Cherry Shrimp turning brown

christinar

I have a tank with a female betta, 2 barbs and 1 shrimp.  I added the shrimp about 2 months ago and all seemed well until a few days ago.  My shrimp seems to be turning a rusty brown.  It is only on the top of the shrimp extending from the tail to his head.  At first I thought maybe he was moulting, but he still has it a week later so I am not sure.  I did a 30% water change this morning to see if that would prompt him to moulting in case that was an issue.  

Please help.  My 2 year old will be devastated if his shrimp dies

20160215_154734.png

3 hours ago, christinar said:

I have a tank with a female betta, 2 barbs and 1 shrimp.  I added the shrimp about 2 months ago and all seemed well until a few days ago.  My shrimp seems to be turning a rusty brown.  It is only on the top of the shrimp extending from the tail to his head.  At first I thought maybe he was moulting, but he still has it a week later so I am not sure.  I did a 30% water change this morning to see if that would prompt him to moulting in case that was an issue.  

Welcome to the forum.

From the angle I am not 100% sure but it seems like your shrimp has developed a "racing stripe" or a "skunk line" which is harmless. Some people like the trait and some don't.

The more I look at your pic does make it a little fuzzy looking so it could be something else.

54 minutes ago, Disciple said:

Welcome to the forum.

From the angle I am not 100% sure but it seems like your shrimp has developed a "racing stripe" or a "skunk line" which is harmless. Some people like the trait and some don't.

The more I look at your pic does make it a little fuzzy looking so it could be something else.

It doesn't appear to be fuzzy IRL, but I couldn't get the shrimp to come to the front of the tank today so the pic is a bit blurry.  It looks like the shell itself has turned brown.

I am relieved to know that it is probably ok!

Hi Christinar,

have a look at our Diseases and Diagnosis thread, and let me know if the brown you notice is anything like the following link

Irrespective of whether the issue is exactly like the examples in the link or not, most issues develop due to incorrect water parameters. Are you able to tell us anything else about your water parameters?

pH, Temperature, TDS.

Some of mine develop racing stripes - some white, some red/organge, one yellowish. 

Have you thought about getting your shrimp some other shrimp friends?

16 hours ago, DemonCat said:

Some of mine develop racing stripes - some white, some red/organge, one yellowish. 

Have you thought about getting your shrimp some other shrimp friends?

I am planning on getting one more for the tank.  I am hoping to find a blue tiger.

I am not wanting to introduce any more though unless the one I have is healthy.

16 hours ago, jayc said:

Hi Christinar,

have a look at our Diseases and Diagnosis thread, and let me know if the brown you notice is anything like the following link

Irrespective of whether the issue is exactly like the examples in the link or not, most issues develop due to incorrect water parameters. Are you able to tell us anything else about your water parameters?

pH, Temperature, TDS.

I do have pool water testers.  Which measurements am I looking for?

I am wondering if the shrimp is not a cherry shrimp after all.  In looking at the shrimp pictures.  Is it possible that it is a Malyan shrimp?  my shrimp looks like this...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37014&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1320223340

I do have pool water testers.  Which measurements am I looking for?

pH and Temperature at the very least.

GH and KH if you have the test kits.

I am wondering if the shrimp is not a cherry shrimp after all.  In looking at the shrimp pictures.  Is it possible that it is a Malyan shrimp?

Very possible. Your original picture is very blurry, but the Rostrum and markings close to the tail would indicate that it's closer to a Caridina Malaya than a Cherry. A macro shot of it's rostrum will help identify it.

It would also make sense that you are seeing colour changes. The Malaya is a bit of a chameleon, and can change colour

A bit like our own native Chameleon shrimp.