Sign in to follow this  
revolutionhope

lighting advice

revolutionhope

Hi all,

I'm looking to get some feedback and opinions about what are suitable and importantly best value for money (think low-end) LED lights for 2 foot tanks. I potentially might have a few slightly larger tanks but for now I only have 2 foot tanks and one 2 1/2 foot.

I don't need anything intense for plant growth I just want to be able to grow moss, algae and biofilm effectively.

Showing shrimp at their best is not important for me either, Currently in my breeding tanks I'm using old T8 lights and a bit sick of them. I am very happy with the built-in LED lights on my cull tank in the lounge and that is only a cheap aqua-one eco? 20ish litre tank so obviously I'm not too fussy.

The key thing is I just want something more efficient that will be efficient and provide good coverage for my tanks.

love n peace

will

jc12

I think the Worx LEDs from our sponsors are pretty suitable for what you have described. They are relatively cheap and would do what you want i.e. grow moss, algae and biofilm.

As for efficient I think it depends if you are after a low energy LED light or a cheap value for money + good output light. I don't think Worx LEDs are necessary low energy lights but again it depends on what you are comparing them with.

Alternatively I would suggest 5050 or 5630 DIY strip LEDs.

• Like 1

revolutionhope

Cheers jc12, i have looked into the pet worx led now and i am surprised at the cost of them, i expected led lighting would have become much cheaper by now! I think I'm going to have to be patient until I have the time to put together the strip LED's :-) I was wondering if I could use one of the smaller led setups and fit it on to a larger tank but I guess it's not such a good idea.

From my quick research the overall cost is several times less than the cost of purchasing a built system. It will take a lot of time for me to do given my lack of practical ability but there are definitely lots of good how-tos on youtube and the experience and knowledge I'll gain will be great.

Thanks again :-)

love n peace

will

jc12

Another idea came to mind. Perhaps get T8 LED tubes and replace your current T8 normal tubes. I think you can get them from eBay but I don't know much about them to give you any other info. Cheers.

FMuscle

I saw those LED tubes at Bunning a while back, but if I recall correctly, they were only available in 4ft. If I see them in 6ft I might try them.

revolutionhope

ebay has them in 6 foot (and 2 foot) ive been reading up on them tonight and they have on average 30% better efficiency than old t8 fluro but of course it depends on which brand/model of fluro and led you are comparing. one obvious benefit is that fluros are omni directional and waste a lot of light which has to bounce off the reflector above

FMuscle

Still expensive, the cheapest one in stock (most 6ft are sold out) had to come from uk at around $60-70...

revolutionhope

bummer. guessing you already have a 6ft t8 fixture?

FMuscle

Yep, one came with the original tank, not sure of all the specs, but I know for sure it's a 6ft tube,

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Shr1mpie
      By Shr1mpie
      So, I am wanting to breed my Cherry Shrimp, and I have everything down packed apart from one thing, do they really need a light? So when doing research I usually read, but I decided to watch a video on breeding cherry shrimp, I had everything correct (apart from a heater, debatable), but it said you need a light, this is a problem, because I am planing on keeping Java Moss in the tank, but Java Moss doesn't like full light 24/7, so, the guy said that male shrimp need the light to see and identify the female shrimp to be able to breed, is this true?
      Any info will help a lot! Thanks!
    • jayc
      By jayc
      Creating your own DIY background.
      It's a combination of LED lights, and painted cardboard.
      Start with cardboard sheets, I purchased it from art supply shops or they can also be found in most $2 shops in the art supply section.
      You can choose white cardboard, but I chose sky blue, to simulate the sky.
      The cardboard, is trimmed to the sized of the tank. Join several pieces together if needed.
      It's then as simple as painting, or rather blotting white paint onto the blue cardboard.
      I used white watercolour blotted onto the cardboard for the cloud effect. I find watercolour gave the best cloud like effects.
      You'll notice it's not perfect, and it doesn't have to be perfect. That's the beauty of it.

The next is the lighting.
      It's just a simple LED strip of light placed at the back of the tank.

It's your preference in the type of LEDs you get, and how many strips you use. I used 5050 LEDs, and double strips for that extra brightness.

Now, it's just a matter of placing your cardboard at the back of the tank like so...

Notice, the LED lights are in between the board and tank.

Here's what it looks like with different coloured effects.
      Please excuse my DIY surface skimmer in these next shots. Yes, it ruins the look, but be assured, it's only temporary while the tank is cycling.
      After a bush fire...

Tropical waters ...

A simple white sheet of cardboard is also very effective.
      Here is an example of a plain white background with the LED lights, on a small section of the tank. I need to show you a better pic of the full tank with a white background and lights.

If you find the cardboard too thin and does not sit up straight, you can always glue it to a thick piece of board.
      Hope you enjoyed it!
      Told you it was simple. But then again the simple things are always the best.
    • ineke
      By ineke
      i have an Aqua one 980 with lighting built into the hood. I wanted to replace the hood and get an LED system but my tank measures 99 cm so it's an awkward size. I know there are lights available that cover 90-120 cm - can anyone recommend something- I mainly have mosses and Java fern so don't need plant strength lighting.  The other thing I wondered is there an adapter that would allow me to use my hood but with  LED tubes ? There are 3 tubes in the hood at least 2 different sizes - I need to pull it apart to check out the fluro sizes and haven't done that yet but 2 tubes died this week so perfect time to replace or upgrade.
    • GotCrabs
      By GotCrabs
      I'm looking into some lighting for an Aqua One Horizon 50, if anyone could help, please do, looking for opinions on lighting for this tank.
      Tank specs are 50cm x 29cm x 29cm, 50l.
      Cheers.

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Razzy
      Hi, I'm cycling a tank ATM and I'm using Dr Tim's ammonia, stability and I do have prime. But I was wondering if prime would stall the cycle since the bacteria need ammonia to feed and prime turns it into a.non toxic form?  My ammonia's been pretty high for the past week and I've been trying to do a partial water change to keep the levels down, not going down, no nitrites. But I did just start cycling it last week.
    • kms
      It wasn't intentional, I was just putting the new shrimps into the tank, the dead shrimp just fell into the tank. I just purchased another 10 crabs today to make it a total of 22, but the shop put a few more in the bag for me, I will be keeping about 10 crabs, the others are for two of my friends, there tanks isn't setup yet, as these crabs are hard to obtain in Hong Kong, the last time I saw them available was over 5 years ago.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I would imagine that the crabs will eat dead shrimps, even shrimps eat dead other shrimps, as they are both scavengers. Not sure that they would attack a live shrimp but it is probably best t keep a close eye on what happens before getting any more of either shrimps or crabs for that tank! Simon
    • Grubs
      I think the live shrimp will be fine.  The micro-crabs are delicate creatures taking advantage of a rotting corpse. I'm sure the crabs will enjoy the protein.  Ordinarily I avoid feeding dead livestock to other livestock to prevent transmission of disease or unknown parasites although I will say as a shrimpkeeper the temptation is strong. 😄
    • kms
      Yesterday I put a 3 new shrimps in the tank, and one dead shrimp that was DOA in the bag, nothing happened to the 3 shrimps, but the dead shrimp was swarmed by 3 crabs as food, would you presumed the live shrimps might get attacked soon or later.