UV sterilizer placement

keego

I'm after some advice as I've just purchased an Aqua UV  advantage 8w sterilizer for my sump system of about 800 litrs. This is my first UV system.

I'm unsure where to position the it. 

a) On the return side of the chiller back to the sump. This has a 1500ltr/hr sump pump or

b) On the inlet/ line to the tanks. This has a 3000ltr/hr sump pump.

Thanks in advanced 

Generally speaking, a 8W UV system usually could only perform as a clarifier (to kill free floating algae) rather than a steriliser (to kill bacteria and parasites). It could potentially be a steriliser if the flow rate is slow enough for a small aquarium system, but for your 800L sump system, you would need a much higher wattage to match the effective turn over rate for your 800L system to be adequate as a steriliser.

I have provided a link here (scroll down to the 2nd table) but this is only a generic guide. There are other recommendations for Wattage vs Flow Rate vs Water Volume but this gives you an idea what I mean. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?articleid=435

Having said this, the flow rate is important for the UV system to perform effectively as intended so I would suggest a modified option (b). That is to tee off from the sump pump with a valve to control flow rate through the UV system, and return to the tank.

I would not recommend option (a) because (1) you do not want to restrict the flow from your chiller as this would decrease the chiller's efficiency and effectiveness, and (2) if the water returns back to sump, you would be 're-sterilising' part of the same water that has just been pumped from the sump.

Sorry for the lengthy reply and hope this makes sense and helps in some way.

Edited by jc12

Thanks @jc12  for your informative reply. Wished I had read it before. Not all is loosed, as I'm planning to building a small tiger rack in the new year and will add it to that

I have attached the link from the manufacture of the unit I purchased, to which I cant make sence of terms of required water flow.

http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/products/uvsterilizers/advantage/8watt

Cheers

Tiger tank would be cool! A new year ushers in new projects! Yay! :)

I had a quick flick through their website. The specs for your UV system seems quite superior to the ones we usually find on the market, in terms of wattage vs flow rate vs water volume.

It would either be a very well designed premium product or a product with slightly exaggerated specs. E.g. most UV tubes are recommended to be replaced every 6 months of continuous use but the UV lamp from this manufacturer has a life cycle of 14 months (continuous use).

I am keen to know how it performs for you. The manufacturer seems confident about their product and made direct comparison and calling out on their competitor's product. http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/support/justthefacts

Perhaps someone else could share their view on UV and this product?

Tiger tank, cant wait :}

AOA is where I brought the UV system from, and they are normally on the money. I did buy it on the stated specs' on their website.

So from what I understand from the manufacturers specs on uses as a sterilizer has a minimum flow rate of 214gph or 810L/ph to a maximum of 642gph or 2430L/ph.. I do know what the µw/cm2 (EOL) is referenced to

30,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) 642 gph 75,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) 256 gph
45,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) 428 gph 90,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) 214 gph
60,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) 321 gph  

So from the little I know on UV sterilizers, if I keep the water flow rate within the maximum & minimum. I shouldn't cause any harm??. 

As far as the replacement of the Tube, is there a way of knowing when the tube stuffed or do I follow the manufacturing advice??

Thanks again @jc12 for your input, it is most welcomed.

Over the past 2 days, I've  measured the flow rate into all tanks individually.

Day 1. 336L/ph

Day 2. 672l/ph.

I have increased the flow rate as high as it can go to reach 672L/ph. I am still below the recommended minimum flow rate of 810L/ph.  From what I understand operating the UV below the minimum flow rate can cause more harm the good if run 24/7.

So, do people run their UV sterilizers 24/7 or turn them off a few days per week? Any suggestions