Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
christinar

Cherry Shrimp turning brown

Recommended Posts

christinar

I have a tank with a female betta, 2 barbs and 1 shrimp.  I added the shrimp about 2 months ago and all seemed well until a few days ago.  My shrimp seems to be turning a rusty brown.  It is only on the top of the shrimp extending from the tail to his head.  At first I thought maybe he was moulting, but he still has it a week later so I am not sure.  I did a 30% water change this morning to see if that would prompt him to moulting in case that was an issue.  

Please help.  My 2 year old will be devastated if his shrimp dies

20160215_154734.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Disciple
3 hours ago, christinar said:

I have a tank with a female betta, 2 barbs and 1 shrimp.  I added the shrimp about 2 months ago and all seemed well until a few days ago.  My shrimp seems to be turning a rusty brown.  It is only on the top of the shrimp extending from the tail to his head.  At first I thought maybe he was moulting, but he still has it a week later so I am not sure.  I did a 30% water change this morning to see if that would prompt him to moulting in case that was an issue.  

Welcome to the forum.

From the angle I am not 100% sure but it seems like your shrimp has developed a "racing stripe" or a "skunk line" which is harmless. Some people like the trait and some don't.

The more I look at your pic does make it a little fuzzy looking so it could be something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
christinar
54 minutes ago, Disciple said:

Welcome to the forum.

From the angle I am not 100% sure but it seems like your shrimp has developed a "racing stripe" or a "skunk line" which is harmless. Some people like the trait and some don't.

The more I look at your pic does make it a little fuzzy looking so it could be something else.

It doesn't appear to be fuzzy IRL, but I couldn't get the shrimp to come to the front of the tank today so the pic is a bit blurry.  It looks like the shell itself has turned brown.

I am relieved to know that it is probably ok!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jayc

Hi Christinar,

have a look at our Diseases and Diagnosis thread, and let me know if the brown you notice is anything like the following link

Irrespective of whether the issue is exactly like the examples in the link or not, most issues develop due to incorrect water parameters. Are you able to tell us anything else about your water parameters?

pH, Temperature, TDS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DemonCat

Some of mine develop racing stripes - some white, some red/organge, one yellowish. 

 

Have you thought about getting your shrimp some other shrimp friends?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
christinar
16 hours ago, DemonCat said:

Some of mine develop racing stripes - some white, some red/organge, one yellowish. 

 

Have you thought about getting your shrimp some other shrimp friends?

I am planning on getting one more for the tank.  I am hoping to find a blue tiger.

I am not wanting to introduce any more though unless the one I have is healthy.

16 hours ago, jayc said:

Hi Christinar,

have a look at our Diseases and Diagnosis thread, and let me know if the brown you notice is anything like the following link

Irrespective of whether the issue is exactly like the examples in the link or not, most issues develop due to incorrect water parameters. Are you able to tell us anything else about your water parameters?

pH, Temperature, TDS.

I do have pool water testers.  Which measurements am I looking for?

I am wondering if the shrimp is not a cherry shrimp after all.  In looking at the shrimp pictures.  Is it possible that it is a Malyan shrimp?  my shrimp looks like this...

 

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37014&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1320223340

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jayc
3 hours ago, christinar said:

I do have pool water testers.  Which measurements am I looking for?

pH and Temperature at the very least.

GH and KH if you have the test kits.

 

3 hours ago, christinar said:

I am wondering if the shrimp is not a cherry shrimp after all.  In looking at the shrimp pictures.  Is it possible that it is a Malyan shrimp?

Very possible. Your original picture is very blurry, but the Rostrum and markings close to the tail would indicate that it's closer to a Caridina Malaya than a Cherry. A macro shot of it's rostrum will help identify it.

 

It would also make sense that you are seeing colour changes. The Malaya is a bit of a chameleon, and can change colour

A bit like our own native Chameleon shrimp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Must Read SKF Articles

  • Join Our Community!

    Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

  • Posts

    • jayc
      Naww. Baby rams so cute! Great camera work Elkwatcher.
    • Elkwatcher
      I've tried numerous times starting with healthy green moss and ended up with mostly dingy brown green bunches.  It's just floating on it's own, tried lower light, lower temps, ferts not that it needs it as it can get it's nutrients from the fish poop.  I'll stick with Subwassertang and Christmas Moss for the shrimps to graze off of!    
    • Elkwatcher
      The Ram bebe's are growing!  There were over 100 to start in the main tank and I turkey basted a baker's dozen into my quarantine tank.  My first egg to fish experience.  I am culling the weakest and hope to get down to 10 as I would like to keep them.  I've read a good ratio is 3 females to 1 male for compatible mates?  I won't find that out until they are almost full grown unfortunately.  Now when they spawn I take the rock and scrape the eggs right into the Giant Danio tank, they seem to like caviar!  😁  When the fry have eaten enough live BBS they get wonderful pink bellies!
    • Elkwatcher
      @Steensj2004 I have older DSLR's.  A Canon 5D and 7DII    The 2 lens I use for Aquarium are 18-55mm and a 100mm macro.  I am still learning. 🙂
    • Steensj2004
      Fantastic pictures! What camera are you using!    
×
×
  • Create New...