Sign in to follow this  
revolutionhope

heat tolerant shrimps

revolutionhope

Greetings good folk of SKF,

I'm interested to know what people's experiences are with keeping shrimps at higher than normal temperatures?

My cherry cull tank had to endure temperatures between 28-35 for several days in a row this summer. All remaining berries were dropped at this time but some of them seem to be in good health still, while others have perished. There are a few batches of juvies in there at the moment and as they mature I am just curious whether the survivors were to breed again and then later generations were forced to survive the summer again and the process repeats over the course of a few years etc etc then to what degree might it be possible to breed a cherry shrimp at is "built for aussie conditions"?

Keeping shrimp cool can be an expensive and/or hobby-killing exercise and in my opinion it would be a great thing for them to comfortably survive temps in the low 30s (or higher).

I also know that the person i got my CRS from have told me that they had handled 28C safely at least for short periods. The ones that I got from him coped with several afternoons that reached 27 even briefly reaching 28 - and breeding didn't seem to be effected at all. Could anyone guess how much further the envelope may be pushed?

love n peace

will

al4n

When I kept RCS I had them in a tank around 28, constantly berried. CRS i keep mine at around 26.

larrymull

From my experience and speaking to experience shrimp keepers, shrimp can adapt to most situations whether it be high ph to high temperatures. That said consistency of parameters is key.

Paul Minett

most natives will take temps around 30 cherry up to 30 occasionally bees don't like it above 28

ineke

I have a thriving Cherry population that live in  a small pond outside under a pergola. They rarely get fed, they only get water top ups from my inside tanks, they do have lots of floating plants but no  filter. The water is crystal clear, there are always babies and they seem to be doing well even in our hot summers and cold winters. as mentioned stability is the key for them. The bee shrimp can tolerate high temps for short periods but they are much less likely to thrive. I have found a few in the pond that have been accidently thrown out with the water when they were tiny but I doubt they would survive long term.The other thing to consider when trying different temperatures etc is are they merely surviving or thriving- breeding and living the normal lifespan. It has been mentioned that higher temperatures are tolerated but shortens the lifespan of all the fancy shrimp. I do believe we tend to treat our shrimp as if they are very sensitive and they can withstand much harsher treatment but they deserve to lead a healthy comfortable life and not be stressed by conditions too far from their normal requirements.

• Like 1

revolutionhope

thanks for all the input people, and if anyone else can add their experience please do :-)

NoGi

I've just upped the temps in my tank with natives to 28 and so far no issues.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• FrumpyJack
      By FrumpyJack
      I have only been keeping Neocaridinas for about two months now, I have 10 blue dream neos in one tank, and 12 orange neos in a separate tank. The tank with the 10 blue dream neos has been slightly problematic though because it's a smaller tank and waste builds up a little faster.
      That being said, can anybody ID this swimmer in my shrimp tank? There is only 1 that I can see, it appears to have an exoskeleton almost like a shrimp, and it swims at the surface of the water by whipping its tail. I don't think it's a baby shrimp fry because I'm just now seeing my first female berried up and there haven't been any births before, but I suppose it is possible a fry snuck in with my order. Any help would be appreciated 😁

• sky99
      By sky99
      Hello everyone!
      I bought some pintos, and i did put them with my other bees (some panda, some king kong, some blue bolts).
      However, i can't seem to find if pintos do breed true (in that case, should i separate them? or will those mix with the others
      to make cool new paterns, colors, etc?)
      I have a hard time figuring what bee breed true if any.
      I've read that bee are a mutation of CRS/CBS, but do they produce  similar offsprings or is it more random as an interaction of
      multiple genes?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    • Chris0zx6r
      By Chris0zx6r
      Hi, I’ve got a 55 litre tank with some guppies, cardinal tetras, panda and peppered cories, amano shrimp and cherry shrimp (oh and a few unintentional snails). I’ve just discovered that there are maybe 10 tiny cherry shrimp (less than 2mm) underneath a piece of wood in the tank. Will they survive with the other species in the tank or should I put them in a breeding box at the top of the tank (I already have one) to stop them becoming fish food! Never had anything breed in the tank so far, so not sure what’s best.
      Thanks, Chris 
    • edishrimp
      By edishrimp
      Hey guys!
      I've had my CRS for close to a month now (bought about 20 juvies and adults on 30th June) and they seem to be really happy and healthy in their tank with the painted fire reds. So far the PFRs have been berrying and breeding like crazy but I've yet to see any berried CRS 😕
      Tank Parameters:
      Size: 14 Gallon Long Ammonia , Nitrite 0ppm Nitrate 20ppm pH 6.3 dKH 2 dGH 7 TDS 170 Temp 23-25c Diet: Bacter AE (1 scoop once a week-mainly for the PFR babies), Bornoewild Frenzy (once a week), Indian Almond leaves and aldercones for when they get the late night hunger pangs 😄
      So my question would be, do my CRS require some additional protein in their diet? I've been told breeding is quite a energy intensive activity for shrimp. And if so, would feeding some frozen blood-worms help to supplement this? 
      Thanks for reading!!
    • cdaJiv
      By cdaJiv
      I currently have a Fluval Spec V which is my shrimp tank, stocked with 20~ Cherry Shrimp, 1 Orange Rili (berring when I bought her and successfully birthed fry), and 2 Crystal Blacks.
      Last week I ordered 20 Assorted Rili Neo Davidi Male Shrimp (I thought I was ordering a mix of Males & Females, sadly mistaken). I also ordered the Dennerle/Shrimp King 10g (Shrimp King Tank) to put them in seperate from my Cherry Shrimp tank. 
      My question is this…
      I want to interbreed these Rili shrimp and in order to do that I will need to purchase a “Breeder Combo Pack” (10 female & 5 male) but I do not know what would be the best option to go with to breed with the 20 Assorted Rili Neo Davidi Male Shrimp that I already have coming.
      Only options that guarantee females:
      — Neon Yellow (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Orange Sakura (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Sky Blue Velvet (Neocaridia Davidi)
      — Golden Back Yellow (Neocaridia Davidi)
      ((Other Freshwater Shrimp from AquaticArts))
      I am looking to buy from AquaticArts because they have reasonable prices and I trusted shipping methods, but if anyone knows another source to purchase from that would have better options for what I am trying to do I would be grateful for that information
      Ive been doing my own research to see how interbreeding will turn out but is such a very in depth and situational topic, and I know if I get the wrong type of Neocaridia davidi then it would be possible that one gene is more dominate and would possibly just end up being all one color.
      Can I please have your opinions?
      Thank you

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Cesar
      Yep, I see it too... Will look into this... Recently upgraded to the latest forum software... Always bugs to fix afterward... Thanks @Grubs for bringing this to my attention.
    • Grubs
      I'm getting an error loading Articles but only when signed in to the forum.  Tested with  latest Firefox Quantum 69.0  and Edge.  Articles load perfectly  if I sign out, but not when signed in.
    • jayc
      If not prime,  you will have to use another de-chlorinator, as chlorine  will kill the bacteria. It might still cycle with prime,  but maybe a bit longer. Do you have access to one that doesn't bind ammonia?  No need to change the water  until you see ph drop below 6.5.
    • Razzy
      Hi, I'm cycling a tank ATM and I'm using Dr Tim's ammonia, stability and I do have prime. But I was wondering if prime would stall the cycle since the bacteria need ammonia to feed and prime turns it into a.non toxic form?  My ammonia's been pretty high for the past week and I've been trying to do a partial water change to keep the levels down, not going down, no nitrites. But I did just start cycling it last week.
    • kms
      It wasn't intentional, I was just putting the new shrimps into the tank, the dead shrimp just fell into the tank. I just purchased another 10 crabs today to make it a total of 22, but the shop put a few more in the bag for me, I will be keeping about 10 crabs, the others are for two of my friends, there tanks isn't setup yet, as these crabs are hard to obtain in Hong Kong, the last time I saw them available was over 5 years ago.