
Light Requirements: High
Temperature: 18-25 °C
Hardness Tolerance: Medium (6dKH)
pH tolerance: 6.5 - 7.5
Growth: Moderate
Demands: Moderate
co2 requirements: Recommended

Crinum calamistratum is a unique plant found in Central Africa in the Western Cameroon region. This is the smallest species of Crinum that can be kept in the aquarium.

The calamistratum has a unique leaf structure. It is long, slender, deeply wrinkled, dark green and will naturally curl and loops as it grows longer. The leaf texture is hard thus most fish would not be about to munch on the leaves. The calamistratum like the natans require high lighting and will benefit from regularly measured co2. Being such a large and unique plant, with aquascaping, the calamistratum should be a feature plant. Being a large grower, the Crinum calamistratum's growing spot should be carefully considers. Constantly moving of this species around the tank should be avoided, as it will damage the huge root system and will eventually stress the plant and may melt away. The calamistratum is a heavy feeder, thus having a high nutrients substrate is recommended. A constant replenishment of root ferts is high recommended. Tempreture of the water must not exceed 30*C, the Crinum will start to melt from the leaves. The cooler the temp the better.

The bulbs of both the Crinum and the Onions (the ones we eat) is very similar. They consists of scale like structures which are formed by the leaves. If you cut open an onion you will see layers of flesh, these are called scales. Basically when trying to propagate the onion bulb you can cut the onion into quarters and new plant-lets will form, but instead of cutting the bulb of the Crinum, you cut the leaf off, making sure you cut most of it off. Once the leaf has been cut you should only have a thin piece of layer on the bulb. Eventually the layer will melt  towards the base, and a new plant will form. This method has worked 100% in the past, and many have tried this method.

View full article

• 3 months later...

I got a crinum from Mango over 4 years ago. It has given me much joy and supplemental tank funds in that time but alas it was so big that I decided it was time to move it on.

I've kept a few young ones still though, so have not lost it completely.

Sending it off has left a large bulbous plant sized hole in my heart though

750b750f0300523a8d0cf1947a3c6f10.jpg

35dbe5de58a20947011369d2f17da1b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, Foxpuppet said:

I got a crinum from Mango over 4 years ago. It has given me much joy and supplemental tank funds in that time but alas it was so big that I decided it was time to move it on.

I've kept a few young ones still though, so have not lost it completely.

Sending it off has left a large bulbous plant sized hole in my heart though

750b750f0300523a8d0cf1947a3c6f10.jpg

35dbe5de58a20947011369d2f17da1b7.jpg

How big is the tank in the photo? What is the height? I am still super keen on a crinum at some point so would like to imagine how tall they would grow to.

Nice. I'm sure you'll have those pups grow up into giants in no time! :)

That's an aquaone 980

for reference the last mother plant I pulled from the tank last night looked like this.

b87c9916ee36fbdc70962376eaa6157a.jpg

d6e981a7aa927b6b35a1ea2159d0d0f5.jpg

bf7afbe8bc18cb4a65b1a2d14b05a72b.jpg yes that's 1300 (1.3m) uncut!!!

e02c7361522dfc856bb861ed65679e92.jpg and this mangled mess is the original plant, when traded it had 11 pups attached and was older than my firstborn child LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4