NoGi

Benibachi Planaria Zero safe with Sulas?

NoGi

Anyone here tried Benibachi Planaria Zero in their Sula tanks?

jayc

Gotta wait for me to get a pair of Sula first. 

• Like 2

NoGi

Just to update this, looks like using at half dosage was OK. Haven't seen anyone do full dosage yet.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• NoGi
      By NoGi
      Planaria is a species of flatworm from the Turbellaria class and is the name for a member of the genus Planaria that is a part of the family Planariidae. It also often refers to the genus Dugesia.
      These free-living flatworms have three layers of tissues including an ectoderm, a mesoderm and an endoderm. These three layers of tissues are classified into both organs and organ systems, making flatworms the simplest animals that feature mesoderrmic layers and organ-system levels. It should be noted that flatworms do not have a body cavity, therefore they are acoelomates.
      The majority of planarians are freshwater worms that inhabit ponds and streams. However, there are terrestrial and marine species of flatworms, too. Unfortunately for those who have aquariums may find that their aquarium has been plagued by planera, and they can be really problematic.
      How Planaria Invade Aquariums
      Planaria are a common pest in freshwater aquariums. In freshwater aquariums that house shrimp, planaria often develop as a result of overfeeding. In freshwater aquariums that house other species of fish, they can develop as a result of dirty substrate. When there is either too much uneaten food in an aquarium, or the substrate in the aquarium is not kept clean, the ideal environment for these pests is created. Planaria thrive in these environments, as they consume small shrimps and fish fry.
      Are Planaria Dangerous to Fish?
      Planaria will not put the fish in an infested aquarium in danger; however, they are very unsightly and can detract from the beauty of a tank. They also are a tell-tale sign of poor tank hygiene and maintenance. If the population of planaria grows to large levels, there is a chance that they could impact the health of the fish that live in the aquarium.
      How to Treat a Planaria Infestation
      The best way to treat a planaria infestation is avoiding one in the first place. How can you do that? - By not overfeeding your fish and/or shrimp, and by making sure that you properly clean the tank on a regular basis. When cleaning the tank, it is important to clean all surfaces, including the substrate, in order to prevent these pests from developing.
      If an infestation of planaria does occur, there are several treatments available. Some of the most common treatment options include:
      Treating the tank with a shrimp friendly chemical dewormer Thoroughly vacuuming the substrate in the tank and performing a 30 to 50 percent partial water change. Minimize the amount of food being placed in the tank and performing water changes weekly while stirring the substrate. Partially changing the water on a constant basis when the tank is overcrowded. Using planaria traps The following article also provides some treatment advice: 

• NoGi
      By NoGi
      Planaria is a species of flatworm from the Turbellaria class and is the name for a member of the genus Planaria that is a part of the family Planariidae. It also often refers to the genus Dugesia.
      These free-living flatworms have three layers of tissues including an ectoderm, a mesoderm and an endoderm. These three layers of tissues are classified into both organs and organ systems, making flatworms the simplest animals that feature mesoderrmic layers and organ-system levels. It should be noted that flatworms do not have a body cavity, therefore they are acoelomates.
      The majority of planarians are freshwater worms that inhabit ponds and streams. However, there are terrestrial and marine species of flatworms, too. Unfortunately for those who have aquariums may find that their aquarium has been plagued by planera, and they can be really problematic.
      How Planaria Invade Aquariums
      Planaria are a common pest in freshwater aquariums. In freshwater aquariums that house shrimp, planaria often develop as a result of overfeeding. In freshwater aquariums that house other species of fish, they can develop as a result of dirty substrate. When there is either too much uneaten food in an aquarium, or the substrate in the aquarium is not kept clean, the ideal environment for these pests is created. Planaria thrive in these environments, as they consume small shrimps and fish fry.
      Are Planaria Dangerous to Fish?
      Planaria will not put the fish in an infested aquarium in danger; however, they are very unsightly and can detract from the beauty of a tank. They also are a tell-tale sign of poor tank hygiene and maintenance. If the population of planaria grows to large levels, there is a chance that they could impact the health of the fish that live in the aquarium.
      How to Treat a Planaria Infestation
      The best way to treat a planaria infestation is avoiding one in the first place. How can you do that? - By not overfeeding your fish and/or shrimp, and by making sure that you properly clean the tank on a regular basis. When cleaning the tank, it is important to clean all surfaces, including the substrate, in order to prevent these pests from developing.
      If an infestation of planaria does occur, there are several treatments available. Some of the most common treatment options include:
      Treating the tank with a shrimp friendly chemical dewormer Thoroughly vacuuming the substrate in the tank and performing a 30 to 50 percent partial water change. Minimize the amount of food being placed in the tank and performing water changes weekly while stirring the substrate. Partially changing the water on a constant basis when the tank is overcrowded. Using planaria traps The following article also provides some treatment advice: 

View full article
    • NoGi
      By NoGi
    • NoGi
    • gtippitt
      By gtippitt
      After getting a magnifying glass to try to count baby shrimps, I was also able to see some other little things swimming, some of which I'm not happy about.  Many were too small for me to identify what they were other than tiny jumping specks.  When I bought the plants for my new tank for the shrimp, I dipped and rinsed them well in salt water.  Despite this, I still find a few tiny snails each day, which I suck up with a airline hose attached to a small wooden dowel rod.  When I was looking really closely today with the glass, I saw 2 small Planaria as well, which I removed with my "Snail Vac."  Many of the tiny things that I cannot confirm as RCS, are probably daphnia, cyclops, etc.
      I was super excited to see the 12 specks, I could definitely confirm were RCS babies, but very unhappy about the Planaria, which I've read can be a bad for baby shrimps.  I did some reading and most people said that "No Planaria" from Genchem is safe for RCS and might also rid me of my pesky pond snails.  A few Amazon reviewers of the product said that all of their shrimp died after using it.  If I can only see a few and remove them, is the "cure worse than the disease"?
      I'm only feeding the 20 adult shrimp 2 small pellets per day, which they eat within an hour before resuming their grazing on the tank's algae covered back.  I'm not overfeeding.  Ammonia, nitrates, and phosphates are all below detectable limits.  There is a thin film of algae and diatoms on the tank's back, which I don't clean and leave for the shrimp to graze upon.  The tank has been running for 3 months, with little debris on its sand substrate, except shrimp poo and a few dropped leaves from floating hornwort.  
      I always take online complaints with some scepticism so I wanted the advice of you guys with RCS experience.
      For an example of pointless complaints that should be ignored, I recently saw on YouTube where a lady was ranting that "Pothos DESTROYED my aquarium!".  I don't remember what I was looking for at the time, but the title of her video caught my eye.  Years ago I had a 200 gallon tank with 4 large Comet Goldfish.  After 15 years, the Pothos that I grew from the tank had covered an entire wall of my den. I had hung a 12 foot seine net on the wall behind the tank as decoration, and the vine eventually climbed and completely covered it.  When I saw her video's title, I had a vision of something similar that might have fallen and broken a tank.
      This lady was apparently very fond of the black hair algae that had been growing in her tank of monster fish.  After putting a handful of Pothos vine in her HOB filter, the algae all melted away.   For several decades I've recommended to new fish keepers to keep a Pothos vine hanging over the edge of their tank.  Even for people that can't keep underwater live plants or don't want the hassle, the roots of a Pothos vine in the tank's water will suck up ammonia, nitrates, and phosphates like a Hoover.  I'm not sure why this lady on YouTube had put the vine in her tank, since the normal purpose of doing so is to starve algae of the nutrients it needs to grow.  Sure enough her beloved black hair algae all died, and she was ranting about it.  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Are you sure the new reading is correct as that sounds unlikely, and I would have thought you would have had shrimps dying  with that sort of decrease. Do you have a second way of checking the TDS, or can you take a sample to a fish shop for them to test? I can't think of any reason that would happen or even heard of that before? Even if you had put pure RO water in last water change it wouldn't have dropped that far! If it is currently the TDS113 it will make adjusting easy as you just mix the water to the desired end TDS figure (140ish) and it will slowly go up to that. Simon
    • jayc
      That's weird. TDS never goes down, it only ever goes up unless you did a water change with pure RO water, or perhaps a misreading from the TDS meter. Try testing it again.  Check your TDS pen against Pure RO water. It should read close to zero. Check the TDS meter against tap water, or something you kinda know what the reading should be to make sure that the TDS meter is still working as expected. To loose calibration by 100+ is quite a lot. You can try brushing the TDS meter's probe with a soft brush under tap water to make sure there is nothing effecting the reading.
    • supermansteve32
      I was going to do a water change this week and I checked my TDS and it's 113. Not sure how that happened. Last week my TDS was 240 after water change and my salty shrimp RO mix was 200. Maybe everything settled down? I'm at a loss. Anyone have any answers?  Thanks everyone
    • beanbag
      Another thing you can do to avoid rescaping: Just take some of the fresh soil and put it in your filter.
    • Zenplay,thailand
      Thx ^^