How do I lower pH level without shrimp soil

Sprae

Shrimpsider has a great article on lowering pH without shrimp soil;

http://shrimpsider.wordpress.com/2012/11/12/how-do-i-lower-ph-level-without-shrimp-soil/

I was wondering what other techniques does others use here?

I like to use IAL soaked RO water to soften and lower pH in my tank whenever possible. Not sure if it's sustainable or stable though.

I use peat moss in the filter and under the substrate... but i use buffers from seachem that drop ph and reduce hardness

Fluval grains in you canister/sump' date=' CO2 & IAL are the ones I have used in the past....[/quote']

Is that meant to be Fulvic Grains or a new Fluval product?

Sprae, you're more efficient then the auto spellcheck !

Chris, I've got Fluval G3 on my mind...don't tell Oli.

Sprae' date=' you're more efficient then the auto spellcheck !

Chris, I've got Fluval G3 on my mind...don't tell Oli.[/quote']

Friends don't let other friends buy Fluvals. You're in for a lecture if he finds out ;)

I know Chris....Oli's already pre-warned me, but there's flashing lights, LCD screen, it's black & shiny .... I just help myself ! Sshhhh

I can stick some sequins on an Astro for you if you like sparkly/ shiny things ;) I have a customer of mine that owns a G6, he apologized to me for not listening to my advice, now that it's starting to play up.. He reckons he'll never go another Fluval product again.

Everyone has different experiences and I'm sure someone out there loves their Fluval. This is getting WAY off topic.

Im also considering a g3, most of the bad rap is on the g6 (some say g6 has more than a 30-40% failure rate). Blue Led screen + black shiny case = emanuel magnet lol

Fluval all the way <3

as for lowering pH, Tannins from driftwood will work. But who want's a tea stained water Shrimp tank?

Another option is Indian almond leaves.

Peat moss will work in filter and substrate too, But has the same problem as Tannins as it can discolour the water.

I personally think the best options are chemicals, But rather than add them to the tank directly I think it's better to add them to the water you're going to use for water changes.

Like, Rather than lowering a tank from a pH of 7.2 to 6.8 by dumping enough chemical additives to do so. Use the chemicals to lower the 10% water change to the desired pH so it lowers over time.

Using a 20L water bucket thing, You know the clear camping style water drums with the little plastic taps on the bottom and the big round cap at the top. Put some pH buffering substrate into it, Then fill it up with water and allow the tap water to be buffered in the drum then change the tank water with it on your 10-20% water changes to allow the pH to change slowly and the Shrimp to acclimatize too it.

You can do the same drum thing with chemical pH buffers or whatever. I just personally think that for $20 a bag or so it's no more expensive in the long term to use substrate rather than buffers and you know the pH should be around where you want it.

Hope this helps.