one of those moments!

ineke

• HOF Member

I was lucky enough to be given 4 pure TB Bluebolts at the beginning of December - they were given to me because I had mentioned I had every colour pure TB except the BB. I have quite a few Taitibee BB but no pure ones. I decided to keep these guys in a seperate tank from the other TB because they came from a line that bred only BB when bred to each other. Anyway we thought there might be 2 pair but definitely 1 female. I was very pleased to see her berried within a few weeks of getting her and settled in inpatiently to await the arrival of shrimplets. Imagine my acute disappointment when a couple of weeks later I saw her not berried -complete devastation.

The BB's don't come out much during the day as there were only 4 in the tank and probably didn't feel safe. The girl came out a bit but didn't get berried again so today I thought as they didn't seem particularly happy I would put them into my main TB tank so they had company. The other TB haven't given me any BB so I would know the BB were from these guys initially. Anyway I caught out a very berried female- surprise number 1 and excitement plus- then I caught out a male - no surprise, then another male -oh well we weren't sure there were 2 pairs. I had taken out the plants and couldn't find the last shrimp which was very disappointing but I thought I better just double check the plants and sure enough there was this most gorgeous deep blue berried girl- surprise number 2- so maybe the first one didn't drop her eggs after all and I had been seeing a different girl . Anyway on to the next tank they went and they are already out and about- nothing like a bit of company to make them feel a bit more secure.

Back to the empty tank and replacing the moss etc. now for surprise number 3 and one of those moments- sure enough once I was tidying up the tank i saw movement -blue movement -there were little baby - like very little baby  - Bluebolts swimming around! so not only did my girl have her babies but she must have gotten berried again straight away. The sad side is now That I have moved the adults I can't really move them back straight away -even though my tanks are all very similar I don't want to take the chance that the girls might drop their eggs with 2 moves on the one day. So if the babies survive -my shrimplet survival rate these last 12 months have been excellent so they should survive- I will be overun with Bluebolts both pure and hybrid! I would never have dreamed of owning so many Blue bolts just a few short years ago - I'm very very happy- apart from having pulled a family apart -bring on the blues.

• Like 8

That is great news. Congrats @ineke cant wait to see the pics.

Really like the blue they turn once they are berried.

• HOF Member

Yes they are So blue.  Just love the Bluebolts they just about edge my Tibees out of 1 st place!

So are you going to move them all back into their own tank again?

• HOF Member

I'm not sure what to do????? I would like to keep them separate as they apparently breed true but I don't want to stress the girls too much. I will need to hurry up and make up my mind as I don't know when the second girl got berried. Mmm I think I might just go and catch them out now while I still can. Thank you Disciple sometimes I just need that little jolt to remind me!!!! The worst case scenario is they drop their eggs but the water is exactly the same so they should be OK!!!

• HOF Member

I've done it ! They are back with their babies - they probably don't care but I feel better ??

Waiting to be transferred and I'm home!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Since they are pure it would be a shame not to try keep them that way.

• HOF Member

I had them in with my pure TB but the breeder stated these bred only Bluebolts when bred together . I'm not mixing my pure lines with my Taitibees. I'm glad I put them back though as it will be good to know I can breed all BB's in that tank. Surprisingly my Taitibee TB are breeding 90% true to their colours too. I have separated them into colours as well - again not with the pure TB- I'm getting 100% TB from the Taitibee tanks but just an occasional panda from the Reds and an occasional red from the panda.!

• Like 1