My big tank. The coffin - shrimp house.

FMuscle

The embedded video is back on. After further review, Youtube found it doesn't violate their terms of use. No kidding... 

@Disciple, I haven't found a cause. Everything looked normal. The tank is empty of water now, my sand is ruined, I need to remove it and clean the gravel and soil... Not looking forward to that honestly.

No more sand. Keeping the same layout, but the sand section with "islands" will be Stratum substrate instead. I will clean the gravel and re-do the "river" from the cliff to the back, with a similar plant layout in the back hiding the plumbing, and clear in the front except for a few random baby tears instead of the "islands". 
South of the river (front) will see a carpet of Monte Carlo from the Lilies to the cave, and I will let it go as far as it will inside the cave without light. I will also take the opportunity to move the tank and fit a black vinyl wrap behind the cave section to increase the darkness.
North of the river (back) will get a carpet of hairgrass surrounding most of the planting, maybe with blyxa stems here and there if it survives until then. Ambulia to hide the return and going by size up the hill. 

I was so bummed, the tank was done and running, all that was left was finishing the hairgrass planting on the hill.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That was the most exciting video I have seen this year!

• Like 1

Thanks @Disciple, I was thinking of a career change...

I did have some picture I didn't post because my computer was acting up. Here they are plus one from today.

IMG_7595.jpg
IMG_7598.jpg
IMG_7601.jpg
IMG_7604.jpg
IMG_7606.jpg

As you can see, today's pic shows a cloudy tank. Which is normal since I just started the pump. What wasn't normal the first time around is the there was no cloudiness at all for a week of running.

It's already blowing up hahaha.
It's all substrate now, no sand or gravel to be ruined, so I'll just let it settle for a while before adding animals.

I'll just brush off the dirt off the rocks and wood once it's settled.

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't settling after a week, re-drained and refilling now. Not before I did a remodel of my room though, Moved everything, 3ft on dresser (Stand up for grabs), the coffin under the window where the 3ft was, the hex moving to the other side of the desk... Gained so much space with the new layout... 
Bad side is I need to redo the drain from scratch.

but it's getting there.Starting new job soon, will need to buy more substrate to top up the now too thin layer. Also found a 2ft glass tank to use as sump.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, it has. The Coffin is running. It has the remaining two ember tetras and my nine best cherries, mixed sexes all at least sakura grade. I need to add more substrate and plants. I plan to build up the hill on the right and put a water lily in front of the other lilies, add some anubias and more ambulias between the existing ones and the return pipe. Some baby tears and/or crypts on top of the cave and let the monte carlo carpet grow. I also need to put the skulls back in (mwuhaha). Once the planting is done, the occupants of the 3ft will joint the Coffin community, as they are shy and like to hide within thick planting. 

IMG_7755.jpg
IMG_7744.jpg
IMG_7746.jpg
IMG_7751.jpg
IMG_7747.jpg
IMG_7735.jpg
In case you'd be wondering, Trichogaster Chuna, Honey Gourami, 1M2F.

They don't... They're not together yet. But being the smallest and best behaved Gourami species with a teeny tiny mouth and the lots and lots of cover I will have, I'm not too worried. I will let the colony grow from the current 10 (I added one more this morning) to a decent quantity anyways.

Looking good man.

I like how it has turned out, I am glad you have it all running again.

• 2 months later...

Tank is still running well, added some crypts, a melon sword and some foxtail. I have a melting water poppy, my Monte Carlo carpet doesn't seem to grow. I believe my cheap ebay lamps are to blame, I want to add grow lamps over the tank for a few hours a day while I'm at work to help the plants flourish. 

Tank wise, I want to redo the bottom part, do a better, easier to maintain, sump out of glass and acrylic, and redo the aquaponics setup so it's not as soaked as it is now, my basil is not liking the flood.

And last but not least, the Cherries. Now sole inhabitants of the Coffin, they are happy, it's a real orgy in there. Shrimplets everywhere, just look at an empty space in the tank and you'll spot a baby or 10 blending with the substrate. Adults are saddled and berried.

Here's a small photo dump. not in any order...

IMG_7921.jpg
IMG_7927.jpg
IMG_7959.jpg
IMG_7970.jpg

I also setup my 3ft outside, it's now my cull tank, with White Clouds, Guppies and my Gouramis & Tetras.

IMG_7950.jpg
IMG_7953.jpg
Untitle.png

I reserve my Hex for the most wanted, OEBT. I want them, and now I'm ready for them.

Edited by FMuscle
  • Like 2

hey, long time!

tank looks great, i like the lights and the blue effect they put on it also

I've been around, mostly posting a few pics here and there on the FB group...

I like them lights too, perfect for a living area / bedroom (shared house joy), as they're not too bright to be annoying. But as I said, probably too weak for growth.. I shall update the lighting soon(ish).

But for now I'm expecting a delivery tomorrow. New car! Can't wait, counting minutes lol.

3 hours ago, KeenShrimp said:

Is that amazing plant in the centre with the purple edging the melon sword? It is quite breathtaking @FMuscle

If you talk about my outdoor setup, It's all fake... :P I have anubias and foxtail now, since the pic, but the rest is fake.

4 hours ago, perplex said:

what are the lights called?

No name, just cheap chinese lights. Like these.

P.S. That new car has arrived! ;)
IMG_7977.jpg

• Like 2