Could it be?

Baccus

I spied this girl in my mixed native tank, and she doesn't seem to be DAS, certainly not DRN and I doubt she is even Chameleon or Blackmore River, so the only option left is Barney Springs Shrimp.

P1110262_zps8xdkinez.jpg

P1110263_zpslwuseave.jpg

P1110266_zpsjy9ux1ok.jpg

P1110268_zpsti448od6.jpg

For comparison I am sure this girl is either a Blackmore or possibly a Chameleon but my bet is Blackmore

P1110272_zpsgbk3rgov.jpg

P1110274_zps9aim1nrb.jpg

P1110276_zpsn5sxcib0.jpg

These shrimp I am sure are DAS, and once again they are quite different to the possibly Barney Springs Shrimp.

P1110292_zpsoz9grklu.jpg

The only other shrimp that I have put in this tank was some Zebras ages ago and I am sure none survived.

I would say Blackmore. It just doesn't 'look' right. For starters it has a rostrum that extends well forward of the eyes. Barneys rostrum barely reach past the eyes. Second the 'kink' in the tail. Third - barney and indeed zebs have the same shape/look as exotic bee shrimp. The above shrimp is too elongated. 

There are some good shots of the Barney shrimp in my barney shrimp biotope tank thread for a comparison. 

The rostrum in the suspected Barney Springs shrimp is a lot shorter than the Blackmore shrimps rostrum, it is also a much smaller shrimp than either the Blackmores or Chameleons. It could be an uncoloured Chameleon but it just doesn't seem quite right for being one of them either.

I also noticed that the Blackmores all have the white and black stripes on their backs (I photographed a few different ones all at the same time but only uploaded the pictures of one), where as the shrimp in question lacks these stripes.

Who knows maybe it means the ones with faint bands are chameleons and the other one is Blackmore.

Looking at your Barney Springs shrimp fishmosy they look  more like the Malanda shrimp with that pronounced hump in their carapace. Where as the Barney Springs Shrimp I collected never had such a hump, but they did seem to lack a rostrum.

My original Barney Springs shrimp, but it appears to have almost no rostrum

e98f7992-1513-409a-b794-55cce1cf6c1e_zps

P1020036_zps566a286c.jpg

The other shrimp in question seems to be quite different again.

I guess there could have been some cross breeding since they are all in the family caridina, and as they so eloquently put it in Jurassic Park - "Life will find a way" . I think I can safely rule her out as being Chameleon since she just doesn't seem slim enough in the body.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baccus said:

I guess there could have been some cross breeding since they are all in the family caridina.

I was about to say that when I saw your reply... 
You created a monster! lol

I would hope that I haven't created a monster, but at the same time I wonder if the tank conditions could change the shrimps structure somewhat. Colour can be affected so much in shrimp just by water chemistry, so I wonder how a different water chemistry that surviving offspring of the original shrimp might cause the offspring to be different to the adults in appearance. Shrimp I know can throw out mutations at an alarming rate simply because of their large genetic pool, which can make fine tuning say a colour morph hard to stick. Then you also have the whole issue of shrimp changing colours due to moods and whims.

In all honesty I suspect most people have looked primarily at the colour morph potential of shrimp when selective breeding rather than also looking at overall body shape and potentially for example extra long feelers or longer or shorter rostrum. All because generally its the colour morph that is the primary desired trait.

I know that its a long shot but a species kept in isolation from others of their own species will tend to strengthen any divergent mutations provided the mutations don't impede in the animal/ plants overall survival. So I guess I am hinting that because I had a limited number of Barney Springs shrimp and then a limited number of possible offspring, via natural selection (namely who genetically suited my tanks conditions), I now have a shrimp that is not obviously one species or another without having to kill and dissect the poor thing and then do hours of genetic sequencing to work out just what it is.

At least I know that the shrimp in my native shrimp tank are thriving, and I keep seeing more babies and berried females getting about the tank. And I will keep a close eye on the suspected Blackmore River shrimp with the faint black and white bands incase the banding improves and becomes more "zebra shrimp" like. Especially since I saw at least three females all at once with the same faint banding across their backs.