Otto diagnosis. Disease or injury ?

bort

Anyone have any experience with an otto looking like this. Please refer to tail where its discoloured and looks like his been bitten.

Other 7 seem fine besides 1 has a mini blemish on top fin.

20160211_204820.thumb.jpg.7419af23b8bb44

I have not seen anything like that before. 

Otos are tough. It should recover. 

Quarantined the oto and added a pinch of salt died next day.

Quarantined the other last night with injury on top fin. Dont wanna risk the community.

Gonna try get some meds for the poor fella.

Can't really tell much from the photo but he looks skinny.  Perhaps your tank is too clean?  They should have little "pot bellies" and the females should be quite the fatty-boom-bah.

• Like 1

Looks like fungus, probably spyrolegnia. Salt bath should help along with fungal med available at lfs. This can be due to bad water quality.

+1Definitely a fungus. 

It's not just bad water quality, but rather wrong water parameters. Too hot, too cold, pH is too high, etc.

Fungus can also be a sign of low immunity.

And can be a result of some other cause that has resulted in the lower levels of immunity.

Edited by jayc

• 2 months later...

Ref the skinny looking otto, do you have a sponge filter, if the food level is down they may be chewing the sponge clean, eating pieces of the sponge as well that gets into their gut blocking them making it impossible to eat resulting starvation. I lost a batch of albino BNs fry just getting to a good size and noted the sponge filter was vey chewed up. They became thin and noted their stomachs were dark in colour (my guess afterwards was bits of sponge) causing a blockage. All my Catfish now have box filters in place replacing sponge filters, problem solved.

• Like 2

The Otto may have bruised itself in the tank leading to exposed skin due loss of scales and mucous. Such sites are prone to fungal infections. Malachite green is excellent at treating fungal infections. 

• 4 months later...
37 minutes ago, Mattfish1508 said:

just wondering if anyone has used ESHA meds

Never heard of them. Where do you get it? Are they sold in Aus?

• Like 1

Hi Jay C,not available in Aus as far as I know.I purchase mine from Great Britten,On EBAY ,the sellers name is Rainbowoik I think.Have used their products for years and is safe for shrimp,plants,filter bacteria,fry.Have used with all these but have Not tried on Crystal or Bee shrimp. Health Booster is also a great spawning trigger for my discus.I will check and make sure sellers name is OK .  Matt..And also only 3 days and that's it not like some 5to 10 days

@Mattfish1508, you should write a review on SKF of the product/s for our international members. I know I prefer word of mouth recommendations over generic reviews from ebay feedback.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 2