Anyone use or used side drop filtration tanks

OzShrimp

I was perusing around the web and came across someone selling some tanks with side drop filters in the tank and it struck my interest as a possible option to avoid having a bigger setup on a sump.

Unfortunately as it was a for sale thread it didnt show the filter part of the tank in detail so i am eager to learn a bit more about them and how exactly they are setup to work.

heres the photo obviously its from another forum but so those can get an idea that arent sure what i am talkin about.

attachment.php?attachmentid=66522&d=1439

• Like 1

SO been researching this some more and it seems these are air driven but no luck yet finding a diagram or anything to explain it better yet

Is it similar to a sump that is built in to the inside of a tank? Rather than a separate tank for a sump.

Basically it is similar to a sump but there is only a small gap between the two front pains of glass then the water is air driven up through the media and what not and back into the tank

heres another photo hopefully this one will load

20121106_205441re_zps7bbc5f63.jpg

another persons without media added

DSC00684_zpsxb4nc8ny.jpg

I watched one of Joeys when i was googling for info and his is similar yeah but runs on a powerhead from memory. 

I have read of people running numerous tanks on just air pumps.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great videos, the hamburgmatten filter was a favorite amongst European breeders a few years ago. Very simpl and effective for many tank sizes.

My new project has me thinking about that back parcel sump style. Going to be a 5 ft shrimp display tank with a sump below. I'm thinking of having the sump as divided breeding area combined with equipment storage to keep the tank above nice and neat. Perspex keeps the cost down and easy to DIY but would there be any negatives to using it?

My new project has me thinking about that back parcel sump style. Going to be a 5 ft shrimp display tank with a sump below. I'm thinking of having the sump as divided breeding area combined with equipment storage to keep the tank above nice and neat. Perspex keeps the cost down and easy to DIY but would there be any negatives to using it?

Pardon my ignorance. What is a back parcel sump? Is it those sumps that is integrated behind the tank?

When you said having the sump as a divided breeding area, do you mean something like a refugium?

Interesting idea. Would be keen to hear more about it.

Pardon my ignorance. What is a back parcel sump? Is it those sumps that is integrated behind the tank?

When you said having the sump as a divided breeding area, do you mean something like a refugium?

Interesting idea. Would be keen to hear more about it.

Watch the first video above for the back parcel demo.

Yeah imagine a 1200 long sump with the first section as Inlet (300ish) for media/biohouse

then 3 (200-250 ish wide sections as partitions for different shrimp.

Then the last bay as heater, return pump, uv sterilizer, co2 (if required) and I'd also run a separate canister filter (2213/5 or similar) in and out of the sump for maintanence/redundancy & chiller connection.

Maybe I could go 6 200 wide bays but depends on fitment of components/media etc.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I ended up contacting Joey to see if he would do a video on side drop filters to explain how to make t hem simple. He actually replied which was good so it will remain to be seen if he does one.

Given with not a great deal of new ideas would be good

I ended up contacting Joey to see if he would do a video on side drop filters to explain how to make t hem simple. He actually replied which was good so it will remain to be seen if he does one.

Given with not a great deal of new ideas would be good

Haha maybe he can make one on back parcel sump and rack from display tank just for me.