Chiller for 120L+2213 filter

Steve

Hi all,

Currently i am having my 60x45x45 tank running with 2213 filter but temp has reached 28-29C during this summer in Sydney.

What is the best value for money option i can get to drop the temp down to 24C so i can keep my crs. I was looking into the chiller (Hailea or Resun) but there are mixed review so i coulnt make up a decision yet. And i am worried that the 2213 flow rate is not strong enough.

And where to buy them and how about the warranty if something is to happen to the chiller.

• HOF Member

Apparently the 2213 can work well with a resun650. One of our members recently was telling me that was what he uses on his 3 ft tank. I did a bit of research and ended up getting the resun 650 for my 210 litre tank . We have sponsors here that sell chillers so we can't give you any external links of where else you can buy chillers but you do get a discount for being a member if you use our sponsors. Most of the chillers are now all made in China anyway.

I have been keeping my 210 litre cool with 4 computer fans linked to a temperature controller. The tank is in the house but we only have evaporative cooling for the house aircon - except in my shrimp room they have refrigerated aircon but the 210 is in another room-  however the fans have kept the water below 24 even with the 44 c temp that we have had here in Adelaide this week . I haven't connected the chiller yet as I'm waiting for some taps to come so can't say how much better a chiller is but I'm sure it will be worth it once it's finally connected.

• Like 2

It gets quite hot in WA as well, wouldn't be able to do it without a chiller. Been using resun for years and been working good. Using it with a 2215 equivalent

• HOF Member

I have been using the fans for 3 years now for my CRS tank and really haven't had an issue with the shrimp. I have shown the huge colony I had in the tank on another thread. The only reason I'm changing over is the fans look untidy during the summer. This last week here in Adelaide we have had 4 days over 40 degrees and the tank never went over 24 so it is possible to use fans on bigger tanks. I don't think I would recommend them on small tanks as the volume of water isn't big enough to stop large swings in temp but the larger tanks remain much more stable.

• Like 1

Its regularly 40s here with the odd close to 50 in summer on rare occasion :'( 

I have got a large Hailea chiller only to cover the day i have a rack 

Both Hailea and Resun are of similar quality. It won't be much difference between the two.

If you are worried about the reduced flow on your 2213, you can buy the impeller for a 2215 and use that in your 2213 for an extra boost. Yes, it fits. 

<edit> - @Steve, just wanted to add more to the above.

Chillers are big bulky items, it might be wise to look for a local Sydney LFS that might sell them. Check how that seller handles repairs or warranty issues while you are at it.

Between Hailea and Resun, I find Hailea better supported with spare parts, so that would be my pick. For a 120L, a Hailea 150A would be enough.

TECO chillers are a level up quality wise, as well as price $$.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

I currently have both a Hailea and a Resun running different tanks and both are cooling the tanks well.

The only difference between them is that Hailea kicks in when temperature hits 1 degree Celsius above the set temperature while Resun kicks in at 2 degree Celsius above set temperature.

All things being equal, Hailea kicks in more often but takes less time to cool the tank down 1 degree Celsius to the set temperature while Resun kicks in less often but takes a longer time to cool 2 degree Celsius to the set temperature.

Overall, Hailea tank temperature fluctuates 1 degree Celcius while Resun tank fluctuates 2 degree Celsius.

Hope this all makes sense. :)

• Like 2

Thanks for all your help guys.

I will look for the Hailea chiller now. Even my rcs cant stand the heat here as some of them died.

Another question about the heater is that what temp i should set it at when i am running with the chiller.

Just to add my 2 cents.

I purchased my Hailea from the tech dens. Usually they don't have it on their website but if you call or email them they can get one for you. Its all under warranty and their prices are very competitive plus you get a 10% when you mention you are a SKF member. On top of this there is $7.50 flat rate postage.

As for the temperature you want to have your heater and chiller. You need to take into account when they kick in and turn off. As someone mentioned earlier the hailea will start at 1 degree higher then the temperature you pick. for example if you want your tank to be 23 the hailea will start cooling at 24.

I have a heater that starts when then temperature hits the number you put and heats up by 1 degree. At first I did not know this and I had it at 23 so my heater and chiller was constantly turning each other one for about a week. so now I have it as 21. haha

i got mine from blacktown pet and produce, could ask for best price if you pay cash being summer most places might be less likely to give you a bit of a deal cause they all know how important they are

22 minutes ago, Steve said:

Another question about the heater is that what temp i should set it at when i am running with the chiller.

I set my heater for 22degC (or maybe it's 21). While my Chiller is set to 23. 

So anything below 21 and the heater kicks in. Anything above 24 and the chiller kicks in.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • HOF Member

I finally set my chiller up and decided to use my eheim 2213 on the Resun 650 for my 210 litre tank. This has left my big canister as a stand alone in the tank . The eheim is having no trouble pushing the water through the chiller. I have it set at 22 but it doesn't switch on until the tank reaches 24 - someone mentioned there was a 2 degree swing with the Resun so I was prepared for that. It takes the chiller approximately an hour to bring the water down to 22  and even in the really hot weather we are having here in Adelaide -  38/39 the last few days and over 35 for the last week or so- the chiller only comes on 3-4 times a day. I would be happier if the swing wasn't quite so big but I don't think I can do much about that .  I don't know how long it takes the other brands to bring the temp down but 210 litres is a lot of water so I think it's ok.

• Like 2