A non shrimp field trip

Baccus

I LOVE :love: natures natural Christmas lights, well that's what they remind me of with their bright flashing backsides and twinkling away light lime green fairy lights. If you haven't guessed I am talking about Fireflies. I adore seeing fireflies and get a real kick out of watching them actually flying and flashing,(they are surprisingly fast little flyers too) and thankfully we are now back into firefly season, so I have been able to go to a couple of local places I know where these living gems can be found.

My sister used to tell me that there where fireflies in Ross Creek at Yeppoon, but that's a little far away for a quick Friday evening field trip. I know for a fact that they can be found along the Fitzroy river, but alas almost all the places you can get to are either to well lit by houses and street lights or just inaccessible. So instead one of the best places we have found that is not too far to travel is Mt Archer. Because Mt Archer is a Tourist lookout it has lights up there and now after cyclone Marcia has a lot more glow lighting it up from the city below. BUT fireflies can still be found there :happy: and if you go a short way from the lights and just stand still watching in the shadows you will see the fireflies flashing, provided you also stay out of any strong winds.

So without further ado, here's some photos of the result of my night time field trip.

P1110121_zpsivqrrouk.jpg

P1110117_zpsmcttpqzi.jpg

P1110183_zpsvb6sqm8q.jpg

P1110190_zpszgfveyix.jpg

P1110190_zpsarpvqdwi.jpg

• Like 3

I could literally watch these guys for hours, they are like a lava lamp meets nature

th_VIDEO0044_zpszslnqu8o.mp4 click on the picture and it should open the video

Edited by Baccus
added instruction