Refusing to moult.

revolutionhope

Hey shrimpers!

I'm hoping to get a list of possible reasons why a saddled female shrimp would refuse to moult? I have a suspicion what might be the reason for this occurring in my specific situation but don't want to bias anyone's feedback so I'll hold off giving any details for now.

Eagerly anticipating any input, thanks in advance!

Love n peace

Will

Kind of experiencing this in one of my tanks as well. My reasons are lack of calcium, GH too high, and other WP are off.

Edited by larrymull

I agree with Larry.

It would be some kind of WP issue. Most likely to do with the GH. What is the TDS, GH and Kh?

Could also be temp.

Also knowing shrimp as soon as you ask about it they moult and become berried.

Thanks for the input guys :-)

Ill give some more detail i guess - the media and gravel and moss etc is well established and the tank has correct gh, kh, temperature is constantly between 23-25C, Im using ro water with ss gh/kh+ (cherry shrimps).

Effectively did an 80% water change approx 3 weeks ago when the shrimps were moved to new aquarium (very large one). One berried lady held on to most of her berries and other saddles continues to develop but are as big as they can get i believe. (The berried lady has been gradually dropping the berries but this has always been the case with my ycs since i got them in feb last year).

Any creative suggestions will definitely be welcome :-)

I have always heard Yellow will breed like mad then after awhile they slow down.

Btw have you checked your nitrates? or ammonia?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just found this! Wasn't notified due to my silly settings!

I tried loads of things to get them to breed. In the end I moved them to a crs tank where a number of them got berried but sadly no shrimplets ever materialised. :-(

I've decided that the line I had was an extremely fussy one. I'd like to try to breed this particular line again one day as they were a very bright yellow. If i do try again and still have no success I think I would resort to obtaining some females from somewhere else and breed the males from this line with them... one day maybe .. one day ...

Love n peace

Will

Although in the USA, I've heard of some people buying the painted black gravel from Petco and not being able to get their shrimp to breed. Once the crappy inert gravel was replaced with something else, the shrimp bred just fine.

• Like 1

That's interesting@Zoidburg . My gravel isn't a problem but they did start breeding in the crs tank with substrate so maybe there's something in that?

I do know this colony I got my stock from was kept in a rack with substrate..

Just some thoughts then....

Maybe find out what type of substrate the shrimp were kept on and what the water parameters are? Might be crazy, but even go as far as using the same remineralizer, if that's what the breeder uses? (if not tap water?)

Basically, trying to match what they came from.

Cheers@Zoidburg I did try my best to match parameters and they did get berried but I had no shrimplets survive. My ycs being in a tank fairly well stocked with CRS might not have helped though. If the exact same substrate is what was missing I'd be surprised. Pretty sure he was using ADA substrate and im using cal aqua black earth premium so not the same substrate but anyhow..

If the shrimp was so fussy they only breed well in his substrate then I think the line needs some new blood added for sure.

Love n peace

Will