Transferring shrimplets to another tank

doctr-dan

Really depends on several factors, but always best to avoid. If the tank is well established (amble biofilm), stable WP, similar WP (Ph & TDS), and the transition isn't stressful (i.e. dont just net it out and transfer them), but place a container in the tank, net the shrimplets slowly into the container (whilst in the water), then do the transfer...it should all theoritically be OK, but again, best to avoid it. Week old shrimplets would not have established all their immunity yet, so any sudden changes will affect them. Do expect some losses though..

Agree with BB. Shrimplets are sensitive as they moult often. I would leave them in the current tank until they get past 6-8 weeks old at least. Survival rates will be even lower if you do changes too much.

I heard from one of the top CRS breeders that they actually found it easier to move the shrimp within a day of hatching than in the month or so after this.

It seems that when they are newly hatched they are less sensitive to change in parameters.

I heard from one of the top CRS breeders that they actually found it easier to move the shrimp within a day of hatching than in the month or so after this.

It seems that when they are newly hatched they are less sensitive to change in parameters.

Maybe Doc can tell us :)

I've found even water changes over 10-15% can make Shrimplets numbers dwindle.

I'd imagine changing tanks would be similar, I mean the more similar and stable the two tanks are the better but it's still a change. That on top of stress.

With that being said I'm taking comparisons of water changes and tank changes obviously. I've never personally put shrimplets into new tanks so I couldn't tell you from experience.

Just wanted to throw in my 2c ;)

if the new tank which you are shifting the shrimplets are stable/matured with no issues.. there should not be a problem... i have siphon shrimplets of less then a week into another tank of a totally different filtration and they are able to survive... (dont try this at home unless you are confident and not worry of casualty)

but i dont think you should try that and just let them grow a little bit bigger before doing that.. my rough gauge of a stable juvenile will be at about 0.5cm size.. once my KK, BB, WR have reached that size, they are considered very stable and I will start to do selection on their patterns...

Yeah! what they said! I'd go for the day old technique and go from there cause they're the easiest to syphon... saying this I have had no problems with cherrys... lol.

Just try out and see how strong the shrimplets are. Doing this will probably test the over all health of the colony and your systems.

f4f