DemonCat and his Tank

DemonCat

1 hour ago, DemonCat said:

Hi Disciple, what are your concerns? 

Having researched them, I was under the impression that they were hardier than neons so thats why I decided to go for them. 

Sorry I was not clear with what I meant. Jayc first point was what I was getting at.

Saying this it is your tank and you are free to have shrimp and fish. We just want to let you know what could potentially happen.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Disciple said:

Sorry I was not clear with what I meant. Jayc first point was what I was getting at.

Saying this it is your tank and you are free to have shrimp and fish. We just want to let you know what could potentially happen.

Oh of course. 

I have White Clouds as it is and am well aware that shrimplettes may well be on the menu. That is one particular reason why I went for Red Cherries in the first instance as I wanted a mixture of fish and shrimp in a planted tank, and did not want to risk exotic/expensive shrimp. 

As it is the shrimp zoom happily with the white clouds, who I was under the impression are about the sime size as cardinal tetras. But I may re-think the cardinals and go for the neons just due to the fact that are a little smaller. 

59 minutes ago, jayc said:

2) Cardinals and Shrimp prefer different (optimal) temperatures.

Cardinals like around 27-28deg C. While shrimps like a chilly 22-23deg C. 

One or the other will not be thriving. They might survive, but they won't be in the optimum environment.

In fact, Neons would fit better here with shrimps. Neons, being from further up the river, prefer the cooler water temps. Neons are smaller, and less likely to attack shrimp. Shrimplets are still fair game. 

Fair point - I did see the water temp differences and also noted that white clouds will prefer the water much closer to 22 (neons) than high temps (cardinals).

My main aim is to keep everyone happy where possible. I always want to be well understocked than overstocked for starters, and the same goes for water temp, having a decent amount for a school etc etc

----------

Neons it is! Does anyone have experience with both - what does it mean when I read that cardinals are hardier? Does this mean cardinals are more like white clouds in terms of hardiness, and neons are a slight step up?

Edited by DemonCat

2 hours ago, DemonCat said:

what does it mean when I read that cardinals are hardier?

Just means Cardinals are not as prone to diseases as Neons are.

But personally, I think that's not a very accurate statement.

Many people keep Neons with warmth loving tropical fish, not knowing that they actually prefer the cooler temps.

Keep any fish outside of their ideal parameters and they will start getting sick, catch diseases easier, due to lower immunity.

• Like 1

Stage 1 of re-scape complete!

Tank has been given a little bit of love, upgraded to the eheim 2217, rearranged everything. I am pretty happy with the outcome. Tank looks so much bigger without the internal filter! Eheim canister is so much quieter than the fluval internal. Will never go back. 

Photo taken a few minutes after everything was done and am hoping the cloudiness goes away for the coming days. I think the scape is much improved, and a testament to all the help I have got from you all here, and the ideas from looking at your scapes!!

2irn9tj.jpg

3589m38.jpg

osh6hl.jpg

Stage 2 (soon) will be adding native vals, c.balansae or something similar to the right hand side of the tank. 

Stage 3 (after a holiday in March) will see 10 neons and 3 ottos added. 

Stage 4 - maybe christmas - a new light. If I can control algae issues in a low tech, I reckon I will get a better light to help improve growth!

Edited by DemonCat
  • Like 1

24 hours late and it has cleared up pretty well! External filters are my new best frient.

Cannot wait to get vals to the right of the driftwood. Looking for something else to add between the driftwood in the middle, or to the left of the HM in the front left corner. Maybe I will try s.repens again. 

Two things I want to happen:
1) I want the blyxa to pick up now that the sunset hygro isnt shadowing it. 
2) The HM carpets a little bit more extensively. 

I guess I need to learn to stop playing around and give it a solid amount of time to grow into itself. I also need to upgrade my light. Might solve a heap of my issues. I didn't realise I had lost 4 big healthy blyxa's on top of about 10 stems of S.repens I was gifted.

34qtg82.jpg

Edited by DemonCat
  • Like 2

Nice job it looks excellent. Looking forward to longer plants on RHS to hide equipment. How are the fish / shrimp liking it? Nothing like a rescape to add reinvest your interest in a tank.

26 minutes ago, Unagi42 said:

Nice job it looks excellent. Looking forward to longer plants on RHS to hide equipment. How are the fish / shrimp liking it? Nothing like a rescape to add reinvest your interest in a tank.

Its much less dense than the last one so the shrimp are a little hesitant but all are doing fine so far!

My colleague brought in Vals for me today. Cannot WAIT to get home to plant them. Yeeeaaaawwwwww! So very excited!

No idea what type though. Through the bucket the leaves look quite thin. 

Edited by DemonCat

Beautiful!

I like that driftwood. It's such a focal point of the tank.

But, you gotta do something about that sock over the filter intake! :brzzzzz:

4 minutes ago, jayc said:

Beautiful!

I know, I know. Rearranged a little bit to hide it a bit more, but its still pretty visible. I will post a photo or two tonight after planting the vals (well, look like vals).

Edited by DemonCat

I have added the vals to the tank and I I think the tank is really starting to take shape. I still need something bulky to sit behind the driftwood just to the right of the Vals... maybe they will send out runners that way.. or I could add another established narrow java fern, or maybe some crypts!

IMG_20160223_201800_2.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/22/2016 at 4:46 PM, jayc said:

Beautiful!

What do you recommend to get rid of it? It has already turned brown and I am sick of looking at it. 

Is there a sponge attachment out there? I searched but could not find one on the eheim website. 

Or just hide it with more scaping? 

I need something on it though to stop the shrimps going on a deathly adventure..,.. and you all have your tanks looking so nice I never know how you do it!

Try searching for either a stainless steel mesh strainer from our sponsors or a sponge pre-filter for the intake.

Of if you are handy, a DIY job? See here:

Edited by jc12
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, jc12 said:

Try searching for either a stainless steel mesh strainer from our sponsors or a sponge pre-filter for the intake.

Of if you are handy, a DIY job? See here:

Ahhhh! I was searching for the wrong terminology. Pre-filter intake gets me what I want!!!! Thanks jc!!

• Like 1

Support our sponsors. Check out Newbreed's site.Techden and Aquakitz have them too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jayc said:

Support our sponsors. Check out Newbreed's site.Techden and Aquakitz have them too.

I will have a look and see. Had a quick look and there seems to be heaps of sponge filters rather than just the pre-filter sponge. Will have a proper look over the weekend :)

EDIT - Gosh I am slow. I can just buy a normal filter block/square and make it fit. Gee you can tell I am new to this aquarium stuff. 

Wont the pre-filter sponge reduce the flow to the canister? I guess it will need a weekly rinse when I do a water change.

Edited by DemonCat

• 2 weeks later...

I have some new plants - chain swords, crypts and amazon swords. Fully planted now - I don't think I want to add too much more. I would rather watch it grow and develop. 

I go on a holiday in a week for 3 weeks, and when I return I will be adding 10 neons and 3 Oto :) New light from MML ordered too which should arrive in the next few days.

IMG_20160305_195623.jpg

IMG_20160305_195631.jpg

IMG_20160305_195645.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It has been a few months since an update, so here it is! 12 neons added, 11 survived. Lost two white clouds too, so down to 5 or 6. 2 Oto's added - surviving well after a month. Shrimp keep on shrimping. 

Plants are all going well as far as I can tell. When comparing to the other recent pictures, the tank has filled out a bit. 

IMG_20160508_214015.jpg

IMG_20160508_214036.jpg

IMG_20160508_214041.jpg

IMG_20160508_214044.jpg

Edited by DemonCat
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Update!

First proper clean out of my canister and changed the fine wool filter - I hadn't realised how much 'oomph' the filter had lost till I plugged it back in after the clean - the fish thought it was a roller coaster whirlpool.

All in all, everyone is happy. The oto's both survived, back up to about 60 shrimp I can count at any one moment, and all fish are happy. 

After fighting algae and losing since upgrading my light, I am back on top of it... took me about a month or two but I found the sweet spot. For the first time, I have actively seen a heap of pearling!!! I found that extremely exciting :)

• Like 1

That's awesome to hear @DemonCat.

Good to hear the otto's made it too. They can be frustrating at times.

Throw up some photos when you get a chance! I love seeing photos of tanks and would be awesome to see how the plants are progressing on this one ?

• Like 1

You got a really nice lookin tank. Would love to see some more photos of your inhabitants

• Like 1

Great looking tank :)

Can't wait to set up my big tank. Still at least a month before I get it though :(

Are you using co2? I'm thinking yes from the pearling comment. Does it bother the shrimp?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1