Tidal Nerite Snail converted to Fresh Water

Baccus

The other day I was fortunate enough to finally hear of and collect some Pacific Blue Eyes out in the wild. The surprising thing was these Pacific Blue Eyes where in land locked semi-tidal pool that was pure salt water at the  time (surrounded by mud flats and salt pans), but gets town street runoff with the edges of the water supporting salt couch and mangroves. There was also lots of rubbish floating about in the water, namely balls and thongs. There where also other fish in the pond/ pool that you would normally expect to see in the sea or at least in the mouth of estuaries. While collecting the Blue Eyes, (which my niece was especially good at) I also found some nerite snails, as well as lots of mud welks.

I collected 3 nerites with the hope of being able to convert them to fresh water, but left the mud welks well alone.

Upon arriving home and gradually over several hours changing the dirty polluted over to clean dechlorinated fresh water, I was able to see the Pacific Blue Eyes all had patches of body fungus and tatty tails the nerites too where literally totally covered in algae growth. So began a treatment for the Pacific Blue Eyes of Multicure and the nerites went through the same treatment process. After three days (and only 2 deaths of Blue eyes that where already very iffy) everyone looked nice and healthy and even the nerites didn't seem bothered by being in either fresh water or the treatment.

A selection of Blue Eye females and two males went into a tank already housing 2 male Pacific Blue Eyes and one poor female Pacific Blue Eye, the nerites also went into the tank which houses 2 orange spot brislenoses, 1 lonely female whiptail and cherry shrimp. It did also have 3 rainbow fish but they where finally big enough to mix it with the other bigger rainbow fish in one of my 4ft tanks. The remainder of the Pacific Blue Eyes went down to my pond which I had always intended to stock with Blue Eyes.

Everyone seems happy and the nerites still have not shown an inclination to wonder out of the open topped tank they now find themselves in. In fact as soon as I put the nerites into the tank with the cherry shrimp, the shrimp came out and mobbed the nerites madly eating all the algae on their shells.

A now almost cleaned shell

P1110439_zpsaxrmrfjv.jpg

And finished product of the shrimps efforts

P1110453_zpsbkbsmynu.jpg

This one is carrying some looks like old eggs under its shell, just visible in its reflection.

P1110460_zpsmriocbej.jpg

P1110458_zpsmewak1as.jpg

P1110456_zpslsbecki2.jpg

All three nerites have the same banded patterns on their shells, would I be right in thinking that they are "tiger nerites" ? And are they likely to do well in the fresh or am I better off leaving them brackish?

• Like 1

You always have a nice little excursion Baccus. And I love the story that goes with it. You paint such a picture, that I can see that land locked tidal pool.

What? No pictures of the Pacific Blue Eyes?

Thanks for the encouragement.

I should have added that the nerites where so algae covered that you could not see their patterns, and originally I thought they where olive nerites.

I didn't take any photos of the fungus blue eyes, simply because the fungus would not have shown up on them, and they are hard enough to get clear photos of without trying to focus on some small fungus growths. But here are some photos of the end result after 3 days of multicure treatment.

P1110392_zpspeacufrj.jpg

P1110449_zpsa6ug7exv.jpg

I should also point out that the multicure treatment I used I have previously used with cherry shrimp and found to be safe for them, hence risking it on the snails. If I had not have had previous experience with the multicure treatment I probably would have used either malfix, IAL or salt to cure the fungus. But Salt might not have worked because the fish where already in pure (if polluted) salt water.

They look very healthy. And you have a good sized colony now.

My LFS sells these guys for $4.95 each or something like that. 

Unfortunately they are next to impossible to find in any of my local shops and online seem to always be sold out. So I am really happy to have this collection. I think they will do well in my pond with endler fry to eat, cull cherry shrimp, mosquito wrigglers and aphids falling in the water from the lillies. There is also a good population of bloodworms in the pond living it up in the vegetable matter that is thick on the floor of the pond.

As strange as it might seem, but that sounds like heaven for those Pacific Blue Eyes.

They might not know it, but they are lucky they were caught by you. they wouldn't have lasted much longer in that brackish pool.

Edited by jayc

I suspect the fungus on the Pacific Blue Eyes might have been caused not so much from the salt water but more so because of the lack of water movement in the pool and pollution from the nearby roads being washed in.

But yes I think I may have saved the Blue Eyes lives, and I do hope that they form a viable ongoing population in m pond.

• Like 1