• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• kms
      It wasn't intentional, I was just putting the new shrimps into the tank, the dead shrimp just fell into the tank. I just purchased another 10 crabs today to make it a total of 22, but the shop put a few more in the bag for me, I will be keeping about 10 crabs, the others are for two of my friends, there tanks isn't setup yet, as these crabs are hard to obtain in Hong Kong, the last time I saw them available was over 5 years ago.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I would imagine that the crabs will eat dead shrimps, even shrimps eat dead other shrimps, as they are both scavengers. Not sure that they would attack a live shrimp but it is probably best t keep a close eye on what happens before getting any more of either shrimps or crabs for that tank! Simon
    • Grubs
      I think the live shrimp will be fine.  The micro-crabs are delicate creatures taking advantage of a rotting corpse. I'm sure the crabs will enjoy the protein.  Ordinarily I avoid feeding dead livestock to other livestock to prevent transmission of disease or unknown parasites although I will say as a shrimpkeeper the temptation is strong. 😄
    • kms
      Yesterday I put a 3 new shrimps in the tank, and one dead shrimp that was DOA in the bag, nothing happened to the 3 shrimps, but the dead shrimp was swarmed by 3 crabs as food, would you presumed the live shrimps might get attacked soon or later.
    • Lizzy
      Thanks so much for all the info guys. I’m very appreciative!  I’ll update once I get the RO going. Fingers crossed I don’t kill them all 😅 I’m really hoping this will encourage more breeding. In saying that, I have 3 berried as of the last week, which is pretty exciting.