28 x 1 x 1 ft

DemonCat

I have a new pet project. I have been asked to give this 'aquarium' a fresh start by some family members, after it has been neglected for a while as the house has been renovated.

It is 28 feet long, one wide, and one in height in a 'u' shape. Its current state is poor, and a total overhaul is needed - filters, water, scape, stock. I will also look to install some led lighting at water level to light some parts in the evening. 

The location is at floor level in a sun room. It receives direct sunlight and the long side is north facing. 

Photos as of today before the planning phase!

IMG_20151226_101131.jpg

IMG_20151226_101137.jpg

IMG_20151226_101146.jpg

8 hours ago, DemonCat said:

a total overhaul is needed - filters, water, scape, stock. 

What are your plans?

SHARKS! :dizzy:

It's pretty limited in terms of stocking... Nothing that gets too big, nothing that tends to jump, I would stick with nano- or small fish, some shoaling species. It's a nice size, but shame you can only see from the top...
Emergent growth would be great in the corners imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jayc said:

What are your plans?

Yet to plan it in great detail. 

Pump at one end with waterOutlet pumped through a pipe up to the other end for water flow.

A few rocks but the predominant feature is to be driftwood that extends above and below the water line. Some kind of low light led system that lights up a few areas of the aquarium at night... But unsure how this will work at the moment. It will be low tech so plant wise some ferns and Moses... Maybe a water iris and some other similar plants. Stock wise I am thinking a dozen goldfish as you will not be able to see much else. That's as far as I have got but will change things dozens if times prior to commencement!!

All ideas and suggestions are welcome!!

I don't think goldfish would suit this. They get too big. What kind of temperature is the water with the sun exposure?

You can use pond plants for emergents, they don't need co2 in the water, they get it from the air. 

Thinking white clouds, danios etc then @FMuscle

Yet to do a thorough check of the existing pond liner, temp etc. That is the next step.

Edited by DemonCat

Yeah something like that, small sub-tropical species.

Something you could do for lights is get these waterproof LED strip people put on their headlamps and fit them out of sight under the rim...

• Like 1

Ok, so I went and did a final measure over the weekend - my rough measurements were a bit off!!! Its actually 31 ft!

Water volume wise (ie, measurements from the inside of the area) is as follows:
372 inch in length, 7 inch depth, 7 inch height. For all the metric people, that is 945cm x 17cm x 17cm.
The 'aquarium' then holds about 300 litres, or 80 gallon, give or take a few. 

The 'long' short side (western side) is 4 ft in length. This is where the filter will be. 
The 'main' side (north facing) is 24 ft in length. This is where the bulk of the plants and wood will be.
The 'short' short side (eastern side) is 3 ft in length. This is where the filter outlet will be. 

Therefore, I think I am looking at one filter that does around 2500 lph, plus a few extra airstones? I saw these options in Bunnings today - what do you guys think? 

http://www.bunnings.com.au/aquapro-w...-pump_p2820007
Aquapro pond pump.This with an added sponge pre filter for a total of about $100. Max flow is 3000 lph. It says not for indoor use... not sure what that exactly means?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/aquapro-p...-pump_p2810101
Aquapro pond and fountain pump. Would ditch the fountain bit I think. $130... unsure if a pre filter sponge can be added. Max 24000 lph. 

http://www.bunnings.com.au/aquapro-w...-pump_p2813431
Aquapro filterless pump.. $209. Will JUST fit with a cm to spare... eek.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/aquapro-3...ponge_p2813415
Pre sponge filter I might look to get. 

I also checked the current return line pipe condition and I can reuse it (yay!!) - there is about 28 ft worth of this. I will also purchase either an aquaone twin or four-way air pump for 2 or 4 airstones. That will be $40 to $80 depending if I get a twin or four-outlet air pump. 

Next I will need to look into some led lights to attach to the underside of the overhanging wood. Also, I have been told that they are happy for me to stock it with a mix of shrimp, white clouds, danios etc and similar nano fish. With the water being only 17cm in width, goldfish are out of the question. 

Plants will be a mixture of ferns, mosses, existing lillies and other water plants. Apart from the ferns, mosses and those attached to driftwood, the others will remain in pots. I will get a list of the existing plants and post them soon. I will also post a list of what I plan to add.

Any thoughts, ideas, critique is all welcome. I am currently undertaking a quick draft design which I will upload when its complete.

Finally, if anyone has any good ideas where I can get some fairly large pieces of driftwood that are long yet skinny, I would be forever in your debt. Might be tricky to find something thats fairly long, yet no wider than 15cm.... Hmm...

• 1 month later...

This will kick off soon. I was thinking maybe I will just get a canister filter - Will be easier regarding maintenance for my mum. 

That, plus a few air stones. Its more about the plants than stock anyway - Maybe a bunch of red cherries and some white clouds or hardy nano fish?

This is going to be really cool to see develop.

I have 40 odd Java fern ordered... Biggest issue is getting some driftwood!!

What's everyone's though of getting an eheim 2217 or the next step up? Place the inlet around one small side corner and run the outlet so it's at the opposite long end? Then a 3 pronged airatone bubbler strategically placed throughout?

On 24/02/2016 at 9:11 PM, DemonCat said:

eheim 2217

That's not going to be enough flow.

You need a pond pump, and maybe DIY a sump or canister.

Few photos - was up there again over the weekend. Found some driftwood I will be using - also snapped a photo of the existing Devils Ivy which has just exploded in size over the last few months. 

Purchasing led strip lights and some kind of pond pump over the next few weeks prior to rescaping in April. 

Also have 40 odd java ferns on order. It now turns out I have no say at all in plants (or stock) - my mum is picking everything. no doubt it will be eclectic mix, knowing her taste. 

I realise now I am really only 'in charge' of getting my hands wet and cleaning out the pond. 

Such is life.

IMG_20160227_172540.jpg

IMG_20160227_172621.jpg

IMG_20160227_172637.jpg

Edited by DemonCat
  • Like 1

True - I just really wanted to have free reign!! It will probably be overstocked with goldfish if she gets her own way.